Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
29tudorsedan

Default Using original 29 core

I was looking to get original top and bottom tanks for my 29 and ended up coming across a complete original 29 rad including the core. I've heard these are pretty inefficient at cooling and I live in Texas and drive my car quite a bit, year round.

Does anyone have any experience running an original 29 core (in correct operation, clean, repaired) in a hot climate with success? Or would I just end up spending extra time/money working on the original core to only have to replace it with a new core down the road due to how I've been told a clean original 29 core runs?

Thanks in advance!
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: Using original 29 core

Buy a new round tube core from Bergs and have it installed with original tanks and frame.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
sethkestenbaum

I can't speak to a "fully" operational 1929 radiator. I have a 1929 with the funnel neck top (off the car now) that worked fine under 40 miles an hour but didn't clear the coolant through the tubes quickly enough at any speed over 43 (causing loss of coolant through the overflow). Mine had clogged tubes that I likely made worse doing a vinegar flush without a filter in place to keep loose rust out of the radiator. I intend to have this original rodded out at some point and perhaps put it back on the car or keep as a back up. I suspect that if it was rodded out it would work just fine. I've been running with a Bergs heavy duty touring radiator for about a year and it has been keeping things really cool. If you decide to go with one of his touring radiators instead of a re-core, be certain to encourage him to inspect his work for cosmetic flaws before he ships it to you. Don't goof around with the radiator for too long. You can/will overheat and may cause damage to your engine.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
DougVieyra

I had an original manufactured radiator on my late '28 Phaeton, had it 'cleaned up' at a radiator shop, and then re-installed it on my Phaeton when I restored it for 'Fine Point' blue ribbon MAFCA / MARC competition. It was correct and original and earned full points at judging.

Upon returning home ( I drove the car the 400 miles to the Portland Meet (1984) and another 400 miles home), after having put a thousand miles on the car/radiator, my experience with the lack of cooling caused me to remove it from the car and store it in my basement - where it remains today.

After removing it from the car I installed a new radiator (this was in 1984) that would never pass any serious judging, but did cool my car and has done an admirable job for the last 30 years.

Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Gary Karr

I use original radiators in my fine point cars as they are not often run at high speed. If you have a super nice original round tube core, I would try to trade/sell it for an original radiator with a marginal core as your one to rebuild. Original mint radiator cores are getting harder to find but there are certainly a lot of original radiators out there that you can re-core and still use original upper and lower tanks and side straps.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I use original radiators in my fine point cars as they are not often run at high speed. If you have a super nice original round tube core, I would try to trade/sell it for an original radiator with a marginal core as your one to rebuild. Original mint radiator cores are getting harder to find but there are certainly a lot of original radiators out there that you can re-core and still use original upper and lower tanks and side straps.
I vote for this as well, You should be able to sell/trade it for a unit that already was re-cored or a unit that needs a re-core.

Check with the restoration shops as they may be interested in a horse deal for your radiator.

You can also be real careful in the removing of the tanks and keep the core intact for future sale.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
DougVieyra

So, does anyone make/sell originial looking (funnel top, with 'ears' for holding hood ) with a modern (or other) core, that can be used for lots of 50-60 mph driving ? If so who, and at what cost ?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote