Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
29tudorsedan

Default Headlight glass/gasket

Two questions...

1. I just broke a headlight lens opening the headlight ring. The glass at the outside edge says 'Industria Argentina' I know Ford had a plant/compound there is this an original lens? If so I'll try to replace the lens I broke with an original.

2. I'm guessing the rubber headlight gaskets are way too thick?

I had cork ones that were falling apart and replaced them with the rubber, went to change a bulb, struggled with the tightness of the gasket while removing the ring from the spring clip at the bottom and bang, the lens broke. Will a new cork gasket be best? Or just cut down the rubber gasket?

Any ideas for how to gently remove the other tight headlight ring to avoid breaking another lens?

Thank you!
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Headlight glass/gasket

Cork is best.
Look at the upper third of the lens about in the middle. If there is a tiny number there it's an original Ford lens. If not, no. I seriously doubt there were any made in Argentina.

For the other ring: I put a pile of towels or rags on the floor where I'm working just in case one lets loose. I've also worked on a lawn for the same protection. Make sure when you put the lenses back in you have the little retainers in place.

BTW, nice colors on the Tudor. I've got a 29 in Andalusite blue.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 11-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
29tudorsedan

Good to know, it'll be much quicker to order some cork gaskets and a new lens! I don't see a number there, so in a way I'm glad, I was hoping I hadn't broken an original!

Thanks! I will say I like your black wheels though, plus your coupe looks very nice, I've thought about black on mine, it's interesting how you almost don't notice the wheels are spoke wheels with black. I've heard for the most part from the factory all A wheels were black, any truth in this that you know of?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I believe the rubber isn't good for the silver plating. I still have the original cork gaskets in mine and the original silver is still in pretty nice condition.

I did one worse than you. I had purchased two mint original fluted lenses at Hershey about 12 years ago. I had them wrapped in a towel in the back seat of my car, and one day went to grab the towel. I forgot the lenses were in the towel and they flew out onto the gravel and both of them broke.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 11-24-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
29tudorsedan

Sounds good then, I'll go back to cork definitely, and that sounds consistent date wise, the car was restored in the 80's, so that fits perfectly.

Tom, ouch! I would be pretty bummed as I'm sure you were!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Richard Redmond

I hadn't realised that the headlight lens gaskets were originally cork!
I've fitted rubber / neoprene gaskets.

Checking the online catalogue from Brattons - they do a rubberised cork gasket (presumably original style) Part #18120. So these are going onto my Christmas wish list!

Last edited by Richard Redmond; 11-26-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I believe the rubber isn't good for the silver plating. I still have the original cork gaskets in mine and the original silver is still in pretty nice condition.

I did one worse than you. I had purchased two mint original fluted lenses at Hershey about 12 years ago. I had them wrapped in a towel in the back seat of my car, and one day went to grab the towel. I forgot the lenses were in the towel and they flew out onto the gravel and both of them broke.
I sold a pair of originals to Brentwood Bob. Wrapped them in corrugated cardborad and bubble wrap, wrote FRAGILE all over the box, and the USPS still managed to break one. I still feel bad about that for Bob, and haven't figured a way to make it right with him yet. If I find another good original I'll just send it to him. I owe him.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I sold a pair of originals to Brentwood Bob. Wrapped them in corrugated cardborad and bubble wrap, wrote FRAGILE all over the box, and the USPS still managed to break one. I still feel bad about that for Bob, and haven't figured a way to make it right with him yet. If I find another good original I'll just send it to him. I owe him.
I'm totally fed up with the USPS. Seems they can't ship a thing without breaking it or loosing it. For that reason I buy very little on ebay anymore.

I was sent a powerhouse generator to restore the other day and it arrived with a bent pulley and beat up box corners. I'd like to go undercover and follow a box from point A to point B just to see how they manage to damage so much stuff.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 11-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
mhsprecher

FWIW, I have started double-boxing things I have been shipping. The USPS flat rate boxes are a great deal, but I pack stuff very well. As for eBay, some people don't pack stuff very well. Something I got last week had some paper towels thrown in. It wasn't fragile, but the packing was terrible. It was wrapped in three paper grocery bags. I have a ton of boxes I keep for just situations like this.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote