Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
RHD

Default Re: How loud is too loud for gears?

Through the years, I have driven many Model 'A's, restored and unrestored. Most of the restored cars have gearboxes with noises ranging from reasonably noisy to fairly quiet. One or two cars really stand out, with one 1930 Phaeton being exceptional. I knew the owner well, now deceased. The car had one owner when my friend purchased it in 1965 and it did not really need restoring, having done around 58,000 miles. The original owner would not take it out in the rain and treated it well. The body was repainted it’s original colors and the seat were re-upholstered. The body was not lifted purposely from the frame and the doors closed exceptionally well with just a slight click. Perfect. The gearbox, diff and engine were not touched at that stage with the engine having a valve grind before it was purchased. That is when I first drove the car. The gearbox could only be called outstanding. The gears were very quiet, hardly a sound and gear change was a breeze. Unknown is the grade of oil in the gearbox. I commented to the owner on how quiet the gears were and he thought they were nothing exceptional as this was the way they were supposed to sound, and I expect he was correct. He thought that most gearbox problems arose through only 3 things.
1. Incorrect gear oil.
2. Gear oil not being changed at regular intervals.
3. Incorrect gear changes where the gears were engaged at too high a speed or the driver was in too much of a hurry to change gears. This grating of the gears caused very small particles of metal to be removed, getting into the bearings over time, making matters worse.
I did some 40 miles that day with the owner going to sleep. It felt great to be trusted with such a magnificent car.

I also had the chance to drive a 1929 Phaeton displayed in a local museum. The museum curator had no idea how to start the car or even drive it. He asked what those funny levers did behind the steering wheel and said when he turned the ignition key nothing happened. Should we push start it? That about says it all. I started the car, which took a bit of starting and got it out onto the road. What a beautiful gearbox. Hardly any noise and a very clean gear change. I am quite sure that all Model ‘A’s would have sounded like that when new. Today with some (but not all) ‘shoddy’ new gears around we cannot expect miracles. To my surprise that 29 Phaeton steered a lot better than expected. Fitted with a 7 tooth box, it steered a lot better than some 2 tooth cars I have driven. Again the mileage was reasonably low, from memory around 69,000. I doubt if the steering box had ever been removed.

I have a NOS complete gearbox to install in my 1930 Standard Roadster. It will be very interesting to see how it sounds. I am going to use Shell Omala 320 gear oil which I have used in all my Model ‘A’s through the years with a little antifriction additive added.

RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
29tudorsedan

Default Re: How loud is too loud for gears?

Just got through with changing engine oil, and 600W in transmission (almost dry, and a little dusting of metal shavings in the tiny puddle of oil that was in it), rear end was filled but oil was pretty spent, so far up and down the driveway to go to the other side of the garage was like driving a different car, much better. Thanks a lot! Will have a better verdict after finishing greasing the fittings and taking a nice drive.
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)