Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
tom1948

Question 48 merc windows

I was just wondering if the rubber quarter window gaskets are the same for a business coupe and a sedan coupe? I'm trying to make the quarter windows inoperable.
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 48 merc windows

They might. I'm sorry I can't confirm one way or the other. A lot depends on how the pinch weld is different between the two models since that is what retains the glass in a fixed window installation. The sedan coupe has longer doors from front to rear but the quarter windows may be about the same size as a Ford business coupe. Maybe an owner can tell you more. The Mercury line didn't include a short door version of the coupe body like Ford did.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-08-2022 at 11:50 AM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
Automotive Stud

I don't think so. I have a '47 club coupe and my friend has a '41 business coupe. We checked to see if he could put the opening windows from mine into his but they are shorter on his car.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #4
Graeme / New Zealand

I've owned both 46 -48 styles of coupe. As far as I am aware the window size is the same but the escutcheons are different. the club coupe one has a channel to accept an opening type window rubber while the business cpe escutcheon has no such channel and is designed to jam against a seal that fits around the glass thereby sealing it shut permanently. you can probably interchange them coupe to coupe but there has never been any point to having an opening window in a business cpe unless you install a small seat in the back which is only really useful for kids. Short answer to your question to make them inoperable you would need business cpe escutcheons and window gasket/rubber. Interesting that Automotive Stud says there is a difference in the glass as I have always thought the only difference externally profile wise in the CC and the BC is the length of the door ( and its glass) and the roof panel.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
rotorwrench

A body parts manual for the Ford of those years and one for the Mercury cars of those years will answer part number differences but may not answer anything else. If parts are available for the opening quarter vent type then I would just repair what it has. Changing it may not be all that practical.

In the mid century Mercs of 1949 through 51 that I'm more familiar with, offered two and then three different 6 passenger coupe models. The standard budget model has fixed windows but the upper scale model and the later Monterey model had the flip out vent windows. The flip out type vent windows had their own frame that fit with the inside garnish molding. The standard just had a plain garnish molding with a rubber seal to hold the window glass. The seal has a groove for the stainless molding that is fitted to the outside. These type seals hold the glass to the pinch weld just like the rear window. Just try to find a specific seal for a fixed quarter glass. They don't make them for the 42 thru 48 fixed glass models. A person has to purchase bulk seal material and cut them to proper length and the join them together on the bottom for a clean looking and leak free installation.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote