Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
Flathead Youngin'

Default Making your own gaskets

Before the fire, I had a tool box with gasket material and tools to make gaskets. I had some surgeon's scissors that the handle was about 60 degrees from the cutting material, some hollow leather punches, some leather punch pliers, a nice little ball peen hammer, a piece of hard maple and probably some other things I've forgotten.

Yes, I know gaskets are typically cheap but I like to do a lot of things myself AND sometimes you need it before you can get it shipped.

What do you use or suggest for making gaskets?

Is there a way to make thin edged gaskets like those on the air horn of a 97? I just order those but would like to make them, too, if possible.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Making your own gaskets

sounds like you have it under control. thin ones are no different to me, just a little more delicate. i always make the easy ones, and stuff not so easy to make just keep a bunch in stock. dont worry, you'll remember after the last order has already been shipped to buy some extra gaskets
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:51 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

for something like that I would trace with sharp pencil, then cut with scalpel or new xacto knife, have leather punch pliers with assorted sizes along with gasket punches both homemade and factory
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
FrankWest

Very useful for those hard to reach areas.

Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube
Sensor-safe, non-corrosive formula designed for superior adhesion to oily surfaces and long term durability
Superior resistance to powertrain fluids including engine oil, transmission fluid, gear lube and coolants
Retains high flexibility and eliminates the need for pre-formed, pre-cut, paper, rubber or cork gaskets; OEM specified and approved for dealership warranty requirements
Temperature Range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent
Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, and differential covers

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-01-2020 at 06:18 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Terry,OH

For larger circular gaskets a centering punch that indexes the center of the first punch so the second punch creates concentric circles. The centering pin is spring loaded and can be removed. Good hand punch for small screw holes with a head that rotates for different sizes. You can find the larger centering punches pictured on Ebay, the small punch is below. Get higher quality punches since they make the job much easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03025.jpg (51.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hole punch set.jpg (33.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 01-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Flathead Youngin'

Hmmm, Terry, I'm trying to visualize that.....

And, I do realize that some gaskets (steering box and banjo rear) are the shims of differing thickness for the lash.

Cas3, I thought someone might have a unique tool or technique that I didn't list and it would make the process on the next level.....

Thanks, good ideas here!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
19Fordy

For concentric circular holes, first lat them out with a compass.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
ford38v8

An exacto knife, and a set of wood turning chisels come to mind. Leather punches come in many shapes besides round also.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
RalphM

There is a neat video on the H.A.M.B. of a guy that uses his wife’s sewing machine pattern cutter to make perfect gaskets. I can’t remember the name of the machine but he substitutes material with gasket paper.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Flathead Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
There is a neat video on the H.A.M.B. of a guy that uses his wife’s sewing machine pattern cutter to make perfect gaskets. I can’t remember the name of the machine but he substitutes material with gasket paper.
I had wondered if, eventually, my CNC machine would cut them out....

Wonder if what he uses is a vinyl cutter? I'll dig around over there....that would be interesting.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
Flathead Youngin'

Ahh, I see now. Thanks for posting the pic, pics always help.

I thought those were just interchangeable tips. I now see the centering tip. Sorta like the drill bit in a hole saw.

Dang it, I ordered the old fashioned ones. Well, I might just have to have both styles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
For larger circular gaskets a centering punch that indexes the center of the first punch so the second punch creates concentric circles. The centering pin is spring loaded and can be removed. Good hand punch for small screw holes with a head that rotates for different sizes. You can find the larger centering punches pictured on Ebay, the small punch is below. Get higher quality punches since they make the job much easier.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #12
Flathead Youngin'

Ok, yeah, a Cricut…..interesting

I didn't think a drag knife for a CNC would cut that thickness....pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejUzvfGuY8
Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
Flathead Youngin'

In case you find it interesting. Here's a video of a CNC router cutting out a typical gasket. The device in the CNC machine is called a drag knife. Donek tools make them and you can even use your CNC to make a drag knife yourself.

In action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOG9gw7ztU

Donek tools:

I'm a few months away from getting my 4x8 CNC set back up. I guess I may be doing it this way! I knew they could do vinyl and carboard but just thought gasket material might be more difficult. I guess not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1G4WtkU91c
Old 01-02-2020, 04:17 AM   #14
CA Victoria

Flathead, i grew up with my g-pa teaching me how to make stuff, gasket making was one skill we learned I had a 1932 pickup at age 13 where it all begin.
To the point, for those little guys the exacto as suggested but i will take very small diameter model tubing sharpened on the end to make or start a hole.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
chiefdave

For hole punches I've always used spent centerfire brass. Cheap and comes in several sizes from .25" to .5". Plus you get to convert them from live to spent.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
Mart

Very often you can use a small ball pein hammer to cut a gasket to the shape of the part it has to fit on.

One criteria, however, is that the part has to be strong enough to be tapped on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #17
Tinker

These make great hole punches. Free, as you usually have a few of different sizes left over from kits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 6.45.10 PM.jpg (6.7 KB, 6 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Ray in La Mesa

In a tight spot I made a gasket punch out of a piece of electrical conduit.If you need a smaller punch, I made a lengthwise cut in the tube and squeezed it down to the size I needed and welded it.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #19
ursus

I found a set of inexpensive hole punches at Harbor Freight that are in SAE sizes up to 1/2 inch and make sharp precision cuts in the gasket material.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote