Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #21
P.S.

Default Re: Model B Steam Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The silicone failed. See the origin of the rust paths.

As for antifreeze, I use Barr's Stop Leak which is a water soluble oil with stop leak pellets. Barr's also lubricates the water pump.
Bob,

Looking at your picture, on the very top and between #1 and #2, it says, "THIS SIDE UP". Yet, clearly, we are looking at the head turned over. Therefore, it appears your head gasket was installed upside down.

Not saying that is what caused the failure. The composite gaskets had a bad production run or something. I have had one fail that was installed properly. Sticking with stock copper gaskets on all my A's from now on.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

The main reason that I avoided the composite head gasket was because the word was that they sealed so well that they were very difficult to remove and that was withouy any sealer of any kind .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
wensum

I've got the black gasket with the red silicone beading and theoretically have made the mistake of torqueing to 65 ft lbs, this under a 7:1 alloy head.
So far, 10,000 miles later and boiling a few times when I forgot to switch on the electric fan in heavy traffic, there has been no head gasket issues.
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #24
gustafson
BANNED

"Snyders's has the copper B gasket. Part number B-6051-X"

and they have had it for many years
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
Purdy Swoft

I use the copper clad B head gasket on the engine that I run a model B head on and have had no problem in over 20 years with this gasket . The sealer is more than likely the reason that some composition B casket failed to seal for some .
Old 08-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #26
john in illinois

I also like Best gaskets. They have a graftite and a copper. Both have excellent reputations. I use the graphtite with copper coat spray as they reccomend.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/b-head-gasket

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I used the Felpro copper clad head gaskets that Larry Brumfield recommended . After all most of the head gaskets were used with his heads. Never a problem .
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Not that it matters, but remember those embossed TIN gaskets, coated with a "varnish" that we used on domestics?? We just torqued them ONCE & shot them DOWN the ROAD & they RARELY failed.
There's always the question, "Did the head gasket blow & cause overheating OR did it overheat & cause the gasket to BLOW"???---ONLY the SHADOW knows, FO' SHO"---
Bill Old
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Not that it matters, but remember those embossed TIN gaskets, coated with a "varnish" that we used on domestics?? We just torqued them ONCE & shot them DOWN the ROAD & they RARELY failed.
There's always the question, "Did the head gasket blow & cause overheating OR did it overheat & cause the gasket to BLOW"???---ONLY the SHADOW knows, FO' SHO"---
Bill Old

You nailed it once again, those tin gaskets didn't look like much but they sure did the job!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
You nailed it once again, those tin gaskets didn't look like much but they sure did the job!
I once got stuck with a Lincoln, with a re-occuring leak problem. "Someone" had coated the gaskets, with something like GORILLA-GLUE! I almost NEVER got the heads off! In the end, "someone" had overlooked a cracked L/H head!Bill W.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 AM   #31
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Lesson learned: Do not use the composition head gasket with the integrated red silicone sealer!

Cruising along at 55 MPH, the Model B engine in my 1931 Coupe started running poorly. The spark plugs in Cylinders 1 & 2 were dripping wet with water. A compression check revealed 1/75PSOG, 2/66PISG, 3/72PSIG & 4/73PSIG with a stock Model B head.

My Coupe sat idle for almost 2 years with coolant, and it was on its first run out of hibernation when the problem occurred. Before venturing out, I topped-off the coolant by adding a gallon of water. I attributed the low water level to evaporation. WRONG!

The head gasket is a black composition job with red silicone sealer integral with the gasket. Rust trails indicate the gasket sealer failed at the large coolant hole just outboard of the distributor.

I run my Model A's 50 to 60 MPH. What are the best head gaskets available these days?
I never use these gaskets unless the customer wants it. There are 2 reasons for this, one the composit gasket is more expensive and the other is, the composit is not designed for the broach cut head and block so, it fails more often than the copper.I ALWAYS use the copper Best gasket or a Fel-Pro gasket. I figure, if the customer wants to destroy the engine, he can put one of these junk gaskets on him/herself. I have never had one that didn't fail in short order. If I am going to warranty an engine,I need to use parts that I have full confidence in.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote