Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
old31

Default Tire balancing with Hunter # 125B Tire Spinner Portable Wheel Spin Balancer

Has anyone ever used one of these to balance tires. If so, how do you do it?

I have been looking to buy one but none have instructions.

It looks like they need to clamp something to the side of the wheel but not sure if it would work with 19" wire wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balancer.jpg (54.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg balancer1.jpg (82.0 KB, 39 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Tire balancing with Hunter # 125B Tire Spinner Portable Wheel Spin Balancer

I have used one, if you have the adapter ring to fit the wheel it will work

As the wheel is spinning and vibrating you hold one of the knobs, one knob changes the location, the other changes the amount ---it's only been 35 years since I used it, could be 2 knobs for each function

the rubber ring needs to fit in the rim and expand to clamp --it needs to be secure, if it comes off at speed it makes a fast trip across the shop and you will get hurt if you try and stop it

you can still use the spinner on the front wheels to check if you have a balance problem, on the rear the balancer was used with the wheel jacked up and spun by the engine
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Bob from Northport

Default Re: Tire balancing with Hunter # 125B Tire Spinner Portable Wheel Spin Balancer

They were the best wheel balancer ever. The rubber rings pressure clamp to the inner ring of the wheel, and the red balance section then attaches. The machine spins the wheels and you hold each ring on the protruding rings as the calibration moves around the wheel and indicates how much weight is required and where. Didn't think I would ever see one again.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Keith True

I still have one of those.I have a ring that will fit the 19 inch Model A wheel,BUT,the hubcap sticks out too far and you can't clamp the spinner on.They were actually becoming a problem in the early-mid 70's on cars like the big caddies with L-78 15 tires and disc brakes.It was most needed on the Olds Toronados and Buick Riveria front drives,but it was hard on the electric motor.There was some reason those cars were hard to balance using the engine power.Mine was thrown away by the shop I worked at because they had to buy an expensive more powerful one.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
jw hash

back in the 60`s we could only afford recap tires, and I worked at a Richfield station and we had a Hunter wheel balancer and I used it a lot. if you are doing a Model A 5 on 5 with stock wheels the wheel rings will not fit. I have the adapter for that set up. I also have the whole unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0189.jpg (82.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0190.jpg (71.6 KB, 20 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Keith True

Those look kind of like the adapter plates for a bubble balancer.Do those clamp onto the wheel adapters for a different model or brand of balancer?I have some like those,but mine are made by Mico.they were for 37?? Ford wide fives,VW wide fives,and Buick and Pontiac wide fives from the early 60's.We mostly used our Hunter tire spinner as a sales tool.People felt that if they had plenty of tread the tire was fine.We would jack the front end up,push the motor against the tire,and watch it spin.People could become believers real fast when they could watch the front of their car jump up and down.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
jw hash

this is made pacifically for the Hunter wheel balancer. the hub fastens right to the four pegs just like the rings. it looks to be factory made, A friend had the whole set up when he passed away. and I ended up with it.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
old31

Thanks, that answers it.

If you don't have the wheel rings that JW has the unit is nonusable.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I used one in the 70's at the GM dealership, but wasn't overly impressed with it.
Most of the time the balance was OK, but I wouldn't take one now for free.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
old31

For free I would love to have one. Why. Because I have wasted so much time installing 4oz of beads in the front and 6oz of antifreeze in the rear.

At about 50-65 I start to get a vibration in the steering column, and ebrake.

With that machine, I would not have to remove the tires.

Does anyone have any ideas? (besides keep it under 50)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
this is made pacifically for the Hunter wheel balancer. the hub fastens right to the four pegs just like the rings. it looks to be factory made, A friend had the whole set up when he passed away. and I ended up with it.
Is it also made on the east coast ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote