Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1959 F100 motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post

About five years later a friend of mine game me a '71 F100 w/240 six and a T18 4 spd. As we were parting the truck out I discovered that the 240 six had the same bolt pattern on the bell-housing as the 351 W, the housing also had the two motor mount pads.

I kept the bell-housing and T18 combo just in case I needed it to repower another early truck.
... hmmph ...

Now that is good info to know. You say the 240 and SBF bell pattern to the engine is the same?

THANX!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
blucar

Default Re: 1959 F100 motor mount

I am not an authority on late model Ford engines, meaning Y-Blocks, FE's SBF, etc., however I have swapped a few around, and/or tried to. I like to bolt things together in lieu of using a Victor Wrench (welder}..

I have found that for the most part the Ford V8 engines, Y Blk., 352/360 have a round bell-housing where-as the later engines, SBF, etc., have a pattern that has a partial radius then flattens out on the top.
If you are trying to upgrade the engine to a later model engine it is best to use the trans that the engine originally had, however, in the case of trucks, this is not always practical because the truck trans might be a stick.
Ford used the T98 4 spd trans from the early '50's through '64 in the F100-F500 trk's. In '65 and later Ford switched to the New Process T-18 4 spd with the 6 and V8 engines.
As I mentioned in my earlier comments to this tread, I stumbled onto the 240 6 cyln 4 spd bell housing fitment to an SBF by pure accident.
I have attached a pix of my 59 F100 4x4, it turned out to be a very nice truck. I have three of them, one restored and two waiting, I also have a 66 F250 4x4 that I am working on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 Ford 4x4.jpg (33.4 KB, 9 views)