Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
FireEngineMike

Default Turn Signal Loom to Steering Column

I just installed a signal stat 900 turn signal switch on the steering column. I would rather not use plastic wire ties to hold the wire loom to the column. What would be sort of period correct? The truck will not be point judged so it does not have to be perfect. Thanks.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: Turn Signal Loom to Steering Column

Make some out of thin strips of real light sheet metal or aluminum cans. Paint them the color of your steering column and may not even see them......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
TJ

Check with someone who sells F-100 parts I believe they should have some metal clamps that hold the turn signal harness to column. The early F-100 column is the same diameter as the early Ford column. I think F-100's up through 1960 used basically the same column.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Zax40

Edit, I thought you were asking about covering the wiring it, not attaching it. Disregard...

I use this braided cable sleeve on my vintage stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like cloth covering unless someone looks at it closely.

Last edited by Zax40; 04-15-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Didn't read question correctly
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
46fatford

I have a bunch of stainless steel clamps that work like zip ties. We used to use them all the time when we were routing hoses on the buses. Please PM me as I believe I still have some left.
Thanks
Matt
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
34pickup

Period correct back when I was in high school would be just simple hose clamp bands. We used them to mount tachs on our steering columns, too.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
FireEngineMike

Thanks everyone. I sent a PM to 46fatford. Mark I took your idea a step further and put notches in from both sides so the flashing (I used paper so far) locks together around the wire loom then wraps around the steering column and is held by a tab through a hole. Now to check TJ's suggestion. There is always friction tape as a last and much easier resort.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Mart

On my 41pu I threaded the wires through a piece of 1/4 inch hard line. I only used 4 wires and they were thinnish. It was pre used and patinated and blends in nicely it rests against the column without needing to be clipped.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Drbrown

A prior owner did my set up like 34pickup said for my turn signal and tach bodies - a narrow hose clamp with screw-tightener facing down on underside, and thin band of rubber to prevent damage to paint on steering column. Re the wires, they just used a matching gray 3/8" dis vinyl sheath with a few plastic ties. I'm fine with all that. Only time I ever see that stuff is when I'm lying on floor working behind the dash.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
Flathead Fever

I'm thinking there is something out there like one or two of these Triumph TR4 column wiring clips that would be neat (#15). It would have a nice factory looking appearance. I can't find a Triumph one for sale, it says not available. The oil cloth is perfect for vintage automotive wiring looms. I use to buy it at work for the phone company trucks. You have a choice of the asphalt cloth or the split plastic looms when protecting wires. There are places on a truck where the plastic loom melts so we used the asphalt loom The asphalt looms comes in all different sizes from tiny to large enough to go over battery cables. We bought ours from Standard Products, in 50' rolls. Its available in shorter lengths online. If your going to make up your own looms use this stuff to make them look vintage.

Also looks at all the products in this catalog, switches, wiring, connectors....... There are all kinds of electrical goodies that come in handy when building cars. One thing to consider is using trailer wiring harness cable from the dash to the rear lights. The cable contains all the wires needed to wire up your rear lights on a car. The wires are color coded to match the standard colors used to wire automotive rear lights on trailers and automobiles and they are already protected in a compact conduit. Makes a nice clean harness. If you use the the correct colored wires you never have to guess which wires are turn signals, brake lights and taillights. I run the loom to a wire connection block bolted in the trunk. Then I run wires from the block to the lights. That way if I ever have a problem I can test the wires for power right at the block without tearing into the wiring. The seven-wire cable works great. You can use the extra wire for an electric fuel pump. It would be better if you can find it in 14 gauge rather than the 16 gauge that is commonly sold. Especially for using a electric fuel pump which draws mare amperage than rear light bulbs do. Also 6 volts systems can use twice the amperage as 12 volts so they require larger wires. Its a really clean installation.

Amazon even has the Asphalt loom for sale (below). Take a look at this Standard Motors Illustrated Parts Catalog, bottom of page C9. This is where companies are buying this loom in bulk and then packaging it in shorter lengths. They have 3/16" to 1" loom. Its neat stuff! I have all the old parts catalogs from work and this catalog I use the most for building hot rods. If you can find somebody to ship you this catalog get it. A parts store might even be able to give you one.

http://www.pageturnpro.com/Four-Seas...lt.html#page/1

https://www.amazon.com/Pico-8213PT-F.../dp/B0002ZGCFK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiringchannelclamp.jpg (51.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg AQ.jpg (53.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 41H8Eu2-89L.jpg (30.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 7_core_auto_cable_large.jpg (9.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg trailer-wiring-heavy-duty-7-pin-round-plug-and-socket.jpg (20.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-17-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
Flathead Fever

I found something else that would be the hot ticket if its the correct diameter? And its a factory Ford part! 1957 to 1962 Ford pickup. Run the wires inside a piece of oil cloth wiring loom and it will look like a factory installation. I'm going to buy one right now for my '34 pickup project. Thanks for starting the thread and getting me motivated!

https://www.cmwtrucks.com/product/57...umn-wire-clip/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg column.jpg (15.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
tubman

Also, thanks to you. I can see a couple of uses for these.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Most of the Model A suppliers have the woven loom avail in different sizes. On my A I ran all the turn signal wiring thru it, looked factory .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I found something else that would be the hot ticket if its the correct diameter? And its a factory Ford part! 1957 to 1962 Ford pickup. Run the wires inside a piece of oil cloth wiring loom and it will look like a factory installation. I'm going to buy one right now for my '34 pickup project. Thanks for starting the thread and getting me motivated!

https://www.cmwtrucks.com/product/57...umn-wire-clip/
That's the clamp I mentioned in my previous post. It will work on early columns.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 AM   #15
fortyonerag

I could not get cotton braided wire sleeve for my turn signals, so I took the middle out of a braided rope (you only need about 10 inches) and used the braid sleeve. A tiny bit of heat shrink each end stops fraying. My 41 is only a driver but this looks era compatible and is cheap and easy.

Alternatively wrap the signal wires in black cloth tape, they will look like they have been there forever.

Last edited by fortyonerag; 04-20-2019 at 06:36 AM.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #16
fortyonerag

The clamps from CMW look pretty good.

Unfortunately,

2 clamps USD$8

Shipping to AUS USD$106
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

OUCH !! !
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post

Unfortunately,

2 clamps USD$8

Shipping to AUS USD$106
That's a crazy price on the shipping. I just sent some old issues of the V-8 Times to New Zealand in a much bigger box than it would take for those clamps and the cost was a little over $38. The seller is not spending any time on finding a cheaper way to ship. Try C and G parts for those clamps. I'll bet they can send them cheaper.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post

Unfortunately,

2 clamps USD$8

Shipping to AUS USD$106
Why is this? I have sent several of my condensers (which, admittedly are a bit smaller than these clamps) to Australia and New Zealand from Minnesota. Each time, it was less than $20 USD and got there in 5-8 business days. I used USPS First Class Mail. I don't know what they charge for shipping in the US, but even if that is high, you should be able to get it done for less than $50. I'll look into it if you want.

I'll bet they are using one of the "commercial" carriers. I have hardly ever found a case where the USPS doesn't beat them, hands down.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
russcc

Call Ray Helgers, RI, he has the old steering column clips for turn signal sires, and the turn signals and wiring also. 401 635 4849, Wed.-Sat. call Early, he quits after lunch.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote