Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
beefheart

Default Battery

Wanting to replace my battery in my 31 sw, any suggestions as to the brand, what seems to be the best etc, thanks
beefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Battery

Go to a farm store and buy a 6v tractor battery. Low priced, good quality. Around here I can get one for about $45.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Badpuppy

Modern replacement for the original is Type 1. Sold at most auto parts stores for around $100. But 6v tractor batteries last about as long.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

For a more powerful and dependable electrical system I often convert to twelve volts . I like to buy batteries from Walmart . I can measure and pick the battery that will fit the original battery box . If there is a problem with fitting or anything else , Walmart will replace the battery with no question or problem here . It is a very easy conversion . Six volt batteries are getting harder to find and usually cost more . The biggest thing is the battery . I either use a three OHM coil or install a ballast resister and use the six volt coil . The unmodified generator and starter will work good on twelve volts . A good cut out will work on twelve volts but there will be no voltage regulation . I prefer to use the Fun Projects twelve volt voltage regulator . The Fun Projects twelve volt voltage regulates the charge similar to modern cars and looks just like the cut out . Of course the bulbs will need to be replaced with twelve volt bulbs . A resister will need to be used at the horn and electric windshield wiper motor where present . Other than the twelve volt battery that can be found most any where ,very few other parts will need replacement I run my roadster this way and LOVE it .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
beefheart

Great help thanks so much!
beefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If your electrical system is in good condition, 6 Volts will work just fine and will be just as reliable as 12 Volts.

All three of my Model A's and I also have 2 early V-8's that are running with their original 6 Volt systems and all work fine.

I use one of my Model A's for long distance touring and am very comfortable going anywhere with it.

The only changes I have made is to convert all the 3 brush generators to 2 brush with a regulator. This way, the battery gets fully charged when you drive them.

My opinion

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Gary WA

Buy it, your A will love it!