Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
mumpsimus

Default 221 rear main needed, and a question about width

The rear main bearing on my motor is OK diameter, but there is a lot of end float on the crankshaft: about 0.025" The bearing is 2.246" wide overall. Does that sound correct, or is the bearing worn on the thrust face by about 0.020"? I don't have another bearing to compare it to.

I've called a few of the shops, but nobody seems to have .040" over main bearings for sale. (crank is ground to 2.360" but 2.400" is standard) Does anybody have a 040 rear main on their shelf? I'll buy the set of all three main bearings if needed, but the other two are OK in my motor.

thanks!
Pete
mumpsimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: 221 rear main needed, and a question about width

Check with barnfind08 here on the barn. He may.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
barnfind08

Yes I do
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
Brian

Std length is 2.249" -2,251". Ford did manufacture some rear mains 0.015" longer...unfortunately I have no part number for this particular bearing.
If you can only source std length 0.040" rear main bearings, what I have done occasionally over the years in this situation is to build up the flanges with babbit and machine back to the size required. It can be done! Good luck with your hunt
Old 05-28-2021, 02:05 AM   #5
mumpsimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Std length is 2.249" -2,251". Ford did manufacture some rear mains 0.015" longer...unfortunately I have no part number for this particular bearing.
If you can only source std length 0.040" rear main bearings, what I have done occasionally over the years in this situation is to build up the flanges with babbit and machine back to the size required. It can be done! Good luck with your hunt

Sounds like my bearing is standard length within a few thou. So it must be the crank that has worn to allow so much float?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2021, 02:06 AM   #6
mumpsimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
Yes I do

I left you a few messages over the past week, let me know if you didn’t get them?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
mumpsimus

Quote:

Hi Brian. The crank is 2.275” wide between the oil slinger and cheek of the bobweight. That slinger isn’t removable is it? Wishful thinking!

It sounds like my crank wore 0.025” for some reason. I would have expected the bearing to wear, not the crank.

What happens if the crank is allowed to have .025” of end float? That seems like trouble. Possibly the gears to the cam would wear?

I don’t want to buy a new crankshaft, so I’ll keep thinking about this.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
Brian

More likely, whoever ground the crankshaft, widened the thrust faces with the edge of the wheel. You definitely do not want to reassemble the engine with .025" end float! Like I've previously said, Ford did supply bearings .015" longer in some sizes, but I cannot find a part number for .040". Barnfind has .040" bearings, possibly he has the .015" over length version too, however, you'll still have excessive end float. So, either build up the thrust faces of the new bearings and re-machine to suit, build up and re-machine the crankshaft- many $$$$$, or find another crankshaft. If I were you, I'd use option 3, try and find a crankshaft with closer to std sized journals
Old 05-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
mumpsimus

Default 221 rear main needed, and a question about width

Quote:
More likely, whoever ground the crankshaft, widened the thrust faces with the edge of the wheel. You definitely do not want to reassemble the engine with .025" end float! Like I've previously said, Ford did supply bearings .015" longer in some sizes, but I cannot find a part number for .040". Barnfind has .040" bearings, possibly he has the .015" over length version too, however, you'll still have excessive end float. So, either build up the thrust faces of the new bearings and re-machine to suit, build up and re-machine the crankshaft- many $$$$$, or find another crankshaft. If I were you, I'd use option 3, try and find a crankshaft with closer to std sized journals

I thought about it for a quick minute, then took the main bearing to a local friend who is a pre1916 car machinist. He’s adding babbit to the thrust face tomorrow. Maybe a previous owner held the clutch in a lot at stoplights which loaded up that bearing and wore the slinger face on the crank. My buddy has done several bearings like this previously, so I’m happy to follow your advice and his. Fingers crossed that I’ll be reassembling the motor next week.

Last edited by mumpsimus; 05-28-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
Brian

That'll work, congratulations on getting it sorted
Old 05-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #11
barnfind08

OP Out of town will be back on Monday
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote