Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #61
Gene F

Default Re: Do you drive your A in the snow or stormy weather?

Benson, thank you for taking your turn we all salute you Sir! I was not quite old enough, but I recall watching the evening news, and thinking "if they don't hurry up and get this Sh%t wrapped up, I'm gonna have to go".

My uncle was a medic, he said 3 of them out of his 49 guy unit got on the plane to come home after their +/- year. Three, as in 3 !!!!!!!!

I can only imagine. Benson, God bless you, and everyone you served with.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #62
Gene F

OK, I see a couple of mentions of chains. The old timers I talk to are positive that a full set of chains is 3, not 4. So where would I get a set of chains? Someone must offer new sets, right?
Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #63
Gene F

That youtube vid is pretty cool. I think your car with the tracks on the back, and the tires remaining on the front would be the practical way to go.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #64
BakesJr

Can't pass up a drive on a calm peaceful winter day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181208_121538.jpg (38.9 KB, 69 views)
BakesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #65
hootchmonster

20160219_114357.jpg
My son had a day off of school, so we went fishing.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #66
1930artdeco

Drove my Townsedan in the rain once-and only once! It leaked so badly that my GF's daughter was in the back using paper towels to soak up water. Hopefully dad never finds out that I did that.......

Mike
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #67
dwollam

Drove my '31 Coupe in the snow yesterday to our weekly cruise nite gathering at A&W/KFC. Hiway was pretty clear but driveway and side roads were packed snow.

Dave
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #68
Osage Orange

When I was in college back in '68-69 and driving my '29 A coupe daily, yes, I was out in all kinds of weather, including heavy snow. Non-pressurized radiator and a simple heater core with a fan never warmed the cab enough to notice on most winter days. I dressed for the weather, and the electric windshield wiper worked fine in everything but freezing rain.
Osage Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #69
Brian in Wheeling

Beet juice. Check it out.
Nrian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #70
al's28/33

I got my Phaeton from the VOLO Auto Museum in Illinois and actually flew there to view the car before purchasing. It was December 2000 and they had just received a 2 inch dusting of snow the week before.

When test driving her for the first time, we went down a side road that had no prior traffic and I was going about 25 mph as the mechanic was giving me pointers about the workings of the Model "A". By the time we both realized we were almost out of road (it was a cul-de-sac) I turned the wheel and we spun around in a 360. He made me sit in the passenger seat on the ride back and needless to say I have been enjoying my "A" ever since, but that was the only time driving in the snow. For safety reasons I do not take it out when the roads are wet, there are too many NUTSOS on the road in normal dry sunny conditions.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #71
holdover

Lived in NY before I moved to VA in 1975. The roads up in NY were salted to the extreme. Here living in the Mtns of the Blue Ridge they pre-treat the roads with a brine solution before the ice and snow falls, then follow up with salt. I do not take my As out when there is any chance of salt getting on them. When the weather clears and we have a few rain falls to wash the salt off the road, then they come out to play.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #72
DHZIEMAN

Once my roof integrity is improved, I will have no problem driving in bad weather! Don't want to chance messing up the interior! Ther person I bought the car from did a great job or had someone else do the interior, but they should have started with the Roof! It just looks bad! Roof replacement is planned for this summer, when good and hot here in Missouri so I can get it stretched and nailed properly!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #73
AL in NY

I won't take my truck out if it's raining, but if I'm out and it starts raining, I don't have any problem driving it home in the rain. As for snow, no way....
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #74
Dick Steinkamp

We don't get much snow here in Western Washington, but the A doesn't mind it a bit (I think it snowed back in the 1930's also ). The Autolite manifold heater keeps things toasty warm inside. The biggest drawback is that I have to roll down the window every time I signal a turn...

I was going to school in Eastern Washington in 1966 and took my first A over Snoqualmie pass in the middle of winter. I had a manifold heater on it but no door to control the amount of heat. The heat was driving us out of the car. My partner put one of his books over the hole and held it with his foot. It caught the book on fire! . It was snowing pretty hard also. We were passed quite often, but many times saw those same cars in the ditch a little later down the road. The A had no trouble in the snow.

One time in Ellensburg, however, I did put it a little off the road in the snow/ice. I put it in first gear, let the clutch out, advanced the throttle a little, and jumped out and pushed. I did catch up to it before it went in the ditch again.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #75
barnstuf

When I returned home after WWII the first thing did was get my 1930 Coupe out of storage and it became my daily driver for quite a few years. I put about 8 cement blocks on the rumble seat floor to give me good traction from their weight. Even although I did not have knobby tires I could drive on unplowed roads as long as the snow depth was not more than 2 or 3 inches over the front bumper height. I used to blast through drifts but one day tackled one higher than the radiator, was half way through when I could go no further, and with the extra weight I easily backed out. Even after the Coupe became a second car in the 1950's it remained the winter driver until it was repainted and reupholstered in the early 1990's. Since then it has not been driven in the winter.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #76
rogerkb1936

I had been in wa state (greater seattle area) 3 0r 4 years when we had a much deeper than average snow storm. 16" behind garage door. I really needed to go to store. there was no chance my newer 2 wd pickup was getting out. there is a sizable rise out of driveway to road. sometime before that I had bought a bunch of "A" stuff. in it was a couple 19' wheels with old snowmobile tires mounted. these were made by a co in Wisconsin, arp I think. these had a heavy crossways lug about every 4 ', to fit between the pads on tracks to prevent spinning. I looked at these, and my 31 roadster and gave a resounding "hmmm". so I mounted these wheels on car, and opened garage door. that car dug two trenches out of shop, with snow and dirt flying. it clawed its way up the driveway and onto road. down the road at 30 mph, with people looking at an old roadster out at nite in a snowstorm. I got to the store and back without incident, and sold the tires for $100 a piece
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #77
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
We don't get much snow here in Western Washington, but the A doesn't mind it a bit (I think it snowed back in the 1930's also ). The Autolite manifold heater keeps things toasty warm inside. The biggest drawback is that I have to roll down the window every time I signal a turn...

I was going to school in Eastern Washington in 1966 and took my first A over Snoqualmie pass in the middle of winter. I had a manifold heater on it but no door to control the amount of heat. The heat was driving us out of the car. My partner put one of his books over the hole and held it with his foot. It caught the book on fire! . It was snowing pretty hard also. We were passed quite often, but many times saw those same cars in the ditch a little later down the road. The A had no trouble in the snow.

One time in Ellensburg, however, I did put it a little off the road in the snow/ice. I put it in first gear, let the clutch out, advanced the throttle a little, and jumped out and pushed. I did catch up to it before it went in the ditch again.

That is a good looking tudor . I also run Insa tires on my roadster and just love them . I feel that Insa tires may last forever like Allstate tires do .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #78
V4F

yep , daily driver year round
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #79
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
That is a good looking tudor . I also run Insa tires on my roadster and just love them . I feel that Insa tires may last forever like Allstate tires do .

Thanks, Purdy.

The tires are actual Universal brand from Coker, but there are probably other brands out of the same mold from the same factory.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #80
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Talking Re: Do you drive your A in the snow or stormy weather?

Why not.

#2 snow tudor.jpg

back view snow.jpg
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote