Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
james1savage

Default Roadster Project

Hey guys, I've been a part of the group for a number of years but only really lurked. Time to start posting I guess.

I've have a 1964 Fairlane which has been a long term project, finally finished and has been on the road for a few years. I'll try to create an album of it with some pictures.

Anyway, reason I am posting here is I now have a 29 A Roadster coming my way and I'm planning on how to finish it. I've known the car for about 30 years and in that time it's never been on the road. The car has a long history in a remote area where I hunt, originally one of he first cars in the area and has the name of the ranch on the door.

Long story but this will be my first project from this era. My thoughts are I don't want to cut and hack anything up, rather I'm thinking a pre-war style 4 banger hot rod. Really simple and clean look.

This isn't really a build thread, more just wanted to share what I'm going to be up to and possibly tap the wealth of knowledge and information on the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3039.jpg (70.9 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster1.jpg (72.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3043.jpg (59.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3041.jpg (68.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster2.jpg (75.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster4.jpg (76.2 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster3.jpg (48.4 KB, 317 views)
james1savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Chuck Dempsey

Default Re: Roadster Project

'A wealth of knowledge' there certainly is here. Welcome aboard and good luck. Keep us posted....
Chuck Dempsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Nice! Looks pretty solid!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
rotorwrench

That's certainly more do-able with little or no modification to structure or running gear. An AV8 conversion, not so much. There is a lot of stuff available for the little 200 cid 4-bangers and they will scat right along since any engine mod done will make a noticeable difference. It would be easy to go back if you deside that originality is what you want.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-21-2019 at 10:16 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Synchro909

IMO, a car like that deserves to be got running and driven pretty much as is. If you restore it, it becomes just another "restored" car. They are original only once and anything on that car that is not as Ford did it in the day is part of its history. We are only the current custodians of these cars and for each one "restored", there is one less for those who come after us to marvel at.
I envy your purchase.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Flathead Youngin'

Looks like a great little banger project. Dust her off, spiff her up and get the 'ole girl out in the sunshine regularly.

Keep us posted with pics!
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
mike657894

get your stock engine running good first before getting speed parts. Im waiting on a new dizzy to correct a bent shaft that makes #4 miss. Im hoping for 60mph I have had 57(per gps) as my current top speed. when the car came to me it seemed sluggish and top speed was 46 and I was drooling over high comp head and webber carbs. Dont worry if that tilly carb weeps gas a bit I have bought every needle and seat combo all have weeped. clean up the inside of the tank valve or replace so it works well.

Im a second on maintaining patina. I see there is some open metal. the patina crowd uses linseed oil to preserve the patina.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
62pan

Do you lurk on the Hamb? If so, check out the monthly banger meets. Lots of hop up info there.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
Colonial coupe

Linseed oil works ok but I've switched to owratrol oil, you can get it on Amazon and possibly Ebay, it works much better than linseed oil. I use it on my 48 F1 once a year weather it needs it or not. I agree that some cars need to be preserved as used.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
panhead_pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pan View Post
Do you lurk on the Hamb? If so, check out the monthly banger meets. Lots of hop up info there.

Indeed and heaps of other guys building hot rods in a similar vane with their own threads etc. There is a wealth of knowledge there as well as here.

Good luck with it sounds like a great project!

Thanks
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
james1savage

I really appreciate your input guys. My understanding is the engine was rebuilt but never fired, so my plan is to get it running as is and take it from there. Right now I don’t have plans to paint it, probably clean it all up and just run it. I’m very pleased the original owner’s name and ranch are still visible on the door, I believe the drivers door is in similar shape. The interior is new, just not installed.

In your opinion would you take the head off or anything to take and look in the cylinders to check their condition before trying to fire it?
james1savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
1930artdeco

I wouldn’t bother with the head if you have proof that it was done. Even then I would just fire her up and see how she does. Change the fluids and let her rip. After that, then see what needs to be done.

Mike
Old 12-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I wouldn’t bother with the head if you have proof that it was done. Even then I would just fire her up and see how she does. Change the fluids and let her rip. After that, then see what needs to be done.

Mike
How about change the fluids and then fire her up? Be sure to put some oil down the plug holes and crank it over with the plugs out to get the rings and cylinder walls lubed. Check around and you will find suggestions on how to start up an engine that has set for a long time.

Don't forget to lube the distributer, generator, water pump, and the shaft that passes behind the engine next to the firewall. Lubricate the chassis before driving it. Note that there is a lube chart in the "Instruction Manual" that came with the car. Yours is probably lost but they are available for about $10 from most of the suppliers. Try to get one as close to the date of your car as possible.

Keep the patina, it looks great.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 12-27-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
henry's 31

It looks like its all there. Like you I love the challenge of a restoration and placing another Model A back on the road.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
62pan

I think I would pull the valve side cover to see how clean it looks inside. If that looks good fire it up. If it's a mess in there then drop the pan and pull the head before I tried to start it.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote