Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2019, 01:53 AM   #21
fortyonerag

Default Re: Jensen S1

More pics please! Congratulations on this unique car.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #22
Graeme / New Zealand

You must like Jensens because that black car in the background looks like a cv8 that was the predecessor of the Interceptor. That flathead may have been military production as it has that nib on the front of the head.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #23
Graeme / New Zealand

[QUOTE=19Fordy;1776615]That is truly a very beautiful car. Congrats on getting it.
Can I assume they Jensen later became Jensen-Healy?[/QUOT

Nope Donald Healy colaborated with Jensen to make the Jensen Healy a bit like Austin of England and Healy to make the Austin Healy sports and remember the Nash -Healy sports car ?

GB

Old 07-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #24
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Nope, not even close. The Gable car had a '36 Ford front end and the remainder of the body was totally different.
I would be interested in the source of your information. From what I have researched, Mr. Gable contracted with the Jensen company in 1934, which would fit with this car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #25
KGS

Gable Jensen looks to be a '36 to me...
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #26
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I would be interested in the source of your information. From what I have researched, Mr. Gable contracted with the Jensen company in 1934, which would fit with this car.
See the photo posted by KGS. That photo also was shown on the cover of Ford Life magazine which was published by noted author Lorin Sorenson. I have the issue as my wife worked for Lorin for several years.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
tubman

So it looks like it took them at least two years to make from the date of initial collaboration.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
Jembow

Let's not get too hung up on the Gable car, it's been discussed ad infinitum. It's clearly based on a 36 - Gable may have placed the order in '34 but he got the car in '36. The car was photographed in Santa Barbare in 1936, and the photo above has a 1937 plate.

This car of Joerg's is far more interesting. I have a clipping from Classic & Sportscar magazine of May 85 which refers to an article in their February '85 issue showing a car with the same front wing styling as Joerg's White Lady, but some doubt if it was actually a Jensen. I'd like to find a copy of that February issue.

I have only seen one S-type tourer up close, several years ago at a show in Henley-on-Thames. I couldn't engage the owner in conversation, he was agitated because it was its first outing after restoration and kept stopping when hot, and he didn't want to listen to my suggestions! I should have photos but can't immediately find them.

In 1970, I was in at the death of chassis S23, a four-door saloon. It was in a Berkshire scrapyard in very rough condition, I bought the Columbia axle and front hubs when they cut it up and later swapped them with the late Bert (Mr Model A) Thomas, who traded them on. The brakes were Ford cable (1937 style), the wheels Dunlops. I believe they may have ended up in the hands of Mike Knapman, well known V8 & Allard man.

In the 60s & 70s there was a series called Profile Publications - A5 size booklets of about 12 pages with short car histories. I have The V8 & Straight-8 Jensens, written in 1967 by J R Buckley. It says the Ford chassis and running gear were provided to Jensen on the orders of Edsel, who visited Jensens (Edsel was known to like sportscars). There is a photo of him with the first production S-type in 1935. It may have been Edsel who suggested the Columbia - to the best of my knowledge, the Columbia was never marketed in the UK as an accessory. The engine is said to have been tuned to produce 120bhp, with alloy heads, twin SU carbs, Scintilla magneto and dual exhaust headers. Top speed claimed as 95mph.

There is also a photo of a prototype 2 1/4 litre car which never went into production - that would have been a V8-60. The Jensen cost nearly 3 times as much as a stock V8 Ford - for that money I would want the big motor!

There is also mention of 2 V12 cars built for Californian customers - anyone heard of them?

After my dismissal of the Gable car, I have just spotted a photo in the Profile booklet said to be the Gable car, but it's a light colour. It also says there were 2 made, the other going to Cary Grant.

Joerg has a fabulous unique car, I am so jealous!
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #29
34 GAZ

Nice unique project. First time i,ve actually seen those heads with the small bulge on the end. ( other than the pair i have ) Do you have a number 99 cast in the front of the block just infront of the head ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G.JPG (39.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg H.JPG (30.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 99.JPG (84.9 KB, 27 views)
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #30
Graeme / New Zealand

Heard somewhere the small bulges had something to do with WWII military application and were an aid to get them off for repair or something, perhaps in confined spaces. v8s were were also used in Bren gun carriers and Canadian pattern trucks. This might be all bollocks ....anyone else know? I've seen them in cars here that have had replacement engines

GB