Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default Shop heater follow up

Thanks gang for all the input. Turns out my "three year old heater" is actually six years old. LOL. I did call the Cadet Heater factory which is 130 miles south of me and the darn thing has a five year warranty. Anyway our local Home Depot has taken them off the shelf (seasonal item). I did find a local shop that carries replacement motors for $95. and I'll be back in the race.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
real550A

Default Re: Shop heater follow up

Good deal, Bob. Sorry if we got off track, it is a broad subject with a lot of solutions!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Hey no worries Mike. In fact after reading all the responses I realized I blew a great opportunity. Three years ago I had a brand new concrete driveway put in. Not 6 feet away was the gas pipe line going into my chimney. What an idiot! it would have been a snap to have had a gas line put in before the pour. DUH!
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Hey no worries Mike. In fact after reading all the responses I realized I blew a great opportunity. Three years ago I had a brand new concrete driveway put in. Not 6 feet away was the gas pipe line going into my chimney. What an idiot! it would have been a snap to have had a gas line put in before the pour. DUH!
That hurts! I have a small workshop I wish had gas. Even though the end of the house nearest the shop has the gas feed I still have about 65' of concrete between the two!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
That hurts! I have a small workshop I wish had gas. Even though the end of the house nearest the shop has the gas feed I still have about 65' of concrete between the two!
Ya Marco, there are companies that feed piping under concrete, that are there specialities. Give it a try Marco, Gas is nice to have. Good luck.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Barry B./ Ma.

Mine is fueled by propane and although it's $6.00 / gal. it would have been a 100 ft. run from the house underground to go with natural gas. They won't allow natural gas and propane on the same lot but the barn is on the next lot.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Mine is fueled by propane and although it's $6.00 / gal. it would have been a 100 ft. run from the house underground to go with natural gas. They won't allow natural gas and propane on the same lot but the barn is on the next lot.
My gas line runs 225 feet from the house to the shop. The gas company made it up with the needed end fittings quite cheaply. I buried it and my heating contractor hooked it up. I wouldn't let distance prevent it especially with the favorable cost of gas.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Smitty

My shop is about 15 feet from the house, natural gas to the house so I put in a Modine Hot Dawg heater. Ran the pipe along the deck then underground to the garage.
Beautiful, nice and toasty all winter;-)
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
allison-tech

The cost for heat in my shop is almost free, the shop is '70x'60, the heater is a Lanier waste oil heater, the fuel is old transmission fluid. I realize this isn't a real viable option for the average home shop, but it is great for a transmission shop, and those Allison trans.'s hold a lot of fluid.
allison-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

YUP!!
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
The cost for heat in my shop is almost free, the shop is '70x'60, the heater is a Lanier waste oil heater, the fuel is old transmission fluid. I realize this isn't a real viable option for the average home shop, but it is great for a transmission shop, and those Allison trans.'s hold a lot of fluid.
That or a wood stove is the way to go for cheap heat. I talked to my friend at the Ford garage in S.D. and he told me he couldn't give me any drain oil. He said EPA makes them send it all to some outfit that has a license to take drain oil. EPA has gotten out of control!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
real550A

" EPA has gotten out of control!"
I agree, Tom. The modern waste oil heaters burn just as, if not much, cleaner than many forms of gas burners. There is no reason they should be a problem.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Keith True

It's not the burning of the used oil,that is approved,it is the transportation of it that the DES gets all wormy about.My first waste oil furnace was a Lanair,then in 1986 I bought a Clean Burn,I am still using that.It seemed like for years they looked the other way when it came to us hauling oil to burn.It was a win-win situation for all of us.People got rid of their oil without worrying it would come back to bite them later,we got heat,and the oil was disposed of in an approved manner.Whenever the state gets somebody new in the department they start clamping down on folks offering it for free on craigslist,and on folks looking for it too.It is easy to get a license to take oil,the problem is that you have to fill out paperwork with the givers name and info on it.At that point your oil supply dries up.All they do is to create an ecological disaster.That oil goes somewhere,but who knows where?Years ago I used to get about 600 gallons a year from a gang of fishermen,the DES got after them about giving it away and after me for taking it.Apparently they gave up changing their oil,as they never bought any more in bulk,or disposed of any.Every one of that crew is now either dead or retired,and I never dealt with the next generation.I have always owned or worked on trucks so I have a lot of friends that change their oil at my garage.That is legal,generated on site.11-15 gallons per change adds to the oil tank pretty good.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
" EPA has gotten out of control!"
I agree, Tom. The modern waste oil heaters burn just as, if not much, cleaner than many forms of gas burners. There is no reason they should be a problem.
I doubt that. How about the trace metals that you are putting in the air for us to breath. Best to recycle used oil.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Keith True

Brian,where do you think a lot of the recycled oil is going? It is sold to people with waste oil furnaces,with millions of gallons going to heat greenhouses.They are huge gobblers of waste oil.Delivered price is generally half of what # 2 is retailing at,but it is only available when the greenhouses are well stocked.I have bought quite a bit of it from the recyclers over the last 25 years.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote