Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
29tudorsedan

Default One Shot drying time on tires

I wondered if anyone has had the same experience as I have, I painted my Goodyear 21" tires and spare (Firestone) last thursday with one shot, and as of today the paint is still tacky on the tire. When driving everything stays put, but I'm wondering when the paint will dry, or if there is anything I can do to help it along.

On the plus side, everything came out quite nicely in my opinion, and I very rarely see the 21" goodyears painted.

(the tire where paint was applied was prepped and cleaned with lighter fluid before painting, I know the rest of the rim was dirty! I was out in pouring rain earlier in that week.)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1556.JPG (179.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1557.JPG (145.1 KB, 222 views)
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
foxfire42

Default Re: One Shot drying time on tires

You did a nice job. I'm jealous. I spent hours getting mine ready for the Puyallup MAFCA Meet and had a similar drying problem but I assumed it was due to the humidity. I thought mine looked good until I got the car out into the sunlight. Boy! I did a terrible job. It's so bad I'll have to remove the paint and do it all over if I decide to show it again.

Did you do it free hand or use the Buegler stripping tool?
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
29tudorsedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
You did a nice job. I'm jealous. I spent hours getting mine ready for the Puyallup MAFCA Meet and had a similar drying problem but I assumed it was due to the humidity. I thought mine looked good until I got the car out into the sunlight. Boy! I did a terrible job. It's so bad I'll have to remove the paint and do it all over if I decide to show it again.

Did you do it free hand or use the Buegler stripping tool?
Thank you! I did it free hand, with a very tiny hypodermic needle as a very poor 'brush'... my original idea was to just use the needle as a striping tool controlling the flow, but it turned out the one shot was too thick to draw into the needle, so I just did it one drop at a time. About an hour per tire.

I have yet to stripe the rear goodyears because once I became aware of the drying issue I didn't want to re-paint 4 tires just in case it isn't ever going to dry.

It is very humid here, so I imagine that isn't helping.

I will say the Goodyear having a ridge on each side was extremely forgiving, I haven't put the stripe on my spare Firestone for that reason, but I have borrowed a Buegler to try and do the Firestone.

Did you use a Buegler on yours?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
foxfire42

I tried using the Buegler but the paint was too thin. Odd that it was too thick for your needle. I watched the Buegler "how to" video a couple times before trying it. I also used One Shot. No mater how I held the tool the paint ran out like water. I contacted the company to see if there was anything I could use to thicken it up. They did not respond to my question. So, I did it free hand with a teeny weeny brush.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
29tudorsedan

I believe part of my problem was the paint was barely thinned, hence the very long time it is taking to dry, my paint was more along the lines of syrup with how little I thinned it.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Gary Karr

I also used One Shot but thinned it with lacquer thinner as I went. I used a striping brush. The logos are tricky to get the white inside the red, only in the low spots and not over the raised lettering. Good job.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
29tudorsedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardAZ View Post
The 21" Goodyear logos look great with the red and white in the recessed areas and the letters black, however, there may have been no effort to do such a nicely painted logo originally. Check this thread for a picture of an original logo; research completed by Enrique Klein.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=tire+logo

I have seen this before, originally I actually had the logos filled but removed the paint from the lettering to see how it looked and was impressed with how nice it looked...if I paint the reverse of the sidewalls this is probably how I will paint the logo, more accurate, but very sharp looking when the letters aren't painted...