Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
pgb24t

Default magneto quit no notice

I recharged my magnets, set the gap had a wonderful magneto. One day it just quit with no notice. I had replaced the bands and checked both the oil screen and mag post for debris and found nothing major.
The mag post is on set up for an oil line to the #1 cylinder. I removed the mag post and made sure that there was not damage to the spring loaded post.
There was no noise like something was hitting so I do not know what happened.
Also, I placed a magnet in the oil screen and there was no iron metal. The engine was professionally rebuilt so that #4 main beaning gap as set correctly.
The mag ring was a rebuilt one.
Any suggestions? thanks
pgb24t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: magneto quit no notice

Start easy, first check your switch then if you find no issues, check the magneto output.
You will need an analog meter not digital. THE MAGNETO IS AN AC DEVICE SO HAVE YOUR METER SET TO AC.
First test to see if you have any output. With the car running on battery connect the leads to the post and frame. With the car running at idle, what is your reading?
If there is a reading, make up a test light using a 12 volt brake light bulb. Connect it to the same places, it act as a load. Reconnect the meter and take readings from idle up to fast run. What are the readings?
You need to use an analog meter because the magneto makes too much interference for most digital meters to be able to get a reading.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
jboggess

My magneto went out for awhile, after messing around with the mag post still no luck. One day checking my oil i noticed that it was really pretty high. I drained some so it barely came out of the top oil valve on the side of the hogs head. After that it started working again and hasnt stopped since... I dont know if thats the issue with yours but just throwing it out there.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
pgb24t

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the help-I will keep you posted
pgb24t is offline   Reply With Quote