Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
southfork

Default How rare are the 28-29 Murrys with unusual cowls?

I once saw an article in a magazine that suggested that the Murray bodied 1928-29 Model A Fords that have the gas tank inside the cowling rather than bolted on top of it are extremely rare. Is that truly the case? If so, are those bodies and cowls particularly collectible and pricey? I know you don't see many of them these days, but maybe that's because nobody wanted to restore one???
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
charlesea

Default Re: How rare are the 28-29 Murrys with unusual cowls?

All Murray bodies were 4 door cars & all had the gas tank inside the cowl. Same goes for Briggs bodies. I think I am correct in saying that Ford did not make these bodies.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
I once saw an article in a magazine that suggested that the Murray bodied 1928-29 Model A Fords that have the gas tank inside the cowling rather than bolted on top of it are extremely rare. Is that truly the case? If so, are those bodies and cowls particularly collectible and pricey? I know you don't see many of them these days, but maybe that's because nobody wanted to restore one???
I venture to guess it has more to do with no one really wants to rewood one!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08502.jpg (119.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08503.jpg (94.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08504.jpg (119.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06946.jpg (113.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07640.jpg (106.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07816.jpg (143.3 KB, 62 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

That is a ridiculous amount of lumber. You'd think Henry and his minions would have taken a look at arch enemy Dodge Brothers, and the all steel bodies they had been producing for years.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Roadster62

I just came up from the basement to make a cup of coffee after working on mine. First off I'm not restoring my '29 Steelback Fordor to dead stock, and so far there are parts from 6 different Briggs and Murry Fordors. I'll have questions and details to post as things move along. I think my Murray cowl is a far better piece than a Briggs, I sure hope the mint Briggs cowl I bought at the Cider Mill meet yesterday can be fit to the Murray cowl frame. Murray spot welded it on, Briggs nailed it to a wood frame. This is a learning experiance for me, I'm making notes. Bob
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Roadster62

Brent, I wish this site had the cut and paste feature, if so your above photo of the cowl would be here with this questiion. That is a Murray cowl, correct? Is there any other body that used that bracket that is welded to the toeboard bracket? It has the curve that looks like it would fit to a "Normal" model A cowl. Bob
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Dick Carne

The '28 -'29 Briggs and Murray cowl sections are the same (I replaced the standard cowl section on my Briggs bodied fordor with a Murray Town Sedan cowl with absolutely no issues). Although the roof panels over the doors were nailed to the header (on both body manufacturers), once the visor was attached, it is my understanding that the seam at the visor and front door post were then brazed or leaded-in together to appear as one solid piece - at least it was on the Briggs-bodied cars. I gave a similar '29 Murray bodied Town Sedan to my daughter and her husband - if it would help I'll be glad to take a look at it the next time I am over at their place. Hope this helps.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote