Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #21
Fred A

Default Re: '40 Ford rear housing assembly

There are so many threads like this one where a component that can hardly be given away in one part of the Ford Barn world and is worth a questionable repair in another place. I've been dragging rear axle parts around for too long and seems that it's clearly not worth the work. At Turlock I took some bells and radius rods to the trashcan. Luckily some ambitious soul took a few of the bulky pieces, but the pieces that had some rust were still there when the event ended. In the process of fixing up these old cars many of us end up with actual tons of those leftover pieces and engines with no future. At some age a guy can no longer be the custodian of so much stuff. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Fred, sad but true. If you want something it is difficult to find and expensive. If you have stuff it is often impossible to give it away! Hard to do, but sometimes it just has to go.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Automotive Stud

That's the truth. Last year I needed a pair of '40 axle tubes. I was lucky to find a set that wasn't too pitted outside and had clean bearing surfaces for a decent price. By the time I got them in the mail one of them the factory weld had cracked from rough transit. Fortunately fedex was able to give me a partial refund and I was able to clamp the tube tight and reweld it. I was lucky someone saved them and I didn't have to buy a whole rear just for the axle tubes.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote