Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
wingski

Default what category

What category would a 1931 Ford tudor with a Mustang II front end, disc brakes all the way around with chrome spoke wheels, 4 cylinder OHC, automatic or six-speed tranmission, rack and pinion steering with tilt and possibly telescoping wheel, air-conditioning, electric widows, modern comfortable bucket seats, a modern matching chrome spoke on the rear-end, and a gas tank not in the cowl be called?

It isn’t a hot rod, It sure isn’t a muscle car. Would street rod be appropriate or maybe just modernized A?

Please no smart-ass comments. I really need to know so I can narrow down my search for this type of car. It’s on the top of my bucket list, and I want to own one before I croak.

I may be old, but I’m still very young at heart.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: what category

I would call it a street rod, a very mild one. I have never seen one that meets your requirements, you might want to prioritize what is most important or plan on building it. Also post your question on HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/). Remember that the disc brakes will throw dust all over the chrome spoke wheels and keep you busy cleaning them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
What category would a 1931 Ford tudor with a Mustang II front end, disc brakes all the way around with chrome spoke wheels, 4 cylinder OHC, automatic or six-speed tranmission, rack and pinion steering with tilt and possibly telescoping wheel, air-conditioning, electric widows, modern comfortable bucket seats, a modern matching chrome spoke on the rear-end, and a gas tank not in the cowl be called?
Mike
That's pretty specific. Sounds like you'll be commissioning one.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
wingski

Charlie, I shoild have added that I want those spokes to be knock-offs. As for cleaning them, I’ve got my Blue Magic, an old toothbrush, and some really dense fiber towels, I love to look at those things. I love to clean them, I love to tune them. I guess you could say that I really love chrome spoke rims. However, no way should they ever be put on a muscle car.

Mike
Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Did Shay ever make a Tudor? Kind of sounds like what you are looking for.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
JDupuis

It could be considered a "resto-mod" or a "pro-touring" as this car is designed to be driven on modern highways.
I hope you find what you are looking for Mike.
Your buddy in Canada. Jeff
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

IMO it would be a street rod. If what you described was a "roadster" or "phaeton" it would be a Shay or Glastique (sp?) but to my knowledge they did NOT make a tudor.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
jimalabam

Street Rod or the more modern term - Retrow Rod..
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Synchro909

On eof the names we would call such a car is "Restorod". (Pronounced Restore - rod)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

My favorite, the Cosworth Model A... https://youtu.be/iFSGSL3Nrmc
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Street rod.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
wingski

Boy, do I wish that Shay made a tudor. They didn't, but I think they would have been popular.

Mike

P.S. I don't think Shay liked roll-up windows.

Last edited by wingski; 03-28-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #13
pbishop

When you say 4-C OHC are you referring to 'after market head' mounted on a Model A block? What carburation does the car have? With 'all' the upgrades you speak of it would seem to fit a 'street rod' category. If you enter your car in a show or competition it will be classified.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:13 AM   #14
pbishop

If you go to the 'Hot Rod Forum' you may receive a more accurate determination.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
CHuDWah

Quote:

It isn’t a hot rod, It sure isn’t a muscle car. Would street rod be appropriate or maybe just modernized A?

Please no smart-ass comments. I really need to know so I can narrow down my search for this type of car. It’s on the top of my bucket list, and I want to own one before I croak.

Mike

I'd call it a street rod or restorod but there really is no definitive term - depends on the interpretation of who's using it.

Not being a smart-ass but I gotta ask why a 4-cylinder? If you mean a Model A engine with an OHV conversion, that's one thing. But I assume you're thinking something like a Ford 2.3/2.5. In stock form, those are only 100 HP or less and automatic and air will eat up a chunk of that. With all the other mods you mention, you're already getting pretty far afield from a stock Model A - why not go with a V8? If you're looking to buy a car already built, one like you describe with a 4 will be harder to find.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 03-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #16
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Did Shay ever make a Tudor? Kind of sounds like what you are looking for.

No, only roadsters, open cab pickups, and a few C-cab panels - interestingly, the side panels on the latter opened awning-style. When Camelot Motors took over, they also made a few phaetons. Also interestingly, those were 28-29 style with only two doors - a 28-29 "Deluxe Phaeton".
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Vin-tin

Quote:

Mike
You might have a very hard time finding a Model A exactly like you describe. Anyone spending mega dollars to build a car like that certainly wont be putting a 4 cylinder in it.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
slammin

Mike,
I see hundreds of As for sale that have been altered. Hot rods, street rods, call them what you wish. There are many that retain a stock look, not chopped, channeled or shaved. Unless you want to spend 6 figures to have what you want built by a custom builder, you are going to have to compromise. Most used are going to have V-8 power. I've seen a few V-6s listed. A modern 4 banger will be almost impossible to find. I'd guess that at least half the As on eBay are far from stock. If you throw out the rat rod crap wagons, there are lots of good looking "street" rods. Be prepared to part with 30K + for a well sorted professional build. Any time you are shopping for this kind of car, you better be prepared to jump on a plane for a personal inspection before any cash trades hands. Happy hunting!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned. Most people, myself included, think you are going to need to build your car to get exactly what you want. If you sell it when you are finished you are going to have trouble getting your money out of it. I am 74 years old, way to old for a project like you envision. I would recommend cutting back your requirements and buying something you can drive now. For your info my car (not for sale) has a 4 cylinder, 181 cubic inch Mercruiser engine (a BIG Chevy II) but none of the other requirements.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card1 001.jpg (89.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-30-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote