Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Jackstands for storage?

I've read several posts where folks put their A's up on jackstands when they store it for the winter and others don't. For the past few years I've used jackstands but was wondering if it's necessary or not. I usually put my A up around October or November and take her out around April.
Any thoughts?

sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
WestCoast

Default Re: Jackstands for storage?

its best to have your car up on stands if its going to be stored for a long time, stops your tire from getting flat spots on the bottom of tires
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

it will be fine on the ground plus it gives you the opportunity to go around the block on a half decent day... if it makes you feel better lift it...
i never had a flat spot issue from winter hybernation
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Thought One: Your tires will not develop "flat" spots.

Thought Two: Mickey Mouse will have to jump up higher to build nests in your upholstery.

Thought Three: Wood Model A Body? Dirt Floor without vapor barrier? Moisture Content?

IAW Building Codes, wood joists 18" or higher above grade, (with more air ventilation and less moisture condensation) do not have to be provided with treated lumber.

Thought Four: ......... ?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Aok

I do not do that but if its good weather(no salt on the )I like taking a ride in the winter. The flat spots clear up after a short ride so unless long term in years. I would not use the stands
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
BlueSunoco

If you're worried about flat spotting, you can also just stroll out to the garage every other week during the winter and push/pull the A into a different spot so the tires are not sitting on the same spot.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
mshmodela

I say, one never knows when you might need to get your car out of the garage in a hurry... I'd keep the tires on the ground....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
monto

In my opinion, it is healthier for a car to be driven, even if only a few times, during the off season. They are made to be driven. (also healthy for the owner/driver!) We all know what happens when one sits for extended periods..
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Thoughts for any Model A owner who lives in an area where there can be cool or cold nights followed by warmer very humid days ...... "even sometimes" ...... remember that warm moist air will always condense on cold iron surfaces like going outside with a glass of ice in the summer.

I bought a Model A which had been placed in storage for 25 years by a car collector.

When I got it, the engine was running very well; however, when I dropped the oil pan, one (1) side of the cam had very deep rust pits on the shiny cam lobes, caused by condensation in the crankcase.

Running the engine occasionally always helps to maintain the engine with lubricating oil on all interior surfaces.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
hangarb7

Unless you are going away for over a couple months, I wouldn't put it up on stands, for all the reasons stated above. I did however, put a vapor barrier down on the floor, with a carpet on top for moisture to not collect on the bottom as much. It really works and I even put a small computer type fan under the car to allow air to circulate. Here in PA we get those moist cold days where condensation collects. In my mind, better to run the car in and out of the garage a few times to loosen things up. I do it every two weeks in the winter

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
harleytoprock

If the motor doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the condensation your asking for trouble.
I think the worse thing to do is run it for only 5 minutes in cold weather. If can't be run long enough for the oil to get up to temp, then don't start it. With short multiple cold runs, your oil could start to look like a milkshake. Trans oil also.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
If the motor doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the condensation your asking for trouble.
I think the worse thing to do is run it for only 5 minutes in cold weather. If can't be run long enough for the oil to get up to temp, then don't start it. With short multiple cold runs, your oil could start to look like a milkshake. Trans oil also.
This brings up a good point, I've only had my A for a year, last winter I was not able to start or drive her because the carb was screwed up...so she sat without starting from October until probably June when I finally had the time to put the new carb in...she started right up first try.

If you were so inclined to start the car periodically and even better take her for a drive on nice days over the winter what would be the minimum amount of time to be sure everything had come up to temperature.

Nick
Old 09-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
This brings up a good point, I've only had my A for a year, last winter I was not able to start or drive her because the carb was screwed up...so she sat without starting from October until probably June when I finally had the time to put the new carb in...she started right up first try.

If you were so inclined to start the car periodically and even better take her for a drive on nice days over the winter what would be the minimum amount of time to be sure everything had come up to temperature.

Nick
do u have a t-stat
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
do u have a t-stat
Yes, I do.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #15
billwill

Leave the car on the floor check air presure once ever so orten rollback and forward take it for ride once so often Enjoy your car or truck Good luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #16
harryc

I have had problems with flat spots developing after several months of storage. I ignored it for years and figured I could always buy new tires if I developed a lasting problem. About 4 years ago I bought 4 new michelins for my Triumph at a cost of about $1100. It sat through the winter and when I drove it in the spring it was like driving on cobblestones. After a couple of months I broke down and purchased new tires as I couldn't get the old ones to smooth out. Now I keep all My cars on jack stands for anything longer than a month-----just as a precaution.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #17
harleytoprock

Some tires develop flat spots from sitting and some tires don't. It depends on the tire's type of ply material.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

I don't always do it, but I think jack stands is a good idea. When I jack up for the last pair, I leave the jack in place, but without pressure on it. This saves time if I need to move the car quickly.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote