Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 AM   #1
Clem Clement

Default Police engines

I understand Henry put the B head on Model As and called then Police heads?
I understand for the eV-8's the police version did not come until 1953? I'm confused!
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Police engines

In late 31 Ford made a 5.2 to 1 compression ratio model A head for police use,to identify it it has a large B cast into it,because of the B it gets confused with a model b production head,which is 4.6 to 1 and uses a 3 bolt V8 water pump.It became popular with the general public,The snyder 5.5 to 1 head is a copy of the chamber design,its called a 'heart chamber'.this snyder has been shaved.

Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
katy

Ford made aluminum heads for the early V8s, whether they were higher compression ratio than the cast iron heads I do not know.
I was told they were for use in the mountains as they cooled better. True? I dunno.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Benson

I have been using Police heads (the head with the large B) since 1963 long before it was so easy to find these heads or buy repros.

I loved blowing past the "experts" at 60 MPH in their shiny perfect cars at 12,000 feet in mountains.

These were the same guys that picked apart every detail that was wrong with my Sport Coupe driver.

Fenders are body color ... top has wrong material, wheels are 19 inch... And on and on and on! ...

And heaven forbid ... "It has a hole in the hood where a fan blade went through it!!! "

Last edited by Benson; 05-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
katy

Quote:
And heaven forbid ... "It has a hole in the hood where a fan blade went through it!!! "
It's called a battle scar, gives the car character.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Railcarmover
BANNED

I like'em both ways,stock and hopped up..aint much for the fancy paint.Ive got a 1936 model a 'service' head,a stock design A head casted in 1936,it seems a little stouter than a production head.

Ford script..and date coded..
Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

I wish I knew what the HP increase is over the standard head. But that head (Pictured) would scare me. It appears to have entirely too much removed. I could be wrong, but! I believe in shaving heads, just not that much! It was 5.2 when it was new, it's probably close to 7.0 now. Let us know how it works out. By the way, the thickness of the head when new was 2.218 or 2 and 7/32 (1/32 under 2.250 or 2 and 1/4) I has always heard it was OK to take 1/8 (.125) off a Mod A head. I don't know if that applies to the "B" head or not. Good Luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I've read that back in the day they would shave the head until the depth of the counter bore was only .030 thirty thousand . This was said to give the car more zip and power . This was probably before the police head was available . The shaved head still wouldn't have a compression ratio as high as the 5.2 B head . The B and C heads are concave on the valve side and if shaved too much it will lose clamping area on the valve side and this could cause a problem .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 05-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quench is the name of the measured distance between the head and piston at TDC.The engine I ran the shaved snyder on had zero piston protrusion,the distance the piston rises above the deck at TDC.Model a engines can have varying piston protrusion, I've seen .040..ford had a tolerance factor for protrusion,and over the year blocks have been decked.To use a zero piston relief head its important to factor quench to avoid the piston contacting the head.Quench is factored by taking the crushed head gasket thickness and subtracting protrusion..ideal model a quench is .040,which in my case I exceeded by .020 or so..or you can use plumbers putty and factor quench as well..but yeah Terry your right,you have to be on your game to run no piston relief.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
Clem Clement

so who made the B heads and what were they used for?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

As far as I know, Ford made them as an option for the police depts that were buying his cars. But why the "B" for an A, and the "C" head for the model B? Strange!
Terry
Old 05-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #12
Railcarmover
BANNED

And as a kicker there was no such thing as a C engine..
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
As far as I know, Ford made them as an option for the police depts that were buying his cars. But why the "B" for an A, and the "C" head for the model B? Strange!
Terry
To distinguish the higher compression "police head" from the regular head, Ford cast a 'B' on the head. When the 'B' engine came out, since Ford was already using 'B' for the Police Head, they used 'C' on the head because it was different from the previous heads (3 bolt water pump, mainly).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #14
Clem Clement

that is how I understand it, but why did Henry not offer police options on his eV-8s until 1950?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

This raises some questions . Such as why not A-1 for the A police heads, Also, B for B heads. And the best question of all, what about a police head for the mod Bs. I understand the V8s were the police cars, but a mod B, high compression "police" head would have made a nice option.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
To distinguish the higher compression "police head" from the regular head, Ford cast a 'B' on the head. When the 'B' engine came out, since Ford was already using 'B' for the Police Head, they used 'C' on the head because it was different from the previous heads (3 bolt water pump, mainly).
Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

I found these dyno test results on the internet. Judging by the numbers, they are at the flywheel:
4.2:1 Head: 38 HP & 130 lbs-ft Torque;
5.5:1 Head: 47 HP & 141 lbs-ft Torque;
6:1 Head: 58 HP & 146 lbs-ft Torque.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

There lies the demise of the model a Terry..it didn't develop enough power to compete in the market.Police departments then,as now require speed and power.Ford spent 5 years developing the X8 engine,when it proved to be a failure Mr Ford was urged to use a 6 cylinder engine for the A,he refused,stating he wasn't joining the market,he led the market..so the 4 cylinder engine design was used,rendering the car obsolete in a few years.

The model a chassis design had a 20 year run however and the V8 engine had a 21 year run. A difficult and flawed and engine it was,the casting rejection rate for V8 blocks was 90 percent...any other company would have walked away from it,it took till 1936 before the design evolved well enough.And that brings up the model T,Ford made so much money with the T it carried the company when it didn't turn a profit from '29 to '46 ( war work was done at cost plus one dollar).Ford could afford to live with the V8..
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I found these dyno test results on the internet. Judging by the numbers, they are at the flywheel:
4.2:1 Head: 38 HP & 130 lbs-ft Torque;
5.5:1 Head: 47 HP & 141 lbs-ft Torque;
6:1 Head: 58 HP & 146 lbs-ft Torque.
Compression helps greatly,so does fuel..one caveat with high compression heads,the effect of detonation or spark knock is severe,the lower compression engine tolerates it better. Detonation issues with high compression heads and model a distributors are common.The mechanical advance distributor (model B) solves the issue.Its why Ford introduced it in '32 as part of the 'new and improved' 4 cylinder engine.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #19
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Compression helps greatly,so does fuel..one caveat with high compression heads,the effect of detonation or spark knock is severe,the lower compression engine tolerates it better. Detonation issues with high compression heads and model a distributors are common.The mechanical advance distributor (model B) solves the issue.Its why Ford introduced it in '32 as part of the 'new and improved' 4 cylinder engine.
Can a mechanical advance distributor be fitted to a Model A engine and what other physical changes are required, such as the timing cover.?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Can a mechanical advance distributor be fitted to a Model A engine and what other physical changes are required, such as the timing cover.?
The Model B distributer will go into the Model A engine but the Model B timing cover must also be used if you are going to time it by the book using the pin. Check the archives for work around timing methods. You will also need to modify the wiring and ignition switch since the Model B distributer does not have an armored cable going to it. Security for the Model B vehicle was provided by a locking steering column.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote