Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Ron/IA

Default Re: How do YOU do it?

In Iowa, all cars are registered as an automobile no matter what the year. You have a title and registration, and as of this year (I think); there is no license plate in Iowa that is less than $50. Before that my A plate cost $10.50. If I remember correctly, it was always that cost ever sinced I have owned it.

You can get an antique plate for $5.00, and they are available from the county courthouse; but they can only be displayed during parades and exibitions.

YOM plates are considered specialized or personlized plates; which cost an extra $60.00 the first year, and $15 each year after above the license cost.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
Patrick L.

Its kinda strange how each state handles this issue.. It appears that this is one thing that New York actually does well.. They allow YOM plates [ yep, 2] and use a windshield sticker rather than a plate sticker.. I guess the down side is that you end up with 2 stickers [ reg and inspection] in the lower left corner,but, we're all used to that..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Freddie (Memphis)

No annual stickers here in Tennessee. Once you are granted an Antique plate...it's good for as long as you own the car. Any subsequent owner must reapply for the antique status, though. I live in the county, too, so no city inspection either.

Also...the law says you must only drive an antique car to "...club meetings, shows, parades, or for mechanical repair purposes..."...or words to that effect. You're not "supposed" to use antiques for daily transportation. I've never been stopped and I drive "Jippy" to work all the time. Just to be safe, however, I always carry a small piece of radiator hose with me and should I get pulled over...

"Officer, I was on my way to the parts store to match this piece of radiator hose! Honest, I was...!"

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!

Last edited by Freddie (Memphis); 06-07-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
Frank Nemo

In the state of Illinois the law requires either an "Antique Auto Plate" which supposedly restricts your driving to club events, shows, or heading for repairs and parts or a regular plate that has no driving restrictions. The law also states that you can use YOM plates as long as you carry in your vehicle plates with the current tag as well as current registration. I have never been stopped or questioned by an officer and did have the County Sheriff spend a lot of time admiring my car prior to a prade.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #25
Grampy

Barry in St Paul, and everyone else,

I'm not positive of all the specifics and special charges around the different type plates one can use in CA, but my understanding is that there are several over-priced ways a person can approach licensing a vehicle.

1. Normal registration - costs a bunch each and every year; my Ram is about $198 and my wife's Rodeo is about $166. Every other year you are required to have a SMOG Certification which costs about another $40. You're required to have two plates and the rear plate has two stickers, one for the month of registration and the other is the annual sticker (see Model A Man's post).

2. Vanity plates - Same as above but with an additional privilege charge, I think it's $25 or $50 and I think it's each year. Don't know, never had 'em - too involved paying state taxes, generally high cost of everything, and various other privileges!

3. Historical vehicle plates - same as #1, but the fee is $150. I think it's one time and I don't know about the annual fees.

4. YOM and about a dozen other types of plates, all of which DMV charges a premium.

All of these "special plates" are replacements for, and function the same as, regular plates without limits or restrictions on driving privilege.

I'm not an expert in this matter, nor do I have extensive experience with the different plate types. I've always had regular plates until now. My experience with DMV leads me to believe that the rules governing much of this depends on who you're talking to at the time and which phase the moon is in!

Any one with more in depth experience is welcome to correct me and inform us all - I'm always willing to learn.
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #26
Brentwood Bob

I'm working on this guy's huckster, has a modern plate on the front, and a historical vehicle plate on rear with no tags on either. I need to check with calif dept of motor vehicles to see if the vehicle is legal. for now I am just making short test drives. I was told that It needs annual tags even with the historical vehicle plate. Anyone know the answer?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
I'm working on this guy's huckster, has a modern plate on the front, and a historical vehicle plate on rear with no tags on either. I need to check with calif dept of motor vehicles to see if the vehicle is legal. for now I am just making short test drives. I was told that It needs annual tags even with the historical vehicle plate. Anyone know the answer?
Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.
(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.
(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.
(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".
The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".
Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.
(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.
(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.
(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.
(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #28
Glen in Hillman MI

In Michigan it's A one time $30.00 charge without any stickers and your good to go forever. (With period plates))
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #29
Rowdy
BANNED

Running without the sticker attached would be considered fictisious plates here. Beings I do not have time to spend in jail or money to pay the fine I would attach them. Rod
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
dcline3037

That's why I love North Dakota! Easiest car I ever registered in any state. I have YOM-(I can display 1 or both)-they don't care....
$10 one-time fee, no stickers, ever. Had to show that my YOM plates were presentable in appearance and then they registered them to me....no driving restrictions either.
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
Brentwood Bob

Seems to say that I don't need the stickers, or that an annual fee is paid, that it is legal to run the way it is. Thanks, Bob.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #32
HoarseWhisperer

YOM is available in Ontario. For the privilege, you send $280 to the MTO for inspection, and if approved, you have the privilege of renewing annually for $74.

In Wisconsin you can display YOM (with "Antique" plates in the car), but are restricted for events, parades, etc. Or you can opt for Wisconsin red over blue "Collector" plates at a one time fee of $200 (no annual renewal). These stick out like a sore thumb.

I really liked the 1931 Wisconsin YOM, because it was pretty close to the Washington Blue & Tacoma Cream of my vehicle.
Looks better without the gawdy Stone Guard.

HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote