Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Question ~ Gasohol ~

Is Gasohol just a U.S.phenomenom or is it world wide?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Question ~ Gasohol ~

USA only as far as I have heard. G.M.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
green50

I'm fortunate enough to have a choice. There are several places near me that have non-ethanol gas.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
BILL WZOREK

If that is so , I wonder if some over sea Barners would Jump in and explain the extent of Vapor Lock that he Have to deal with.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
keith oh

Good idea Bill Wzorek, and I can remember the so called" Vapor Lock" problem long before Gasohol existed.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
sidevalve8ba

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green50 View Post
I'm fortunate enough to have a choice. There are several places near me that have non-ethanol gas.
http://pure-gas.org

Here's a good place to check for non-ethanol gas possibly in your area. It is divided into states so you can check out possible locations near you. I find it a big help. I don't have to look far in this area to find stations that deal in non-ethanol gas. Makes me happy.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
BILL WZOREK

sidevalve8ba ;

You look at that list & the 1st thing I saw was There is ~ NO GASOHOL ~ in ALASKA ???
Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
sidevalve8ba ;

You look at that list & the 1st thing I saw was There is ~ NO GASOHOL ~ in ALASKA ???
I guess there are too many snowmobiles and chain saws.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Joe AZ

I'm amazed by this.....I spent most of my life in Minnesota, where a lot of this corn is grown, and refined. There are 414 options for "corn free" gas in Minnesota. I now live in Arizona, where there are 13 options. Do Minnesotan's, who grow a lot of this corn know something no one else does?
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Lawson Cox

There was corn gas in the 30's at some stations. Someone posted a picture on here a little while back.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AZ View Post
I'm amazed by this.....I spent most of my life in Minnesota, where a lot of this corn is grown, and refined. There are 414 options for "corn free" gas in Minnesota. I now live in Arizona, where there are 13 options. Do Minnesotan's, who grow a lot of this corn know something no one else does?
Joe
Outdoor power equipment - boats, especially - are not fans of ethanol. Considering the popularity of outdoor sports in the state, the number of non-corn gas options makes sense to me.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Dec211975

Ethanol is produced world wide, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_by_country the United States currently is the largest producer with Brazil following, since 2006 Indy cars have been running on 98% ethanol 2 % gasoline the 2% gasoline is required by the ATF so it is unfit for human consumption. Since 2010 Sunoco has been providing the Ethanol for Indy cars (Plants in Canada). Henry Ford told a New York Times reporter that ethyl alcohol was “the fuel of the future” in 1925.

I remember Vapor lock in the 60s long before there was a 10 % methanol blend that would corrode metals and attach rubber Ethanol is not as corrosive as Methanol and less harmful to rubber. In the late 90s and to about 2005 there were a large number of ethanol plants built and ethanol replaced the Methanol in the fuel (although ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline) it is far less corrosive than methanol. I run my small engines as well as my vehicles on a 10% blend of Ethanol. I hold the class A license UGST for (Federal/State requirement) several gas stations owned by the Ethanol plant I work at as well as perform maintenance at the Ethanol plant. I am amazed by the number of empty bottles of gas line deicer (ethanol) in the trash in the winter. I closing if you want to buy gas without ethanol buy it, I see no adverse effects to a 10 % blend of ethanol, I feel my job won't be outsourced to China like my previous job and if you follow and buy Ethanol stock such as ande or gpre you could have a sizable return on your portfolio.

Regards,

Brian
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #13
Alaska Jim

It is true that there is no ethanol fuel in the in the state of Alaska, at least not that I am aware of. and we do have more than snowmachines and chain saws here. there are some very nice early Fords here, not as plentiful as the lower 48 states, but many as good or better than a lot of the lower 48 states vehicles. I have a place in Mineola Tx. and there is a place there that sells ethanol free fuel. It is a bit more costly. when I was there last winter, they only had 87 octane, and could no longer get premium 93 octane. I was disappointed in that as my old 2 stroke outboard requires 92 or better octane. guess I have to use the ethanol in it and hope for the best.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote