Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #341
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,
Are you interested in another project? I don't know how close this is.

1941 Chevrolet Woodie Station Wagon Project - $19000 (Bainbridge Island https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5936312559.html

For sale - locally-based 1941 Chevy Campbell-bodied Woodie Station Wagon project -- extremely rare car and it's all here. We combined a previously restored Southern 4-door sedan donor plus the original woodie into a single car. It's a project -- original drivetrain and chassis with all the wood removed -- it's all there and some of the woodie is refinished. Seats restored to original, includes all the woodie-only parts plus some accessories. Some of the chrome is also redone. We have lost our storage and work space. Contact for details. $22,000 or best offer. We have a more complete description document with some additional photos and can send that to truly interested parties - thanks.

Not now, but thanks. I need to stay all ford because I rely heavily on my stash of good used parts. Looks like a good start with the southern donor car, new seats etc. I wish they had pics of how it looks now. I could be interested in working on the car if someone buys it though.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #342
GB SISSON

Tonight's after work project was to complete the hanging of the rear doors. I have been pretty obsessed with engine building for a month or so, and as many of you can relate, doing woodwork (or whatever your day job is) isn't a big thrill on a Friday evening. But this completes the basic exterior shell with the exception of the header over the right rear side window. I still need a 50" piece of Eastern maple to cut that from and I keep forgetting to order up a plank with out bi-monthly hardwood order from the mainland. My gaskets came in from Olsen's on this afternoon's UPS delivery so if I can sneak out to the shop this weekend I just may complete the 3 1/16" 59 engine for the woodie. I have a Bubba's crab and a Jere Jobe carb that I got last week from a guy on a neighboring island who sold his 41 merc woodie and is retiring from the hobby. Yesterday I bolted in and safety wired an original ford oil pump that came from this engine which was a ford remanufactured unit and had no ridge in the cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mid march 052.jpg (55.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg mid march 057.jpg (58.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg mid march 062.jpg (71.6 KB, 90 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #343
Mart

Looks great, GB. Excellent progress.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #344
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Looks great, GB. Excellent progress.

Mart.
Thank you Mart, but the progress never seems quite excellent enough for me, particularly this winter. We were swamped with work, the weather was colder and wetter than usual so my unheated woodie space was miserable. I also have 4 kids and two stepkids, all in their 20's and thirties, six grandkids. My wife and I each have a son that lives on the island and the rest like to come 'home' to visit for a weekend now and then. Thus, my 2 hours each evening after my employee or two leaves and before my wife gets home from work are my opportunity to make progress. I'm very fortunate to work here on my place with no time lost in a commute. Well it's 5:45 am on a Saturday, and I think I'll go down and try to finish up that engine and maybe get it onto my run stand.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #345
GB SISSON

Now that my engine is completed I have turned my attention to removing the front clip for access to all things mechanical up there. It will be brakes, front end and suspension (I have been stockpiling those parts) and engine/tranny and wiring etc. I have had some pretty nice 1/2 ton front fenders stashed in my shed on the lower property. Yesterday I went down and carried them up to the shop and sanded down a couple layers of paint to see what I had. They both look quite good but both have some damage just where they leave the running board. They came from the dry side of this state, East of the Cascades so the joint between fenders and running boards is far better than we see on this side. I guess for a while I will be spending a bit of time welding in some pieces, but all in all they checked out well. I have a better grill shell with the headlight mounts to go with them. The front metal on the existing vehicle is pretty horrible with the exception of the cowl. I have limited skills as a body man so I might be asking some questions as I go. The right side fender looks like a bunch of filler but it is just light blue and white paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 041.jpg (66.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 035.jpg (75.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 006.jpg (87.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 038.jpg (82.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 022.jpg (45.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg fenders for woodie 050.jpg (69.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #346
harvest

GB, you are gonna have one beautiful woodie when your done. Can't wait to see it out of your shop and road ready. I've been poking every now and then over the winter at this thread to see your work. amazing!
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #347
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
GB, you are gonna have one beautiful woodie when your done. Can't wait to see it out of your shop and road ready. I've been poking every now and then over the winter at this thread to see your work. amazing!
Thanks! Well the clip is off and I have been cleaning the frame etc. I know I'll be doing the kingpins and the driver side shock is missing. Springs have crummy aftermarket coil helper springs on top and the spring shackles and bushings are totally shot. Haven't pulled the front drums but I have new wheel cyls from napa and excellent drums and shoes from a friend here that converted a restored '46 truck to disc brakes. I have a very dead 1/2 ton panel that seems to have good front shocks, so it's down to the boneyard this weekend. I have always enjoyed brake and suspension work for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipoff woodie and JBR 006.jpg (79.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #348
corvette8n

Looks like it's coming along nicely, I think it would look great towing a matching wooden boat.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #349
GB SISSON

It seems like ages since I have worked on the woodie. I bought a '47 tonner pickup in April and felt I had to get that to a certain point before storing it away. Not sure why.... Today I stripped the woodie's frame of it's axle and springs and drove out the old king pins. So easy with the axle upside down! Good thing my buddy switched to disc brakes as my front drums were toast. Tomorrow I hope to clean and paint the axle and frame horns and get organized for installing the king pins and spring bushings and shackle kit. The new shock links are NOS Ford and the other 3 kits ( tie rod ends, spring bushings/pins and king pins) are NORS. All these components were supplied by Bob Selzam's 'Half ton fun' in Jackson NJ. I will of course be installing my new master cylinder, lines, hoses and wheel cylinders along with the steering and suspension parts at this point. Then it's engine, trans and a test drive around the property nice and slow, but I will have to finish the door latching process first. And yes, a normal person would have stripped the frame down in the beginning and completed all mechanical aspects before building a wooden car on top of it, but I needed the affirmation that I could do it and the inspiration of seeing the body so I would have the steam up to complete this long term project. Trying to complete it this summer is beyond me now, but with the good weather ahead I should get some good varnish on it and complete the big stuff. Then I have the fall and winter to do the interior, wiring, and the ton of details still required for a summer of woodie adventures next year. I intend to stay focused on the woodie now and am feeling quite energized with today's progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grille guard 023.jpg (75.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 022.jpg (77.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 036.jpg (76.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 040.jpg (83.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 AM   #350
Mart

Thanks for the update, GB. I can understand why you did it the way you did. the new truck looks good too.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #351
mhsprecher

Your new truck is nice.

I am just finishing some of what you are doing on my 45. You need to have NOS or NORS shock links, as new ones are not available. I just got some from Fred Wilner. I should have gotten all of my bushings and shackle bolts from him, as I have one bushing that I need to ream in order to get the bolt through, darn it. It's good to know of another source. My kingpins are fine, it was the drag link and the shackle bushings and bolts that were shot. Good to know of another source for NOS parts.

As suggested by some here, I disassembled my springs and coated with Slip Plate. I hope to have it back on the road tomorrow.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #352
cmbrucew

Thanks for the update, you are making progress.
Bruce
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #353
GB SISSON

Yes I got a ton of stuff taken care of today. Drove out all the spring bushings and drove in the new ones. Then I drove out the king pin buhings. I have devised ways to ream all this stuff here at the shop so I am good to go. I used deep sockets and pieces of pipe and bolts to remove all the worn out carnage....
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 AM   #354
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Yes I got a ton of stuff taken care of today. Drove out all the spring bushings and drove in the new ones. Then I drove out the king pin buhings. I have devised ways to ream all this stuff here at the shop so I am good to go. I used deep sockets and pieces of pipe and bolts to remove all the worn out carnage....
I forgot to add that at 64 years of age, all the kneeling on concrete, crawling in and out of the frame members a hundred times and the prying, wrenching and contortions necessary for this kind of work, along with the .... Oh never mind. My wife is out with some of the girls from work at a play, but I can't wait up for her because every bone in my body aches....
Old 06-05-2017, 01:35 AM   #355
mhsprecher

Quote:
I forgot to add that at 64 years of age, all the kneeling on concrete, crawling in and out of the frame members a hundred times and the prying, wrenching and contortions necessary for this kind of work, along with the .... Oh never mind. My wife is out with some of the girls from work at a play, but I can't wait up for her because every bone in my body aches....
I am glad that I am not the only one.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #356
flatford8

Good to see the progress!. Are you driving the tonner as is?....I'm piecing together a '37 half ton and I'm going to put parts together as I find them....I'm not qualified for no fancy restoration......You have a few tonners right?.....there must be more out West....I don't see that many around here in N-E......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #357
'36 5W

I'm sure many of us here have full empathy for your pain!

Just finished the same job on a '34 pickup at the antique museum, where I volunteer.
Will repeat it again on my '36 coupe this month, now that I have recovered.
At 70, I find the secret is in the PACING, but let's "get 'er done" while we are still able!
Projects like yours help keep us motivated.....
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #358
GB SISSON

I have an easy project for this morning before my employee shows up. Reaming the kingpin bushings. I get to stand up and do this with the spindles held in my wood jawed vice in the cabinet shop. Then after work I hope to reassemble the front axle. Is there a front/rear or left/right to this axle or is it ambidextrous?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #359
GB SISSON

Honing my woodie's kingpins with my slotted dowel and sanding belt strips driven by a cordless drill. Actually I couldn't find my 5/8" dowel and I didn't want to make the 24 mile trip to town so I ransacked my wife's wooden spoons and found a nice straight maple one that measured 5/8 on the handle. Worked great for another honing. The pins twist in with some encouragement when dry and with a light oil on them they glide smoothly in. This may look ridiculous to some, but it takes about 15 minutes per side and I'm in charge of the fit, not some new helper in a machine shop who doesn't care if they have a bit of slop in them because he went too far.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:04 AM   #360
PeteVS

Quote:
Honing my woodie's kingpins with my slotted dowel and sanding belt strips driven by a cordless drill. Actually I couldn't find my 5/8" dowel and I didn't want to make the 24 mile trip to town so I ransacked my wife's wooden spoons and found a nice straight maple one that measured 5/8 on the handle. Worked great for another honing. The pins twist in with some encouragement when dry and with a light oil on them they glide smoothly in. This may look ridiculous to some, but it takes about 15 minutes per side and I'm in charge of the fit, not some new helper in a machine shop who doesn't care if they have a bit of slop in them because he went too far.
Thank you so much for this idea!!