Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
fritzz13

Default first ride

today was the first time I have taken' my 28 model a for a drive and enjoyed every minute of it,but I had noticed while shifting through the gears second was very noisey,is that normal.
fritzz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: first ride

Congratulations on the ride!

Can you define "noisy"? Grinding, clattering, whining, clicking,? And when, while shifting, climbing, coasting, under throttle, off throttle?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Russ B

Whenever I get any new (old) car on the road, I notice all sorts of strange sounds. Unless it is a really scary tearing apart type sound I will usually keep on driving it and keep paying attention to it until I have more of a mental feeling as to what is going on. It can take weeks or even months to figure some noises out or for me to just get used to it and stop noticing the noise. If I am concerned about active damage associated with the sound, I take it to my mechanic for a second opinion. ...and as a general rule, when I am ready to start a newly built car I have it flat bed towed to my mechanic for a safety check before I start it. He is mostly a new car guy but I trust him and he is happy to work on my old stuff as needed. If I was a club guy, I would likely ask a fellow club member to check out such things.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
fritzz13

everything seems fine,first gear feels good no noise,shift to second very noisey sorta grinding sound,shift into 3rd all is good,runs great.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
QGolden

Noise after it gets into gear, and the clutch is out, or while you are getting into 2nd gear?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Russ B

are you double clutching going into second? ...does the grinding noise continue after getting into second gear?
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
fritzz13

yes I do double clutch,but the noise is only after I am in second gear while driving.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
fritzz13

yes russb,it continues after in second gear.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
QGolden

Did you take it apart or is it an "original" tranny with an unknown past? If it is original, I would run it for a while and monitor it. Ride in a few others and see you can hear a similiar noise, or take an A owner or two out for a ride and have them listen.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
Tudortomnz

2nd gear has a more noticeable ''whine'' to it. You would notice it if never driven an A before.
Check out someones Model A for comparison. I think you may find it is nothing to worry about.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
colin1928

Change the oil put 600w in it
many have modern oil and really whine
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you failed to mention if you serviced it with the proper fluid. make sure you do the diff also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
[email protected]

Back in the day lots of women used second gear as their automatic transmission. They would start off in second and leave it in second for around town driving. This wore out the second gear well before the others.

I heard this from two separate old timers back some 30 years ago and it does make some sense.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Ron/IA

My second gear has a "whine" when in that gear, and it does when under under load. I have been monitoring it for 40+ years, and it has not changed. I have been in others cars, and the same "whine" is sometimes in theirs too. I have come to not worry about it.

You mentioned it was a "sorta grinding sound"; that sound you may want to monitor very closely, and as mentioned above, have others listen.

You can lift the floor boards and take off the shifting tower to get a better look. While you can't see everything; it would be a start, and you may get lucky and see something.

Good luck,
Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
fritzz13

when I first got the car it has been sitting for a couple of years.i got it running after a few days,drained all the fluids,the tranny had dirty gear oil but no signs of anything in the oil,i will drop the oil again and check,maybe its just me this is my first model "A" and not use to all the normal noises,thanks for all the help guys.plan on going for another ride this weekend I will keep you posted.