Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #41
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: Roy Nacewicz

Sorry to hear of his passing. Roy has always been my "go to" guy over the years for fasteners and the like. Will miss our phone calls. He took with him much knowledge! Another sad day for Ford collectors. RIP Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #42
sanford

One never knows when "time is up". Make the most of it. Very sad news.
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #43
Graeme / New Zealand

Bugger..sad news indeed. I've got a "fridge magnet" advertising his nut business that was sent to me when I ordered something from someone else, had it stuck on the side of my computer box for ages before I went to a lap top...a true "legend" whom I heard mentioned on this site numerous times.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #44
Ford46

The Early Ford V8 Club and the hobby in general will truly miss Roy, always helpful to those with needs or a question. Our thoughts and prayers for him and his family.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #45
3twinridges

Gosh I just talked to him a few weeks ago and had a great conversation about fastener sizes as usual with Roy. I always enjoyed the time with him when I placed an order. Condolences to the family.

Jonathan
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #46
jim1932

Wow, first Dick, now Roy..... the hobby is losing good ones. In the words of that country song....."Who's gonna fill their shoes?" A lot of knowledge being lost. As a relatively younger hobbiest (mid 50's), it is sad to see the legends pass.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #47
46fatford

Sorry to hear this.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #48
VeryTangled

Catching up a bit late here... Everyone, It never gets easier to remember the last time you spent with someone important to your life. Or all the other times! Our reward is we can go on cherishing the times. Roy holds a special place in the heart. Crushed.

Tire sponsors await the good ones. And all the spares required to use up those skins!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #49
DavidG

For those of you who only knew the friendly, helpful voice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy-Nacewicz.jpg (24.0 KB, 95 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
Flathead Fever

That is so sad. I remember my dad buying bolts from him when I was just a kid, decades later I was doing it. Every-time I ordered bolts I asked him question. He's talk to me for an hour on the phone. I don't know if he liked me or I had just ordered $400.00 worth of bolts? I bought a disassembled '34 pickup and all the bolts were gone. I went through Roy's catalog and ordered everything he had for that pickup. It was a lot of stuff. When it arrived not one bolt was missing or wrong.

I asked him how he got started selling Ford hardware? He said he worked for Ford, directly across the street from the Ford archives. He knew where Ford purchased their hardware. He had access to the archives to research anything he wanted. Most importantly he loved Early V8 Fords and he was able to combine his knowledge from working at Ford to help preserve these cars. If he couldn't buy it he had it made even in small quantities that no one else would have bothered to reproduce because it wouldn't have been very profitable. I got the feeling he wasn't in it for the money.

He was the nicest guy in the world. We talked about the decline of America and especially Detroit area. If this country is important to you or I should say, if you like how it use to be, this was a flag waving guy that felt the same way.

Early Ford bolts are special. Maybe because my Dad ,as a restorer drilled that it into me. He saved buckets of Ford bolts he gathered from friends. I "hate" seeing restored cars with modern fasteners. I've seen 300K to 400K supposedly period correct hot rods win their class at Pebble Beach, only to crawl underneath them and see modern bolts from the Home Depot.

I had a bolt question that I could not find the answer to so I called Roy up. I wanted to know what year bolt manufacturers started marking the heads with grade 5 or grade 8. So that if I were building a period correct hot rod or judging one, what year built hot rods would or would not have had any grade markings on the bolt heads?

He said years and years ago he was at a Thunderbird car show and that subject had came up. In that group of guys just happened to be a guy from The Society of Engineers. Every year they get together and discuss the changes in the automotive industry that need to be standardized the following year. One topic at that 1956 meeting was coming up with a way of identifying the grade of bolts. 1956 or 1957 would have seen the first use of the current identification marks we still use.

When these old guys go all that kind of knowledge is lost. The loss of the person is sad but so is the knowledge that they take with them.

He was such an important person for Early Ford restorers. I never met him in person but over the phone he felt like he would have been the kind of guy you would have loved to have as your next door neighbor.

I hope somebody is there to continue on with his business. Its just like Lebaron Bonney, these places that have been around forever and you just assume they always will be. Then one day they are gone and there is nobody to fill the gap. Its going to get harder and harder to restore these cars, even the reproduction parts will start to dry up.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #51
Lawrie

I got a set of head studs and nuts from him only last week,talked to him via e/m about getting some more stuff from the great catalogue he sent me,one very nice and helpfull guy, he will be missed ,even way down here in central QLD Australia.
Thank you Roy.Rest in Peace.
Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #52
STEVE O

Thoughts and prayers to his family. He will be missed.
STEVE O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #53
Ziggster

My condolences to his family. I'm new to this forum and hobby and was just preparing a list of things to purchase.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #54
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I had only talked to him a few times, but he was always super helpful. Will be greatly missed!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #55
Pete/Ct.

Roy was truly a National Treasure. I've had the pleasure to have been doing business when I did my first 34, 30 years ago. His expertise and generosity with his time walked me through my first and subsequent restorations. Our hobby has certainly lost a true gentleman and giant in the Ford world.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #56
dave collette

I considered Roy to be good friend.He will will be missed .I will miss our long phone calls.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #57
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Roy holds a special place in the heart.
And on all the cars I own. Several parts.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #58
Manuel

Sorry to hear of his passing. He was a great guy.

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #59
NealinCA

Sad news indeed. He will be missed in this hobby of ours.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #60
48-710

Roy, was a God send to me with knowledge and help in getting the correct fasteners for my roadster restoration. Nothing was too much trouble even living half a world away. RIP
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote