Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Bursonaw

Default Brake Drums

Can anyone tell me what year these front brake drums are from? I was originally told that they would work for 1936 cars but I the found that the hub is 1 7/8” recessed in the drum. A standard 36 brake drum is recessed 1”.

Hub is 1 7/8” recessed in the drum.

1” recessed for a standard 1936 front brake drum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Brake Drums

Your drum with the circumferential ribs at drum's outer edge, and with the five 'star-shaped' ridges running out from the hub is '36. '36 has the long, outer bearing snout. My pic shows '36 on left, and '37-'39 on right. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
Bursonaw

Thank you!

I guess when the car was converted to hydraulic brakes they used the later drums. I guess now I need to find one good front drum and see if I can recoup what I have put into these.

Regards

Tony

Old 08-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Bursonaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Your drum with the circumferential ribs at drum's outer edge, and with the five 'star-shaped' ridges running out from the hub is '36. '36 has the long, outer bearing snout. My pic shows '36 on left, and '37-'39 on right. DD

Do you know if you can use front 36 brake drums with a hydraulic brake conversion like you can with 37-39 brake drums?

Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
cas3

the bolt pattern on your 36 spindle to mount any of the hydraulic backing plates 39-48 are different than the 37 - 48 pattern spindles. so, if you are a good metal fabber, it could be done. most folks change spindles to fit the hyd. backing plates, and then of coarse your 36 front drums would not work with the newer spindles
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Bursonaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
the bolt pattern on your 36 spindle to mount any of the hydraulic backing plates 39-48 are different than the 37 - 48 pattern spindles. so, if you are a good metal fabber, it could be done. most folks change spindles to fit the hyd. backing plates, and then of coarse your 36 front drums would not work with the newer spindles

OK, I think I’ve got it,

I knew about the spindles being different and that you can buy an adapter kit for hydraulic backing plates and a bearing spacer to use later model drums. The backing plate bolt pattern needs to be modified to use the kit. I was not sure if you could use the hydraulic backing plates with 36 spindles and 36 brake drums. Sounds like there might be a compatibility issue with the 36 drums using hydraulic backing plates even if you have 36 Spindles?

Old 08-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
cas3

because the 36 spindle is longer, i believe there would be a difference in the depth where the backing plate mounts on the spindle. i've never done it, or compared the difference in depth between a 35-36, and preferred 37 & up. changing just the bolt pattern is easy, but a difference in the depth of the mount surface would make it more of a challenge. to change the bolt pattern, some folks change the holes in the backing plate, and some do the spindles. i did my 34 spindles by welding a piece of 1/4" square stock completely around the flange, then welded the 34 3/8" holes shut, and drilled in the 37 & up 1/2" holes. some finish grinding with a flap disk and you can not tell it was changed. how ever, 34 spindles have the depth very close to the hyd plates, so i did not have to deal with that. long 36 spindles are the main issue for any swap
Old 08-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
rich b

'36 spindles are the same from the flange outward as the later '37-'48 spindles and are not longer.

The appearance of deeper hub may give that impression; but the original backing plates had a deeper offset to match.

You can use '35-'48 rear hubs and '37-'48 front hubs with juice brakes.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Per Bruce Lancaster:

1928-35 all have smaller bolt pattern (requires rework of one set of holes or the other for later backing plate) and the longer actual spindle requiring a simple spacer to take later drums.
1936 is a hybrid...early bolt pattern, short spindle snout like '37-48.
1937-48 all have the larger bolt pattern and short spindle, differently shaped but interchangeable platform for the backing plate. Basic patterns match F1 and early F 100 trucks.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
cas3

per Rich b "The appearance of deeper hub may give that impression; but the original backing plates had a deeper offset to match." i guess described better than me, but still the issue is he is trying to use his 36 drums, which i believe are set up for the deeper offset and would not work with any of the hyd backing plates. correct?
Old 08-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
rich b

^^^^
Correct, '36 front hubs do not work with juice brakes.

On the other hand that '36 hub in the OP's picture is the two piece style and if his "bad" juice brake hub is also the two piece style; he could cut the swages, press out the studs, and piece the good parts together (if correct new studs could be located). Done that in the past; but last time we must have looked at every stud Little Dearborn had to find enough.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Bursonaw

Thank you to everyone. You have cleared up my questions on this. As my car was converted before I purchased it and I have not done the conversion myself. I was not aware of the differences in the 36 drums. I had a set of nice 36 drums setting on my shelf and thought incorrectly that I could use them. I found a set of 37-39 drums to replace the ones on the car so I should be set now.