Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Wolf Whistle

I am thinking about getting a wolf whistle for my roadster, but I don't know what I should get. I know Snyder's makes a cheap reproduction but I also know there are a fair amount of originals out there. Is anybody running a repro?
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Mike

Default Re: Wolf Whistle

Find an original
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
redmodelt

If you get an original make sure it has the whistle part in it. Looks like a disk with holes in it at the bottom of the bell. At least 2 years ago you could get a replacement.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
harryc

what is an original? I have one about 50 years old from the 60's. Is it an original ?
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
what is an original? I have one about 50 years old from the 60's. Is it an original ?
I know they were being produced during the Model A era, maybe even earlier. They have been a popular accessory ever since, so one from the 60s is not technically what a model a would have had back in the day, but it probably would work.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
If you get an original make sure it has the whistle part in it. Looks like a disk with holes in it at the bottom of the bell. At least 2 years ago you could get a replacement.
Yes that is a very important part. I have checked the big names like Snyders and Brattons but they do not have any replacement parts for the whistle.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
redmodelt

Check Speedway, I am pretty sure that is where I got mine.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

In the 60's the cheap red wolf whistle was $2.98 from JC Whitney, and the deluxe one with the bellcrank to push the valve was $4.98. I bought the deluxe one and it worked well, but I had to spray lube on the whistle part about once a month, or it might not spin.

Today's repro of the deluxe whistle is about $50, and most likely made in China.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
37 Coupe

It is funny how sometimes something will stick in your head for a lifetime whether it is factual or not. 54 years ago and I was 18 years old I was going to order a wolf whistle from J.C.Whitney to put on our newly rebuilt Model A engine and my dad nixed it. He always had this theory about exhaust and vacuum that he learned from an old mechanic,a Model T and Model A era mechanic.He believed that anything other than factory engineered exhaust back pressure would lead to premature valve damage. In theory it seemed to make sense with his comparison to a blacksmiths bellow,more air over metal more heat,red hot to white hot and exhaust back pressure,mufflers are much more than just noise suppression.Rather right or wrong I don't know but something I always think of when I see or hear a wolf whistle.I opted for the 6 volt Jubilee Bull Horn which I still have but it is on my '37 coupe.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
It is funny how sometimes something will stick in your head for a lifetime whether it is factual or not. 54 years ago and I was 18 years old I was going to order a wolf whistle from J.C.Whitney to put on our newly rebuilt Model A engine and my dad nixed it. He always had this theory about exhaust and vacuum that he learned from an old mechanic,a Model T and Model A era mechanic.He believed that anything other than factory engineered exhaust back pressure would lead to premature valve damage. In theory it seemed to make sense with his comparison to a blacksmiths bellow,more air over metal more heat,red hot to white hot and exhaust back pressure,mufflers are much more than just noise suppression.Rather right or wrong I don't know but something I always think of when I see or hear a wolf whistle.I opted for the 6 volt Jubilee Bull Horn which I still have but it is on my '37 coupe.
Never thought of that, but it sounds right in theory. Anybody ever heard of this?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
oldman - NorCal

…..well, I can only tell you that I have 10's of thousands of miles on my Roadster that has always had a wolf whistle on it and true, I rebuilt my engine last year but, I doubt that engaging the whistle had anything to do shortening the life of said engine.
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
abachman3

The wolf whistle works on the intake side not the exhaust side of the manifold. Shouldn't affect the exhaust. It does momentarily affect the air intake, as you are introducing more air through the whistle than without one. At idle you can hear the change in the engine speed.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
davehc

Speedway does still have the motor / disc for the Wolf Whistle , even though I couldnt find it on their web site . here is e-mail from them about it .
You inquired about the motor for the older Wolf Whistles and they are still available under part number 91063250-3 at $9.99 each. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-979-0122 or check out our website at www.speedwaymotors.com. Let me know if we can be of further assistance and thanks again for shopping Speedway Motors

John Wulbern | Street Rod Tech
Speedway Motors
340 Victory Lane,
Lincoln, Ne. 68528
[email protected]
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehc View Post
Speedway does still have the motor / disc for the Wolf Whistle , even though I couldnt find it on their web site . here is e-mail from them about it .
You inquired about the motor for the older Wolf Whistles and they are still available under part number 91063250-3 at $9.99 each. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-979-0122 or check out our website at www.speedwaymotors.com. Let me know if we can be of further assistance and thanks again for shopping Speedway Motors

John Wulbern | Street Rod Tech
Speedway Motors
340 Victory Lane,
Lincoln, Ne. 68528
[email protected]
Good to know they still make the disc for it. I think I am going to try and hunt one down over the winter.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
Stew Masche

Wink Re: Wolf Whistle

I just put my fingers between my lips and let 'er rip !
Doesn't affect the engine performance one bit !
It COULD affect my driving if my wife were along....