Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Current market value of Tudors

M2M, I have a '28 Tudor and have done many miles in it. My wife didn't like the passenger's seat but I had no problem with the driver's seat, probably because I have the steering wheel to hold onto. I put Morris Minor seats into it and covered them with the same cloth as was used in the original restoration. Only one person has picked it. Other than that, how important is originality to you? There will no doubt be seats from some small Japanese or European car that would fit.
If you haven't bought by the time you get back here, you're welcome to have a look and try of mine.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #22
monto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I have two and don't have a problem with the front seats...I do have the 6" adjusters installed as I like more leg room
Ditto:- There's enough dimension in a Tudor to move the seats around to accommodate one's seated posture -- with adjusters, leg rests and other components in the parts catalogs. Easily done using a little bit of 'trial and error'.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

As a kid, Chief, Momma & I traveled a LOT, in an all BLACK '29 Tudor. I always appreciated the LONG rear side window, I told them, "It's my WINDOW to the WORLD"!!
Bill W.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #24
Marshall V. Daut

As far as numbers go, approximately 1.5 million Model "A" Tudor Sedans were built, equating to 1/4 of all Model "A's" (1/4 of 5 million). That right there makes their odds of survival in large numbers logical. The lack of major structural wood has helped Tudors survive while Fordors, Cabriolets and other wooden structure body styles literally rotted away and fell apart. Also, after the Model "A" had become just another old car, the younger generations tended to go for the "flashier" body styles (roadsters, coupes, phaetons) for their post-WWII hot rods and just plain h*ll-bent-for-leather driving and chewed them up, while the more austere Tudor Sedan dodged this fate. Dirt track racers generally favored the roadsters and coupes, which further diminshed their numbers, but kept the Tudors safe. Unlike roadsters and coupes with their trunk or rumble lids, water was unlikely to get inside and rot the subframe/fender wells on a Tudor.
Another survival factor invloves the people who bought Tudors originally. They were normally families and they took better care of their family car than one might expect a younger person would treat his bottom-of-the-line inexpensive roadster. Not in every case, of course, but more often than not.
All of these factors contribute to the high survival rate of the Tudor Sedans today. And because of the age-old economics axiom about supply and demand, this has kept the Tudor values compartively low. That's good news and bad news. The good news is that the Tudor is an excellent entry level Model "A" for the beginner in our hobby and is beloved by thousands of owners. They can be found fairly easily and purchased for much less than a DeLuxe Roadster or other more "desirable" body styles. The bad news is the Tudor can cost as much if not more to restore than other body styles, but do not generally bring as much when it's time to sell. There is also a lot of competition with other Tudors, as the original poster pointed out.
By the way, I personally lean towards the '28-'29 style in Tudors, but I have also seen some might fine-looking '30-'31 restorations.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #25
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
As a kid, Chief, Momma & I traveled a LOT, in an all BLACK '29 Tudor. I always appreciated the LONG rear side window, I told them, "It's my WINDOW to the WORLD"!!
Bill W.
They have windows in Calistoga's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LuggagePointwagon.jpg (68.4 KB, 11 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
M2M

Thumbs up Re: Current market value of Tudors

Thanks guys for your the replies.

Most of you are giving the thumbs up; that's a good sign. I guess the only way to know for sure if I like Tudor seating is to go in a ride in one. Plus seat comfort can always be improved.

Anyway, I'll see how I go with my search for a black era Model T runabout or pickup. I'll be in the USA very soon. If no luck with a Model T, I have a list containing ten closed car Model As that seem real nice priced between $10-12K. Just amazing value!

Can someone tell me the garage door height needed to fit a closed car...are the 30-31 cars the same as 28-29?
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #27
burner31

Even the fordor town sedans are smaller than they look, and will fit into any normal American/Australian garage...all years
Old 09-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #28
burner31

I would not have thought you folks living in the land down under would have a problem with garage height/ head room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (11).jpg (9.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg images (33).jpg (9.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg images (34).jpg (7.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg images (35).jpg (8.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Jay's Model A's

Location: New Braunfels, Texas.. Member of Alamo A's, MARC & MAFCA

I took the original springs out of my 28 Sport Coupe, 29Tudor and 30Coupe and replaced them with 8 inch high density foam on the seats and 6 inch high density foam for the back rest...WOW what a comfortable ride...people said "The foam won't hold up BUT. 5 years have gone by and they still ride great"...Jay
Jay's Model A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #30
Jwilli

My 1930 Murray fordor sedan fits just fine through the standard 7 ft high garage door.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #31
ronn

Bill,
good for you!

nothing like 2 Clydesdale powering your rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I have two and don't have a problem with the front seats...I do have the 6" adjusters installed as I like more leg room
Mitch, I also have a 2door. Where can you get the 6in. extensions ?
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Mitch, I also have a 2door. Where can you get the 6in. extensions ?
Hi Spokes,
snyders has them
a little pricey but they look decent once installed and also tilt up and down...

i have them in both my cars but when i go to AACA competition events i put the originals back in
they make a huge difference in comfort....
a set only does one seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.5 KB, 61 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Mitch, Buster T. here,
I thought you used them "dog leg" ones, but I didn't "think" they made 6" ones, I haven't scanned the catalog lately. MAN, you got them HIGH DOLLAR DUDES!!! Ur you as tall as Bro Gregg? He wuz 6' 6 1/2" & changed lite bulbs, EASY! We miss him
Buster T.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #35
maxandmickey

love these model a
maxandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote