Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
TJMack

Default Leaking Zenith Carburetor

I’m new to Model A’s. The one I have now is the first one I’ve ever owned. But I’m not new to carburetors. I’ve worked on them since the late 50’s when I took apart my family’s first power mower, an 18” Roto Rugg.

Over the many years I’ve also worked on carbs from numerous cars, trucks, a few tractors, outboard motors, chain saws, etc, a Chris Craft inboard, even my airplane. But I have to admit this “simple” Zenith on my Model A has caused me more agony than any other I can remember.

I’ll also admit that I never bothered to learn all the theory of operation and detailed workings of a carburetor. I only needed the basic understanding of what did what, and what to do when it didn’t. This usually amounted to cleaning, or at most changing, the float valve (we always called it the needle-and-seat) and making sure the float actually floated. Along with a good cleaning and new gaskets, and I was usually back in business.

Not so with this Zenith. As it turns out, it should have been, but I spent hours chasing my tail on the damn thing.

My first thought was to clean the float valve and make sure the float wasn’t taking on gas. The float valve is one that doesn’t come apart, so cleaning it was a blind operation. Shaking the float I couldn’t hear any sloshing, and actually trying it in both water and gas verified that it, in fact, did float.

Upon reassembly the leak persisted. It took me quite a while to even figure out where the gas was coming out. To make a long story as short as possible, after more attempts at cleaning the valve, I finally figured out that it was coming out the main jet and the cap jet into the throat of the carb.

Now, anyone who has messed around with these has also figured out that the level of gas in the reservoir is critical. That’s because if it’s too high it will leak out the main jet and the cap jet as mentioned above. I found this by taking the bottom of the carb off and slowly adding gas to the reservoir to it to see where it was coming from into the throat. Nothing happened until the level of gas got almost to the top of the reservoir and then out it came. A quick observation showed that the fuel in the reservoir was now above the level of the main and cap jets. As soon as it got below that level the flow stopped.

This may seem obvious, but until you actually do this check, it’s not at all obvious, and hard to see with the carb assembled. You can’t see the fuel level in the reservoir.

Since we all know that the level of gas in the reservoir is controlled by the float valve and the float, I was back to the original thoughts that one of them must be bad. I ordered a new float valve and a new float even though I couldn’t find anything wrong with the old ones, which at some time had already been changed by a previous owner.

Upon installation of the new parts I was hopeful that the problem was solved. Not so. The new float valve leaked as bad as the old one. The float was obviously a waste of money. So was the float valve.

The interesting part of all this is that I reinstalled the old parts and for now at least, it isn’t leaking. I don’t know if I really learned anything new, but it kept me out of the bars, as my Mother used to say. It did verify that not all that is new is necessarily better.

For some reason I hadn’t even thought to check on-line to see if anyone had similar experiences. This is what led me back to the Ford Barn. I had actually signed up for it last year a couple months after I bought the car, but honestly forgot all about it. Dumb, I know, but like lots of people my age I suffer from CRS.

I have since found an EXCELLENT, well written article written by Tom Endy that would have steered me in the right direction if I had only seen it earlier. I do intend to spend some time on the carb when the car sets idle in Florida for the summer. Thanks to that article I feel confident that I can improve it.

One question I have, though. Does a Model A tend to leak if it’s parked on a hill? It seems as though it must if the car is facing up hill. That could place the level of the jets below the fuel level in the reservoir and allow it to leak out which would lower the float and allow more fuel to flow in. Eventually this could drain the tank, I suppose.

I can see why it’s so important to close the shut-off valve under the tank whenever the car is not running.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Leaking Zenith Carburetor

Did you check and/or adjust the float level to spec? Or slightly under.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Sparky

A float level gauge is a handy diagnostic tool to have. It's only a few bucks, and all the Model A suppliers have them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gauge.jpg (12.2 KB, 50 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Welcome to The Barn TJ.

Edit: After re-reading your post, the following may not pertain. I thought you were asking about the carb leaking when sitting. Sounds like yours is leaking when running?? I left my incorrect response because it may help someone with the problem I described. Good luck...

I know this sounds off the wall but check the Tank Shut Off Valve for seepage. I have found that if it seeps just a little there is not enough head pressure to keep the float needle valve seated and the carb will dribble out the hole in the bottom of the throat.

With the Tank Shut Off Valve closed try disconnecting the gas line at the carb and put a pan under it to catch any gas. Empty the pan and place it again under the gas line and let it sit overnight. In the morning if it has a little gas in it, the Tank Shut Off Valve is seeping.

I fear this is one of the reasons you see people install a second valve in the gas line.

Good luck.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-20-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
TJMack

Katy, yes, I checked the float level numerous times, and did try setting it lower. Even that didn’t work. I knew what was causing the leak, the float valve not holding, but I couldn’t figure out why. It was driving me crazy.

Yblockhead, it was leaking with the engine off, and I presume it leaked with it running as well. So your idea of the shut off valve being the culprit is an EXCELLENT theory!

During one of my numerous think sessions while staring at the split carb, I actually had a thought that maybe it was related to the head created by the gas in the tank, but my idea was diametrically opposed to yours. I was wondering if, for some reason, the valve was not able to hold the head. I quickly dismissed the idea after thinking of the fuel pressure generated by a working fuel pump.

The reason I especially like your theory is the fact that my shut-off valve was in fact leaking a little. I knew this and had one on order, but they were back-ordered so I was left with time to dream up all sorts of solutions for the leak while I waited for it to come.

I never thought it would solve the float leaking problem but I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. I usually know better than to change two things at the same time when trying to diagnose a problem. I violated that rule on this. The shut-off valve came in the same shipment with the new float valve and float. Not thinking that the shut-off valve might be the root cause, I went ahead and put in the new one, and then installed the new float valve and float before trying it.

As I mentioned earlier, the stupid thing still leaked when I got done, but I unfortunately at this time can’t remember if I tried it with the shut-off valve closed. The frustration level had risen quite a bit.

For the hell of it, I decided to put back the original float and float valve and give it a try. When I did, all was well again. The new float valve must be defective or just have something in it. But you can imagine how that messed with my mind.

So it looks like you deserve one at-a-boy. Your theory is most ingenious and thoughtful, and most likely the answer that I’ve been looking for. I’d like to buy you a beer!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
michael a

I thought about it too will you buy me a beer also

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
michael a

After my silly response I was thinking what a wonderful thread this was. These new aftermarket parts will make you want to crap in your hands and smear it in your hair.

michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
Dutie

Hello T J ,
Y Blockhead was right on the money. I had the same issue with the zenith leaking nanno amounts past the float valve. The firewall valve on my 31 roadster leaked enough to pressure it through the float valve. Put in a new one with the new viton seat and it still leaked. Finally I installed a positive in line shutoff and my issue was over. Been four years now and no issues at all and yes it will leak as you say when you face it uphill and park it. Just remember to shut the in line off and you're all set. Think my in line came from Brattons for about 50.00 Good luck Dutie
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
1930 coupe

I check float valves by blowing on them with my mouth. You should not be able to get any air through the valve with light finger pressure on the needle.
Then I install the valve and float on the housing and turn it upside down and blow in the fuel inlet with my mouth. With just the weight of the float on the needle, you should not be able to get any air through it. If the gasket surface on the housing has rust pits, you might get some leakage between the gasket and the housing. This can be corrected with a small amount of permatex on the gasket.
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Gary WA

Site Index (Model-A.org)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Gary WA

Use the above link for more info , and Thank you to the originator of link.!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
TinCup

Great write up here. Tom's articles are always on point and early on I relied on them when starting on carbs. Sounds like you are on target and their have been some good suggestions already posted. I will just add that I too like the Viton tipped float valves that have been changed to work with alcohol gas. One thing I have found from time to time is that if the vent on the gas cap is plugged the tank will pressure up and force gas through the main cutoff valve which almost always leak some. Do they all leak? No but a great many do due to faulty setup and parts. Keep at it and let us know the conclusion.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
TJMack

Addendum: The saga continues. All is not as well as I thought. There’s still a leak. The new tank valve did stop the leak when it is turned off, but not when it’s left on. At least I’m seeing some progress. J

This afternoon I left the tank valve on when I got done with my drive just to verify that the leak stopped. At first there was no leak. I didn’t check it for a few hours, but when I finally did, there it was, the infuriating drip out the throat of the carb.

Tomorrow I’m going to try a few things, one at a time. The first is I’m going to split the carb and then dry the area around the float valve real well by spraying it with brake cleaner and let it evaporate.

Then I’ll hook up the gas line to the upper half and invert it so that the float valve is closed by the weight of the float. I’ll turn on the tank valve then inspect the carb for any indication of where the gas comes out, if it does.

Hopefully this will give me a lead on what needs fixin’. I’ve already looked for cracks in the casting, but they could probably be so small that the eye can’t see them. When I changed the float valve I inspected the casting where the gasket goes and it looked OK, no major pits. So I don’t know what to expect.

If this experiment turns up nothing I’m going to expand on Yblockhead’s theory. I noticed that my fuel line is slightly kinked. Maybe this is reducing the head pressure to where it’s not enough to maintain the fuel level. I KNOW…. It’s a reach but I’m getting desperate.

Another thing, other than Yblockhead’s theory, that makes me suspect of the fuel line is the fact that the see-through fuel filter I have just in front of the carb inlet quite often looks empty even with the engine running fine. It seems that once the float valve opens the filter should fill with gas before the carb reservoir.

To further complicate this mess is the fact that I’ve had trouble with the condenser overheating. That’s another long story for a different thread, but I fixed that with a heat shield that I made and put under the distributor.

The reason that this may be germane to the conversation is that in testing my heat shield I let the car idle for 10 minutes or more after a good warm-up to test the effectiveness of the heat shield.. Before the heat shield I couldn’t get it to run for more than a few minutes if I stopped and let it idle. As it sat there idling I was watching the fuel filter. It always looked empty, but I could see a very faint trickle of gas passing through if I looked real close..

It finally did stop running, but I thought it ran out of gas by the way it stopped. I carefully took out the drain plug in the bottom of the carb and sure enough, nothing came out.

I still haven’t figured this one out but I’m thinking Yblockhead’s theory might be in play.

1930 Coupe, one of the first things I did was the blow test. It suggested that everything was OK. I’d like to have my vacuum tester that I have up in New York down here in Florida. It would be more conclusive I think.

Gary Wa, thank you for that link. That looks very interesting. I'll have to spend some time there;.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
TJMack

Sparky, I really like that fuel level gauge. I'm going to make one if I can find the right fitting for the drain port. If not I'll buy one the next time I order some parts. thank you for posting.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
1930 coupe

You will need to drill a hole in a drain plug, then cut the threads off a tubing connector and solder them together to make your fitting.
Also if the cast iron seat area under the jets is pitted, you can get seepage from under the jet gaskets. A little pertamex on the gaskets will fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg float level 01.jpg (232.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg float level 02.jpg (249.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg float level 03.jpg (234.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg sight glass.jpg (199.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #16
johnbuckley

I have across several brand new float valves that leak, no matter what type... conventional, or ball,or viton tipped... I now test them all before fitting. It is so fustrating to fit a new part and find it's defective.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
redmodelt

Biggest issue with all most all the needle type seats is you cant take the needle out easily to inspect. If the point is not polished correctly there is no way to get them to seal. I know that was an issue with Model T valves for a while. Sometimes little bit of brass is still in the seat area from machining, if those are not removed, same thing. Other thing you could try is tapping the needle lightly to seat it.
You may or may not know; to adjust the float, you add shims under the needle valve not bend it.
Also, there were some main jets on the market back some time ago that were a little on the short side.
Do you have the gasket installed under the jets?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
TinCup

Try repeating the test and leave the gas cap off.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
I thought about it too will you buy me a beer also

Ya, well I thought about it before you, so I get the beer.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

Re-ck the float height.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
TJMack

Well, I spent most of the afternoon experimenting. I gave a lot of thought to the head pressure theories that Yblockhead proposed, and my opposite version of it and have concluded that neither of them probably holds water. (Pun intended)

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, we’re talking about the pressure generated by a column of liquid; called the “head” here. Not the pressure on my brain from all the frustration.

It shouldn’t make any difference how low the pressure is trying to push fuel into the reservoir, or how high either for that matter as long as it isn’t high enough to overcome the leverage provided by the float on the float valve. Low pressure will just make it take longer to reach the point where the float has enough leverage to close the valve. But it will eventually get there if there isn't a leak.

This is just like a toilet tank. Probably everyone has had a toilet valve that would hiss as the water gets near the point where it shuts off. This is from the valve being almost closed until the leverage of the tank ball floating pushes up hard enough to stop the water flow entirely. If the valve is bad enough the water level will continue to rise to the overflow height and just keep running water into the bowl. Often this isn’t discovered for quite some time because it doesn’t make any noises. A high water bill is sometimes the first clue.

So today I tried a few things trying to find why the valve won’t shut off. I split the carb then took the top half and cleaned it with brake cleaner so that it would dry completely to assist me in finding any leak. I then hooked up the fuel line and put the carb half upside down with the float resting on the float valve. I turned on the fuel valve and watched. No leak.

I then tried it with the float taken out. It still didn’t leak. That verified for me that the float valve that I was using was most likely OK. But when I reassemble the carb with the float level set as prescribed (5/8” to top side of float when inverted which is the same as 1” to the seam) it still leaked.

I went through a number of other fruitless gyrations including lightly grinding the inside surface of the bowl in case there was a bump catching the float. I knew this was silly, but I wanted to remove all doubt.

I took the new float valve apart and cleaned it and retried it. Still leaked.

So, like a leaky toilet, the flow will only stop if the valve gets closed before the overflow height is reached. In the case of the carb this is the height of the jets, as we discussed earlier.

I had tried lowering the height of the float before when I first started messing with this leak but it didn’t work then. But I decided to try I t again since I knew that I had to get the level of gas in the reservoir below the tips of the jets.

I added another washer to the old jet, making a total of three, and gave it a try. So far it appears to be working. Time will tell.

I’m going to make that fuel level gage that someone suggested and see where the level actually is.

Tin Cup suggested trying it with the gas cap off. I failed to mention in all these dissertations that I had already checked that. I can see right through the hole in the cap. I know I should have a gasket in there to reduce the smell of gas when the windshield is open, but I never think of it.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #22
1930 coupe

When Ford made new floats back in the day, they all weighed 31 grams.
If you look at original Ford floats you will notice that some of them have round brass weights on top of them to make them weigh 31 grams. Some reproduction floats are one or two grams too heavy or too light. This can change the fuel level 1/4" or more up or down. So when using old or reproduction floats, just measuring the float height does not always work.
The only way to know what your fuel level is, you must use a sight glass. I run the engine and watch the sight glass, and keep watching the sight glass for several hours after the engine is shut off.
Over choking when starting the engine will make gas run out of your carb onto the floor, even carbs that have no leaks.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 PM   #23
daveymc29

My model A'a revolt at the idea of a fuel filter in the feed line. They all seem to operate better after I put the little pencil filter in the shutoff valve and replaced the screen filter on the sight bowl on the firewall, but out of frustration I got towed home once when I couldn't get gas to the carb in a busy intersection. Once home I completely removed the in line filter, though gas freely flowed through it if I took the bottom connection off of it. Seems strange to me but even when I took the carb connection off not enough gas came through to keep the car running, Brand new filter gave exactly the same result. I just don't use them any more and have very few problems related to gas.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #24
TJMack

1930 Coupe, you must be clairvoyant. I was lying in bed this morning before getting up thinking about why adding a washer to the float valve worked this time when I tried it. I was wondering if anyone had ever compared the weight of original floats to replacement floats.

A heavier float would sure explain why the fuel level in the reservoir could be too high allowing it to run out the jets. I was going to take my two floats to the post office to se if they would weigh them for me, but I'm not sure either one of them is an original.

Thank you for posting that info.

Daveymc29, that's very interesting info as well. I have the finger filter in the shut-off valve, and I think I have the screen in the sediment bulb (I can't remember for sure) but I do see some ultra fines in the see-through in-line filter. They're probably small enough to pass through the jets, but the holes in those jets are sure small.

I don't understand why the in-line filter doesn't fill up when the float valve opens allowing fuel to flow. Often when I look it is completely empty with the engine running just fine. I've tried to get it positioned so the fuel has to run up hill to the carb. That does seem to help.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #25
1930 coupe

Most original floats will have a Z or a H stamped on the hinge.
Some reproduction floats are lighter than 31 grams because they are made from thinner brass. The picture shows the weight added at the factory to some of the floats. It is unusual for a float to be too heavy, unless it has excess solder on it or has some gas inside it. Make your sight glass then you will not be guessing.
I am not clairvoyant, just 45 years of doing research and working on model A's
A lot of people will tell you that a Zenith carb is no good and you need to get a different kind of carb. This is not true, a Zenith carb runs and idles very good if PROPERLY RESTORED, the problem is very few people have the skills to properly restore a Zenith carb so they get a bad rap.
Also some very old floats can have a dimple wore in it from rubbing on the needle valve, this dimple can cause it to stick sometimes and over fill with gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg float (2).jpg (217.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
Tom Endy

As in the above post, the weight of the float is an important consideration. The first photo shows an original Holly, and it is right on 31 grams.

the second photo shows a reproduction from Snyder's and it is a gram too heavy. This should not be a problem if you use a glass to view where the float level is set. I have a test stand I use to set float levels on a Zenith. My experience has been that the little sight gauge that screws into the drain boss does not work very well.

The third photo shows the digital scale I use. They are not expensive, I bought this one on-line.

The fourth photo shows a float that will give you grief. Since the crack is at the top the float level can be set, but as you drive the car and fuel splashes around it will slowly fill the float and it will sink and flood the carburetor.

I had this float in a Zenith on a 29 coupe I had. I had been driving the car one afternoon with no problem and parked in in the garage and shut off the fuel valve. The next morning I turned the valve on and tried to start the car and it would not start and I smelled gas and found it was pouring out on the garage floor.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg float-2.jpg (65.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg float-3.jpg (79.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg float-4.jpg (66.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg float-1.jpg (92.6 KB, 51 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
Fred K-OR

Did you check to be sure you had a washer on your main jet and your cap jet? If you do not have them, then the gas will seep out from around them and run out the bottom of the carb. The way to check for leaks on these jets is to take the carb apart and fill the bottom bowl with gas up to the top of the jets and let it stand for a day or so. If it is leaking around the jets, you will see gas in the bottom of the carb. I had a carb where one of the jets threads were stripped and it leaked gas. Another theory!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #28
TJMack

Tom Endy, I saw your glass test stand in that excellent article you did on rebuilding the Zenith carb. I'm going to give the easy clear tubing rig a try to see what the fuel level looks like in the actual carb. I'll also give the glass jar test a try.

Thank you for posting that article. I intend to go through the carb fully this summer when the car sits idle while I'm in New York State. With that in hand I feel confident I can do a good job.

Fred K -Or, yes, I'm sure of the gaskets under the jets. One of the first things I did was put in new gaskets and check for leaks like you described. That is great advise for anyone having similar problems.

I sure appreciate all the input I've gotten on this subject! It has been frustrating, but intriguing at the same time.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #29
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMack View Post
Tom Endy, I saw your glass test stand in that excellent article you did on rebuilding the Zenith carb. I'm going to give the easy clear tubing rig a try to see what the fuel level looks like in the actual carb. I'll also give the glass jar test a try.

Thank you for posting that article. I intend to go through the carb fully this summer when the car sits idle while I'm in New York State. With that in hand I feel confident I can do a good job.

Fred K -Or, yes, I'm sure of the gaskets under the jets. One of the first things I did was put in new gaskets and check for leaks like you described. That is great advise for anyone having similar problems.

I sure appreciate all the input I've gotten on this subject! It has been frustrating, but intriguing at the same time.

My experience with that little sight gauge tube the vendors sell was that no matter how many gaskets I added or subtracted the fuel level in the tube stayed the same. That was why I built the stand.

If you don't want to go to the trouble to build a stand, an idea is to find a glass jar that can be attached with a large rubber band while on the car in place of the lower casting. I think it would be a more accurate reading.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #30
1930 coupe

I have never used the sight gauge that the vendors sell, the home made one that I show above works very good. If you add gaskets it will show a different fuel level, when you start the engine it will go down a very small amount then quickly go back up. When the engine is reved up the fuel level goes down a small mount, and when it returns to idle it comes back up. When the engine is turned off the fuel level goes up slightly. It seems that the fuel level is about 1/16" lower with the engine running than when the engine is off.
I do not know why the ones sold by the vendors do not work properly, mine might have a larger diameter tube and is not affected by capillary action like a small tube, just guessing.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #31
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I have never used the sight gauge that the vendors sell, the home made one that I show above works very good. If you add gaskets it will show a different fuel level, when you start the engine it will go down a very small amount then quickly go back up. When the engine is reved up the fuel level goes down a small mount, and when it returns to idle it comes back up. When the engine is turned off the fuel level goes up slightly. It seems that the fuel level is about 1/16" lower with the engine running than when the engine is off.
I do not know why the ones sold by the vendors do not work properly, mine might have a larger diameter tube and is not affected by capillary action like a small tube, just guessing.
I found the same problem with the capillary action of the smaller diameter tubes in the most common gauges being sold.

My solution was to make one with a tube that is about 3-4 times larger.

The last I heard was that Dave Renner was selling the larger diameter models on his website called Renners Corner.

I will have to dig out that gauge that I made ... if I can find it. I lost track of it along time ago and I have been using one of Dave's gauges for a number of years.

Last edited by Benson; 02-23-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote