Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default 55 Ford Ranch Wagon Back up Light Wiring

I was thinking about upgrading my Ranch Wagon project with back - up lights and wonder if anybody would have a wiring schematic or diagram that covers this. I already have the back-up light switch and bracket to install on the steering column, Since my base Ranch Wagon did not come standard with this option , I'm assuming the wiring loom does not have the necessary hot wire and rear wiring would not have the feeder wire back to the tail end of the car.
I will need to secure the back-up light sockets and pigtails to hook up into the housing above the existing tail light locations. None of that is a problem at this point in my build , I have plenty access to run the tail end wiring etc.
My main question would be then the manner in which the wiring is laid out at the front switch location and the original hot wire source. Would I tap into a terminal on the light switch or ignition access terminal ? Probably need to fuse this hot wire , just in case?
Interestingly , the 55 Ford shop manual covers a lot of wiring diagrams but has NOTHING on the back-up lights system.
Any info or a wiring schematic would be great! Thanks in advance if anybody has one to post.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 55 Ford Ranch Wagon Back up Light Wiring

Power source of the mid 50's Fords for the back up lights came from the light switch. You had to have either the parking lights or the headlights on for the back up lights to work.

Many owners changed the power supply to the ignition switch (accessory) so the lights would go on any time the car was put into reverse with the key on.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
steve fritz

Default Re: 55 Ford Ranch Wagon Back up Light Wiring

Thanks Paul...thats the answer I was looking for . Ignition switch will be my choice.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote