Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #21
Ruth

Default Re: Manifold Gland Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Ford only used them in 1928.
From Bratton's on-line catalog; The 4 rings that seat into the manifold and block to prevent leaks. Ford discontinued using these for a brief time in early 1929. If the manifold or block has been resurfaced, the width of the gland rings will need to be reduced by the same amount.

Last edited by Ruth; 07-31-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
I love reading all the comments from the experts and how one tells you to use them and someone tells you they are not needed! ❤️ it!
Yeah, I am definitely not an expert but I AM staying out of this one even though my opinion aligns with what has been stated above!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
redmodelt

The "Green book" show 1928 to 1934 with a B part number. As of it's printing in 1948 they had been discontinued being supplied thru Ford.

Ruth thank you for the correction on the year.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #24
Purdy Swoft

If gland rings are not used it will usually just be a matter of time before the exhaust manifold will begin to sag at the rear and need replacement . I'm fixing to install a new exhaust manifold on our roadster . From now on , I will use gland rings .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #25
Brian in Wheeling

New exhaust manifold..use the rings. Old manifold..maybe not. Particularly if it has been milled, etc. The engine block side will be deep enough, old manifold, maybe not.

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #26
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Wheeling View Post
New exhaust manifold..use the rings. Old manifold..maybe not. Particularly if it has been milled, etc. The engine block side will be deep enough, old manifold, maybe not.

Brian W.
The rings could be skinnied town to compensate.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
The Master Cylinder

Here is a third recommendation from a third vendor.

A9440 GLAND RINGS
THESE RINGS GO IN THE EXHAUST PORTS TO HELP WITH MANIFOLD GASKET LEAKAGE. WE RECOMMEND THAT ONLY THE 1ST AND 4TH HAVE THESE INSTALLED

Units per Quanitity ( Set )

In Stock

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #28
Licensed to kill

The timing for this thread couldn't be better. I'm was just in the process of reassembly when this thread started. Didn't even know "gland rings" were a thing. Since my manifolds are new (400 miles on them), and after reading all the comments, I decided that these rings are a good idea so I made some up on my lathe. Henry Ford wasn''t one to spend money where it wasn't necessary so if he thought they were not needed, he wouldn't have included them. Plus, the concept seems sound to me. Time will tell I suppose but pretty easy to remove if, for some reason they don't pan out. The reports of them ending up in the muffler are baffling to me. Unless they had a WAY too big of gap, it doesn't seem possible for them to come out that I can see. I WAS going to just make them solid with a snug fit but decided to make them a few thou oversize and cut them with a hacksaw to give me a little flex for ease of install and still have a snug fit. Ended up with about a .0010 gap. I read somewhere that without a gap (1/16" IIRC) they will expand and buckle and end up in the port. I'm not so sure about that since it seems to me that any pressure would be equal (due too them being round) and if they DO buckle it would be at the gap. If this happens, I can always make new ones, either with more gap for expansion or no gap (Make them a snug fit without cutting them). Anyway, thanks to the OP for starting the thread and thanks to all that responded.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #29
dmaxweb

I suspect someone here has the Ford drawings/specs.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #30
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I'm with Steve Becker..no modern application uses them.If your worried about your manifold drooping you need to rethink your priorities,that shouldn't even register on the list of worries driving a model a..

high temperature silicone sealant will help those with manifolds that aren't perfectly flat,tightening the nuts a few times,like torquing a head after a head gasket replacement, helps too.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #31
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
I'm with Steve Becker..no modern application uses them.
I can think of no modern application where 4 bolts hold both the exhaust and intake manifolds in the center and leave the end (with no support) to hold up the weight of the muffler and pipe.

And where did Steve state that "no modern application uses them".

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 08-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #32
redmodelt

"I'm with Steve Becker..no modern application uses them.If your worried about your manifold drooping"

Steve said Ford only used them in 1928. Modern applications used more bolts/studs through holes in the castings, not 4 studs and washers to support both manifolds leaving the tail end of the exhaust manifold more or less hanging.
If there is something in the Service Bulletins or the archives about them not being used after X date between 1927 to 1934, besides the info later in the 1948 Green Book, that would be different story.

Re the rings found in the exhaust pipe; there were some poor copies made years back that just kinda rolled themselves into a ball when got hot and dropped down in.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #33
Licensed to kill

Quote:
I'm with Steve Becker..no modern application uses them.
If that were true, why is my brand new manifold ported for them?.

Quote:
If your worried about your manifold drooping you need to rethink your priorities,
Putting the rings on a "priority" list would suggest that there is a BETTER reason to NOT use them. Even if you don't believe there is an upside to using them, what would be the down side to using them?.

Quote:
that shouldn't even register on the list of worries driving a model a..
Again, what's the downside. What am I missing??.

Quote:
high temperature silicone sealant will help those with manifolds that aren't perfectly flat,tightening the nuts a few times,like torquing a head after a head gasket replacement, helps too.
In my case, my manifolds are dead flat, retorqueing the nuts is just good practice for anything that goes through heat cycles IMO and silicone is a bandaid solution. It was not a big deal to make and install them and I am not aware of any downside to use them so, unless I am missing something (entirely possible) I don't understand the objection. Of course, after I run it for awhile perhaps I may, that remains to be seen but so far I haven't seen anything posted that would suggest that it's a BAD idea.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #34
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Easy boys its just my opinion,I tolerate yours...the gland ring does not increase clamping force,it holds alignment.Droop is an issue? Sure, but not a major issue

Silicone is a modern solution to many issues with early
engines if used correctly.

One of the reasons I raised compression,added fuel,run a header and use a mechanical advance distributor is increased efficiency, my engine and exhaust run cooler than a stock engine.A cooler exhaust doesn't burn gaskets or warp.

Last edited by Jack Shaft; 08-03-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #35
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Easy boys its just my opinion,I tolerate yours...
Don't misunderstand. I wasn't offended or meant any offence. Just asking for clarification on your statements.

Quote:
the gland ring does not increase clamping force,it holds alignment.Droop is an issue? Sure, but not a major issue
I don't think anyone was suggesting that they increase clamping force, in fact, if anything they may hinder it. While the "drooping" may be an issue, to my way of thinking, they afford a steel barrier keeping heat/flame away from the gasket and should help with gasket longevity especially when the lack of adequate clamping points is considered. there really should be a mounting stud on the outside of the two outer exhaust ports IMO.

Quote:
Silicone is a modern solution to many issues with early engines if used correctly
Absolutely but to remedy a warped manifold is, IMO a bandaid solution. Not saying I've never done it, I have (not on a model A) but resurfacing the manifold is the proper solution IMO. If I gave the impression that I was/am being hostile in any way, I apologize. It certainly his NOT the case. I don't only tolerate your opinions (as well as others) I appreciate them even when/if I may not agree.