Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2019, 04:26 AM   #1
mike657894

Default i need some help. What regulator/pump for stock carb with underbody fuel cell?

I need some help. What regulator/pump for stock carb with under body fuel cell? I have explained to people close to me the danger of the tank in lap. What do I need to do to put a fuel cell under car? I scared them and now they wont ride in car untll I fix it. 12v negative ground.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
brokenspoke

Default Re: i need some help. What regulator/pump for stock carb with underbody fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
I need some help. What regulator/pump for stock carb with under body fuel cell? I have explained to people close to me the danger of the tank in lap. What do I need to do to put a fuel cell under car? I scared them and now they wont ride in car untll I fix it. 12v negative ground.
I don't think a stock updraft carb can handle any kind of fuel pressure....I'm all my 70 years on this earth I've never seen a model A fuel tank explode...What is your explanation of danger?
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
marty in Ohio

Default Re: i need some help. What regulator/pump for stock carb with underbody fuel cell?

Mike,
I'm sure more people were harmed in the Pinto with the gas tank right at the rear bumper than in your average, stock Model A Ford. Last summer we raised money at our church in various ways. I took people for rides in my '30 town sedan for $2.00 a piece. I had folks standing in line for a ride. Drive slow, be careful.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
kenparker

If the stock gas tank blows up while you are in the car - you are dead. If under body fuel cell blows up wjhile you are in the car - you are dead.

I have been driving, repairing, fixin" playing with Model A's since 1963 and yet have seen a gas tank blow up. Did see and electrical fire under the hood - driver side - once, Fire extinguisher put it out.

As Marty said, drive slow, be careful and make sure there are NO LEAKS in the system.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I always felt that the location of the tank was so far out of the crush zone for most accidents that it wasn't worth worrying about. I would be worried about air bags, headrests, seat belts, shoulder harnesses, collapsible steering column, side impact bars, and 4 wheel antilock disc brakes long before I would worry about the gas tank location (note: don't bring these up to the people close to you or you will never have any passengers). If I needed a car to drive a lot of miles in modern traffic everyday it wouldn't be a Model A. If I want something to drive around on weekends or tours a Model A is a good choice.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-23-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
So your scare mongering has put people off! Maybe you should think before you speak. 5 million model As and I have not heard of the tank causing such a problem in any of them. If those people won't ride, let them walk.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

Ford was sued and constantly dealt with issues about the gas tank location.You choose to drive a 90 year old car with a rigid steering column and wheel and doors that pop open with the slightest impact,dying in a fuel fire is the least of your worries.A rotary style electronic fuel pump puts out 2 to 4 psi consistently and one has lasted me 9 years of hard driving..

https://www.autoanything.com/fuel-sy...EaAvJgEALw_wcB
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
Synchro909

If you must carry on with this, try a fuel pump from a carburettor model Subaru. Cheap, deliver the right pressure and reliable.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #9
Pete

I have a 16 gallon foam filled fuel cell in a certified "can" under the back of my 2 door.
The trunk and trailer hitch hides it.
I use a Holley fuel pump and an Aeromotive regulator.

There have been few fatal model A gas tank fires over the years but if there was even one,
it was one too many.
I like the look of the model A. That is why I have two.
Putting the gas tank in the back does not change the look.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #10
daveymc29

34 years and three months in the Oakland fire department and I can say I have been to a goodly number of automobile and truck fires. I have yet to see a gas tank explode. Mind, I don't say it hasn't happened but I do believe the fear is instilled in us by Hollywood where any car will be blown to pieces if they hit the guardrail of do a fender bender. I had one occasion where a car got airborne on a busy freeway and landed on top of seven different cars in a line before it stopped, upside down in the roadway. It killed a person in every car it hit as it travelled end over end down the line of stopped traffic and when we righted it we found the drive under his own mangled machine, also dead. Memorial Day, 1960, 12 Engine, OFD if anyone doubts. Not one car caught fire. My opinion is that if you mount a tank under the Model A you increase your odds of dying from a fire considerably over using the standard tank, in good repair and with the aid of common sense. Don't us a match to check the fuel level at night or to test for leaks when you have a smell telling you there is a gas leak. If you must solder on a gas tank, make sure it is full. preferably with and inert gas or water. I have soldered a VW tank that was full of gasoline, but was much younger and more stupid then.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
34 years and three months in the Oakland fire department and I can say I have been to a goodly number of automobile and truck fires. I have yet to see a gas tank explode. Mind, I don't say it hasn't happened but I do believe the fear is instilled in us by Hollywood where any car will be blown to pieces if they hit the guardrail of do a fender bender. I had one occasion where a car got airborne on a busy freeway and landed on top of seven different cars in a line before it stopped, upside down in the roadway. It killed a person in every car it hit as it travelled end over end down the line of stopped traffic and when we righted it we found the drive under his own mangled machine, also dead. Memorial Day, 1960, 12 Engine, OFD if anyone doubts. Not one car caught fire. My opinion is that if you mount a tank under the Model A you increase your odds of dying from a fire considerably over using the standard tank, in good repair and with the aid of common sense. Don't us a match to check the fuel level at night or to test for leaks when you have a smell telling you there is a gas leak. If you must solder on a gas tank, make sure it is full. preferably with and inert gas or water. I have soldered a VW tank that was full of gasoline, but was much younger and more stupid then.
I agree 110% Hollywood has a lot to answer for yet they expect us to fall about and fawn all over them. Makes me sick.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
katy

One fellow told me
Quote:
Don't us a match to check the fuel level at night
It's not safe, use a lighter.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Railcarmover
BANNED

On the other hand...

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2015/08/3...n-temple-city/
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
kenparker

Maybe we should quit telling the dangers of gasoline and answer the original question.

Here is pix of the fuel pump I use on the woody engine. Engine has a Weber 2 barrell downdraft and th tank is still in the cowl. There is not enough pressure to keep the Weber running consistant, thus the fuel pump. Works great in my case. Puts out between 3 and 5 psi and no regulator is needed. I have the pump mounted inside the frame rail opposite and below the carburetor. kenp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump.JPG (238.1 KB, 45 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
eagle

Without lecturing the OP, a simple low pressure fuel pump off of Ebay with a T at the carb and a return line will supply the stock carb with fuel. I bought one for another project and it will run slow but still pumps OK on 6 volt. Will work on positive ground as well due to isolated chassis. I think this is the one, do your own research: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electri...8HHs:rk:3:pf:0
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
mike657894

I only brought it up as i saw a death of a couple related to the tank ripping and the fuel catching fire. not exploding. On this forum. within the three years I have owned the car. I dont check daily. thought it might be a concern if I seen it when I look rarely and Ive only owned the car for 3% of its time on this earth. I will try to locate this post.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #17
mike657894

also modern fuel cells are made to contain the fuel even when inverted. And as a child going over the salzburg bridge over i-75 there was this nasty burn mark if you looked out towards the north where a man and his girlfriend burned up in a 70s trans am.

Last edited by mike657894; 02-25-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #18
mike657894

heres an article about a man and wife killed in there model A. It might have been the poster who claimed it was the steering column ripped from the tank. I think this is the couple referred to as they hit a tree and i remmebred that part. But Im not sure and I will keep looking to see if I can confirm that. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...901-story.html
Old 02-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
mike657894

here is a thread about the fire. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...mple+fire+tree
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
mike657894

here is another thread about that fire. https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177160