Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
1crosscut

Default Any Model A folks in Ireland?

The wife and I will be heading there in a few weeks to celebrate our 25th. If anyone knows of any folks that have an A or two there it would be fun to meet up with them. I've done a search for Model A clubs in Ireland and have had no luck.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Any Model A folks in Ireland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
The wife and I will be heading there in a few weeks to celebrate our 25th. If anyone knows of any folks that have an A or two there it would be fun to meet up with them. I've done a search for Model A clubs in Ireland and have had no luck.
I lived in Ireland from 8 Mar 2002-17 Mar 2006. I live just south of Dublin in County Wicklow. I travelled all around Ireland from Kerry to Dublin, from County Cork to County Donegal and four counties in Northern Ireland and not once did I see a Model A, let alone any American made car considered to be either an antique or a classic but I did blink now and then so I could have miss seeing one.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Tim Armstrong

I been there 5 times and could not find a Model A. Did find a couple of Anglia's. You will fall in love with Ireland.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
ModAfan

My wife and I had a summer place in Galway for 35 years. I can't say that I ever saw a Model A, but the Veteran and Vintage Car Club of Ireland(www.ivvcc.ie) ran vintage car tours around the country every year back then. We got a kick out of watching them parade through the village.
The photo is of one of the many posters that heralded the races. The Ford factory in Cork City made Model Ts for many years, but I don't know about Model As.
There is a sculpture of a Model T at a memorial near the site of the long-gone factory.

Have fun on your trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shell run.jpg (81.0 KB, 11 views)
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
PC/SR

Spent 2 weeks in Ireland a couple of years ago, did not see a Model A. Asked around and no one I talked to knew anything about them. Did see the stainless steel T in the village near Cork. Can't find the pic on my computer. There was pub next door with a pic of Henry on the wall and that was it. It was kind of a rough place, not a car crowd.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Hoogah

Hey Dave, the closest thing I can see might be the Model T club - maybe they can give you a lead?

Club Name: The Irish Model T FORD Club
Club Type: Vintage Car Clubs
Club Description: Founded in 1990, the Irish Model T Ford Club has as it's objects the preservation of Cars and Commercial vehicles manufactured by Ford in the time frame 1908 to 1927. Of particular interest is the restoration and improvement of Ford vehicles of that era. We foster an interest in our hobby by promoting our Club, seeking membership and encouraging ownership of Model Ts. We do this by organizing monthly events from March to November comprising mainly day runs and including attendance at one or two static events and the holding of an annual maintenance course. Our membership about 120 in all. At a guess our membership together have about 200 serviceable cars.
Website Address: http://www.Irishmodeltclub.ie
Tel No.: 00353 214353733
Club Address: 27 Cork Road, Midleton, Co. Cork

Enjoy the trip, Model A or no Model A!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
JohnLaVoy

I was there a few years ago. You will love it. My favorite city was Sligo which is on the northern border and Atlantic ocean. we found eating in the pubs was a way to enter act with the locals, the food was great and more reasonable than the fancier restaurants.

There are several Model A folks in England you might contact one of them for some leads, they are listed in the MAFCA and MARC rosters.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
barnstuf

In April 1944 I was on a ship that spent 2 days at a dock in Belfast. I saw two Model A sedans in the dock area converted to run on what I assumed was wood or charcoal. They had large apparatus on trunk racks on the rear to convert from gasoline to what I assumed was charcoal. I only observed from a distance. In more recent times in the small town where I live is a lady originally from Ireland who married a local man. She has a brother in Ireland who owns a Model A and for years if she was going back there to visit family she would obtain parts he needed and carry them as luggage. So there is at least one A accounted for.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Where abouts in Ireland are you heading?
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Ireland and Northern Ireland are both wonderful and beautiful countries. Been in each numerous times. Never saw an antique car.

BUT, neither are what I would call 'car countries' driving is very dangerous. Not a good place to have a Model A Ford.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
1crosscut

It seems confirmed that Model A's are pretty scarce in Ireland. Hoogah I will contact the Model T club and if I can't find any A's. Perhaps a peek at a T or two will do. If I can't see any old cars while I'm there I will just have to spend a little more time fishing. I understand the Northern Pike fishing can be pretty good. I always try to wet my line in any country that I go to.
John Buckley in response to your question as to where we are going we have no set route, schedule or place we have to be at any certain time. Will probably explore the Northwest, West and Southwest with a bit of the central thrown in. Renting a car and just heading out. Have yet to decide if we will go clockwise or anti clockwise. Planning on staying the night in a bed and breakfast where ever we end up for the day. If none available we'll sleep in the car. Done it before, just adds to the adventure. Making a list of stuff we would like to see and do. The list is long and there is no hope of seeing it all. Just have to go back I suppose.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
In April 1944 I was on a ship that spent 2 days at a dock in Belfast. I saw two Model A sedans in the dock area converted to run on what I assumed was wood or charcoal. They had large apparatus on trunk racks on the rear to convert from gasoline to what I assumed was charcoal. I only observed from a distance. .....
During World War II there was an acute shortage of petrol for domestic use in Australia. This was well before the days when Australia's Bass Strait oil fields were even thought of, and all fuel was imported.

The answer for private motorists, carriers, tradespeople and farmers was to install a gas producer on their vehicle.

These units burned wood, coal or briquettes to produce a gas which could be burned in place of petrol and thus power the engines.

Ford Australia worked with the University of Melbourne, the Vacuum Oil Co (later to become Mobil), Shell Oil Company, and the Powell Gas Producer Co to develop an efficient gas producer which would not gum up the engine with tar or cause excessive wear because of too many dust particles.

The result was a highly efficient version of the Powell Gas Producer, so Ford began mass production for fitting to new vehicles and for after market fitting to existing vehicles.

(From interesting website: http://www.fastlane.com.au/content/Fordfeatures.asp)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GasProducerOnFordUte.jpg (24.8 KB, 26 views)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
johnbuckley

1 Crossscut, I've sent you a private message.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I spent 3 weeks in Dublin and area in 1995 and not only did I not see an A, I don't remember seeing an American car. Friendly, friendly people for sure and their. Pubs are like no other. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I spent 3 weeks in Dublin and area in 1995 and not only did I not see an A, I don't remember seeing an American car. Friendly, friendly people for sure and their. Pubs are like no other. Wayne
I was last in that area about a year ago. Saw LOTS of Fords mostly Focus and Kuga (Escape over here). Not sure where they are built but saw a lot of 'em Also the usual Japanese and Korean cars.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

In 1987 my dad and I spent 3 weeks in West Germany and about the only American cars I saw were Fords. The GM cars were only about 1/10th the number of Fords.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In 1987 my dad and I spent 3 weeks in West Germany and about the only American cars I saw were Fords. The GM cars were only about 1/10th the number of Fords.

With german plates or GI plates?

I was in Germany during the time the dollar dropped out and the Mark was strong back in the mid to late 70s, early 80s. Germans bought up American cars like beer. They didn't last long, Germans thought they could drive them on the autobahn like they did their Beemers, Volvos, VW turbos and the rest of the top European made cars.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
1 Crossscut, I've sent you a private message.
Thanks John!!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 AM   #19
juke joint johnny

Contrary to popular belief I think yoou will find a few Model A's in Ireland , you just need to know where to find them .

Contact Mike Cobell of the GB A Club he is the membership secretary ; [email protected]

Also the Vintage sports car club they do a lot of hill climb events Model A 's in that as well; www.vscc.co.uk

Enjoy your Trip Let us know how you get on
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
Ted Duke

My wife and I spent eleven days in Ireland a few years back. I drove us around southern Ireland for eight of those days and found it very pleasant driving. We did Dublin and then picked up the car. Toured Cobh (Queenstown), Waterford, Rock of Cashel, Killmallock in County Limerick, the Dingle, Cliffs of Mohr, etc. Loved it all.

Just remember to stay LEFT and be alert for cars parked askew in towns. My wife's cousin said, "Oh that, some people don't park, they just abandon their cars." I did NOT see any old cars that I recognized. LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote