Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Bruce Adams

Default Modern Style Bendix Failure

At starting, Thursday evening on the way to a Formal Gatsby Event, my engine made a horrible BURNED OUT BEARING NOISE that scared me half to death. I envisiond bad connecting rod, bad insert bearing, etc. I even called Rich from Antique Engine Rebuilders who helped me diagnose the problem over the phone.
It was a BAD MODERN STYLE BENDIX FAILURE that had to be cut off the starter with a hydraulic cutter wheel to get to the set screw. It would not even move in a vise or with a GIANT channel locks.

I now have the traditional Bendix back in the car with spare bolts and a magnet in the tool box if it fails.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Bob-A

Exclamation Re: Modern Style Bendix Failure

Bruce,

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the modern style bendix failure!
I've just heard to many bad stories like your's to use the one I bought years ago.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Benson

Default Re: Modern Style Bendix Failure

1. Was it a 6 volt starter?

2. Or a 6 volt one running on 12 volts?

3. Or one converted to 12 volt field coils?

4. Any photos of damage?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
At starting, Thursday evening on the way to a Formal Gatsby Event, my engine made a horrible BURNED OUT BEARING NOISE that scared me half to death. I envisiond bad connecting rod, bad insert bearing, etc. I even called Rich from Antique Engine Rebuilders who helped me diagnose the problem over the phone.
It was a BAD MODERN STYLE BENDIX FAILURE that had to be cut off the starter with a hydraulic cutter wheel to get to the set screw. It would not even move in a vise or with a GIANT channel locks.

I now have the traditional Bendix back in the car with spare bolts and a magnet in the tool box if it fails.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Pinstripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
1. Was it a 6 volt starter?

2. Or a 6 volt one running on 12 volts?

3. Or one converted to 12 volt field coils?

4. Any photos of damage?

Thanks
same questions here
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I've been running an original 6 volt starter on 12 volts with the modern starter drive on my roadster for seven years with no problem. I did install a new ring gear on the flywheel when I put the car together.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Bruce Adams

6 volt original system. We had to cut the Bendix open to get to the set screw since it would not move along its axis at all. If a photo would help, ask again and I will take it and post it.

Last edited by Bruce Adams; 05-19-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I've been running an original 6 volt starter on 12 volts with the modern starter drive on my roadster for seven years with no problem. I did install a new ring gear on the flywheel when I put the car together.
Hey Purdy, TIMES 2 !
Love mine...running 12V on an ORIGINAL non rebuilt A starter nearly 9 yrs!

BOB-A,
Please do not throw away the one that you bot and won't now use! Donate it to a GOOD cause,eh! I could/would use it in the setup I'm now building

BTW- as we all know, stuff often works as designed when used/installed as designed..just saying..

Last edited by hardtimes; 05-19-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: .........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Bruce Adams

My Modern Style Bendix worked perfectly for seven years and probably a thousand starts, but then it failed with no warning.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Sorry to hear of your problems. I suppose that problems can arise with either setup. I've had problems with the original bendix from time to time. The features that I like about the modern drive is that it doesn't have external springs to bend or bolts to drop. Another plus is they don't have an exposed helix to collect oil and clutch dust. I figure that there is more than one manufacturer of these starter drives. I run one of mine on 12 volt and another on 6 volt. I got mine from Snyder and the price is the same for either style drive. I see that they now have a special tool to compress the drive to make it easier to remove the screw. They didn't have this tool when I installed mine.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
SAJ

Here is a picture of mine which failed suddenly on 6 volts. It was in for about a year and failed in my driveway. The woodruffe key was punched right through the shell when the circlip flange broke off. This unit was marked "made in India" on the bag, which came from Snyders. My friend's unit also failed in the same way, after having just been installed. He put another one in and it has been OK for a couple of years.
Because this barrel-type drive is so easy to install and I lost the front bolt from my Bendix recently, when the new tab washer tongue broke off, I have put in another Indian Barrel drive and put a spare new one under my seat. The old Bendix was put back in to replace the first failed barrel drive. We replaced the bolt that fell out,and put in a new tab washer whilst on a rally. On returning to Auckland, I pulled it out again to have a look and the other bolt (rear one this time) had forced the tab partly back and was loose, though not yet falling out. I guess it is just bad luck, because I have worked on and replaced many other Bendixes (on Model A's that is) with no problems, and many people swear by these new-type barrel drives.
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130218_195218 (Custom).jpg (56.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20130218_195401 (Custom).jpg (52.4 KB, 42 views)
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote