Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
ronn

Default A 400

did anyone see the A 400 on ebay that just sold?

I bid on it and just missed............

not a bad looking car

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: A 400

I saw that too. Turns out it was only 20 minutes from me. Last I checked it was at 20k, what did it sell for?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
37 Coupe

$25,000
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
160B

here is the corrected link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Ford-M...p2047675.l2557

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 09-10-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Corrected link , thanks Bob C
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Bob C

I think this is the right link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Ford-M...p2047675.l2557
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
ronn

it is in the condition I would have wtd and the right price.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

That was a steal!!!
Marshall
400-A #1080
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
That was a steal!!!
Marshall
400-A #1080

Really?? Realistically what are you buying for $25k?? IMHO, you are buying a parts car that is fully assembled. In my view, this car brought all the money and then some.

To explain where I am coming from, you have a vehicle where the paint is kinda tired, and likely you will find the wood infrastructure is too. With old 85 year old wood, I would not gamble the price of a paint job and interior trimming on tired 85 year old wood. Next you have tired reproduction upholstery that appears to have a rip across the seat cushion. The vehicle needs major radiator work, and likely needs to have the gas tank restored due to rust. The bottom line is I would expect to find other items such as the worn brake & clutch pedals to be indicative the entire condition of the car. A nice bodystye, and likely a good platform to begin a restoration with, but IMHO it was a lot of money to spend for a vehicle in this condition.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

….adding to my reasoning above, look at some of these and let me know if I am looking at this wrong.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (120.2 KB, 877 views)
File Type: jpg Picture2.jpg (109.6 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg Picture7.jpg (102.6 KB, 859 views)
File Type: jpg Picture6.jpg (101.8 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg Picture5.jpg (88.3 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg Picture3.jpg (58.8 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg Picture4.jpg (86.5 KB, 856 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
ronn

Brent,
not to burst your bubble, but everyone doesnt necessarily want a show car........

I know I dont.

There is a beautiful restored one for 50k and a bargain, if that is what YOU want.
out of my budget.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Brent,
not to burst your bubble, but everyone doesnt necessarily want a show car........ I know I dont.

There is a beautiful restored one for 50k and a bargain, if that is what YOU want.
out of my budget.

Ronn, did you even go look at this car? If so, is what I am pointing out actually true??

And, ...just so we are clear, your comment regarding me being in a Show Car bubble is in poor taste. No one including me ever said anything about a show car. If it was the car you wanted and at the right price, then that is great but my opinion as to the street value of this vehicle counters yours, ...and if that offends you, then I apologize.

Additionally, my response was not made to any of your comments, but to Marshall's comment where he stated it was a steal at $25k. Again, please share with me what you feel like it will cost to make this vehicle safe & reliable, and what all you feel it will take to do so.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

It's an A-400 (400-A) for 25K, could probably be made a reliable "driver" for local shows for little money and you'd have the only one. JMO
Paul in CT

Some would call some of the defects patina.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
ronn

sorry Brent, never said show car bubble- said not to burst your bubble.

difference in symantics and no, was not putting you down. was simply stating that this car is the one I would want, not a restored one.

and yes, I agree with what Paul is stating. and yes Brent, it does need work.

typed statements dont always come across as intended.....
Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
sorry Brent, never said show car bubble- said not to burst your bubble.

difference in symantics and no, was not putting you down. was simply stating that this car is the one I would want, not a restored one.
and yes, I agree with what Paul is stating. and yes Brent, it does need work.

typed statements dont always come across as intended.....

All is well. So let's play Devil's Advocate for a tad and see if we can turn this into a discussion that others can benefit from. To begin with, folks need to understand that you are an accomplished restorer, so what others may struggle with should be a piece of cake for you.

Since I mentioned the wood, how deteriorated do/would you expect it to be, -and if hard & brittle, how long would you expect it to last if you were to drive/tour with it 5k-6k miles a year with regard to ody rigidity to keep doors latched during driving?

What would you expect to find with the engine? If let's say that it had a 1960's Sears & Roebuck rebuilt engine, what would your expectations be with it and how far would you trust it to go?

What about the gas tank? Would you use it as-is or would you try to restore it before driving on tours? Maybe the same question regarding brakes, wiring, tires/tubes, etc?? Exactly what would you do if you had purchased it??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #15
aermotor

Exclamation Re: A 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
All is well. So let's play Devil's Advocate for a tad and see if we can turn this into a discussion that others can benefit from. To begin with, folks need to understand that you are an accomplished restorer, so what others may struggle with should be a piece of cake for you.

Since I mentioned the wood, how deteriorated do/would you expect it to be, -and if hard & brittle, how long would you expect it to last if you were to drive/tour with it 5k-6k miles a year with regard to ody rigidity to keep doors latched during driving?

What would you expect to find with the engine? If let's say that it had a 1960's Sears & Roebuck rebuilt engine, what would your expectations be with it and how far would you trust it to go?

What about the gas tank? Would you use it as-is or would you try to restore it before driving on tours? Maybe the same question regarding brakes, wiring, tires/tubes, etc?? Exactly what would you do if you had purchased it??
Brent, I don't disagree with what you are saying but I think a vehicle that you are describing with problems you pointed out corrected, rebuilt engine, new wood, in other words TOTAL restoration would be closer to $60 to $70
thousand - so the selling price wasn't that bad. After all the value of a vehicle is what the seller and buyer agree to.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Brent, I don't disagree with what you are saying but I think a vehicle that you are describing with problems you pointed out corrected, rebuilt engine, new wood, in other words TOTAL restoration would be closer to $60 to $70 thousand - so the selling price wasn't that bad. After all the value of a vehicle is what the seller and buyer agree to.

John

John, I would agree with your thoughts on that. And, at the hammer price, it appears that someone else placed a higher value on it than even what Ronn did.

One other comment that was sent to me privately which makes a great thought, is if someone bid $25k plus transportation expenses on that car, either they knew the vehicle and felt it was a worth the money, or they were possibly trying to shill bid it. I think their point was similar to a comment I made the other day and that is that selling price is enough money that most hobbyists would expect to do a personal inspection on a vehicle prior to committing to pay that amount of funds. Yes?? No?? Thoughts??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
ronn

I should have included what was written about the vehicle from the seller, but that of course is the basis of buying any vehicle, being what is presented.
states a very solid car that runs very well and needs nothing immediately, but yes, can be restored from here if wished.

Brent these are the type of cars I enjoy buying and driving and tinkering with. I have looked for a good while for a 400 and not many come up in this condition. Fully restored ones are a dime a dozen, well almost and lag on the mkt. As mentioned, there is a beautiful one for 50k and open to offers.
The only thing that concerns me would be the radiator and I consider that a very minor fix. A new one from Bergs and you are done. Regarding rusty gas tanks, I have a couple of A's with pencil filters and glass bowls and have never been left stranded, but no, I dont drive that many miles a year.
This car wouldnt go more then 500 miles a year with me driving. Regarding my restoration abilities, I consider myself in the bottom 1/3 of everyone here. I have learned so much from those on the Ford Barn, but I am smart enough to stay away from major work. You dont see me discussing engine tolerances or valve lapping. While I enjoy reading about it, I take the path of least resistance and would prefer to drop in a new rebuilt motor to rebuilding one.
Anyway, 400s dont come up often and I thought this one to be a good buy. For me anyway.
I would drive up to see the car, look it over well and pay in cash. Then I would call AAA and they would tow it home for me on my Premier Plan.

AAA has been very good to me..........
Old 09-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #18
Wick

This car will probably show up at Hershey looking for a foreign buyer.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
ronn

Interesting point Wick, but the dollar is pretty up there right now.............

which world economies are still doing really well? Most are going down, as seen in the stock mkt. The US has been holding well, but not so sure about the others.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #20
ronn

One was sold at Hershey about 2 yrs back and a little crustier. Asking 29k.

I was hoping someone on the Barn would have one to sell in this unrestored range.........