Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
john charlton

Default American Pickers Model A .

Whilst channel surfing I dropped onto the Pickers doing a deal on two model As one a deluxe roadster the other a 68C cabriolet . The two lady sellers decided to keep dads standard roadster . The shop advising by phone did not seem to pick up on the fact that the cabriolet was a slant windshield . The prices advised seemed low especially the 68C . The chance of me finding out what happened next is remote,too many channels . This episode was 2013 and they had changed the Merc van for a Ford .Just wondered what the pickers sold them for and what was the ultimate fate .

John in cold wind Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: American Pickers Model A .

Good luck John, next week they are going to fantasy land to pick their noses. What really gets me is when they climb all over a really good old tractor with implements to pick up an oil can for $30-$40.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
ODFever

The entire show is staged. I refuse to waste my precious free time watching that garbage. I apologize for being so blunt, but I see no point in sugar coating the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
brum1

I always enjoyed viewing a lifetime of collections

I always felt they overpaid for any car they have purchased. Even their experts don't seem to understand the marketplace or apply the appropriate valueconfused:
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Occasionally, I like to watch the show.

I am always amazed at the amount of stuff people collect.

When I think my stuff is getting out of control, I just watch a segment of "Pickers" and realize I do not have much stuff at all.

My experience,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
Bill G

I like it. I know it is staged, but that doesn't really make me want to throw stuff at the TV.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Classiccanuck

Pure entertainment, guys are making hundreds of thousands per episode, buying oil cans for $20 and trying to sell them for $30....seriously?
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
CarlLaFong

I wonder how some feel the show is staged? Do the producers gather together huge collections of stuff and stage it in some remote spot? Do they hire some eccentric looking guy to pretend that he owns it? Not likely. The collections are real, so are the collectors. Now, do the producers seek out these hoards and prearrange a visit from the guys? Almost certainly. Are prices agreed upon before the show is shot? Who knows, but I find it doubtful. I just like looking at the incredible things that some people have managed to amass. I couldn't care less if they buy a sign or a toy car
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Bill G

When I think "staged" I am thinking about when they go up to someones house and ring the bell and people come to the door acting like they are answering the door without knowing that there is also a crew of camera guys and lights, etc.

I also think they kind of pick through the stuff beforehand and pretty much already know what they are going to "find".

That being said, I do like seeing all the stuff, they do go through.

It also beats just about anything else on cable! Hundreds of channels and nothing on!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
SSsssteamer

I kind of get a laugh out of the things that the pickers pass on, but then they pick up that certain widget that doesn't hold a candle to what they had to move aside to get to that widget. It shows that they already had their minds made up of what was scripted to be purchased at that stop. Secondly, their picks are salted with bicycles and motorcycle engines. You hear, "look what I found here, an old motorcycle engine". Duh... I wonder how that got stuffed in with the old furniture? A bit unbelievable, but still interesting to watch though.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:29 AM   #11
slammin

I have always enjoyed the show. but my wife can't stand Mike. Staged? I'm sure a lot of pre-show production happens. After being in the antique business in Ohio and Indiana before moving to Colorado, I laugh at some of the margins on their buys. Old stuff can sit on the shelf for months, sometimes years before the right buyer finds it. If I paid $10 for an item with the hope of getting $12 or $13 for it I wouldn't have lasted a year! It is fun seeing all those collections.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 AM   #12
john charlton

Yes of course some of it must be staged,the show could not be worked otherwise. They knock on the door of a large house and the door is instantly opened ,camera crew etc etc . It is interesting to watch if I get to catch it but I do not seek it out . A while back they picked a WW2 flying jacket with a yellow hood these were used by British pilots who flew off "camships" they sometimes ditched in the ocean and the yellow hood aided recovery . I do not think they knew what they had .I do have the identical jacket . Anyway folks what happened to those cars ???

Lohn in very cold but sunny Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccanuck View Post
Pure entertainment, guys are making hundreds of thousands per episode, buying oil cans for $20 and trying to sell them for $30....seriously?
I believe they are each paid about $500K per year for the show...not to shabby.

I actually love the show, the collections they go through are amazing and who cares if parts of it are staged.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
SeaSlugs

alot of the stuff they buy already have buyers lined up. They are merely the transport company. Same goes for Pawn Stars in Vegas.

Some of the stuff they dont buy in american pickers they actually have bought behind the scenes but it doesnt make good TV if everything they pick up they buy so they "pass" on the item...

I was watching some show where they were metal detecting in an old barn and magically found just the clutch and brake pedals to a model A buried in the mud (looked very pitted). They were all excited thinking they were going to get $45 a piece for them while as we know in reality you couldn't give em away.

Most of these TV shows I dont like (hence not paying out the a$$ for cable) so I just use netflix and amazon prime and watch what I want when I want. I have an antenna but hardly watch anything on that as they carry even worse shows...
Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
TerryH

I think many expect way too much for shows like this.....like they really could do it live and not staged? Most of tv is entertainment..... and this is no different. Like others, I simply enjoy seeing many of the unusual items, and I don’t get too wrapped up in the mechanics of the show.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
FRANK PKNY

They picked two of my friends, here in Hudson Valley NY, one was not seeded, the second friend said they seeded several items. They have help the price of some collectable stuff go way up! But you should just watch for pure entertainment. Some stuff that they pay $1000 's for to me is just junk. Other stuff is pure gold to me? takes all kinds, Mike owns the show and is the producer, it's been very successful. Give him credit! Better than watching the fake news, or some bull Shxx Hollywood type pat themselves on the back.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #17
WTSHNN

You know...I almost posted about AP this past weekend but figured the conversation would devolve into the criticisms already said above.

When I was in Hershey I was talking to BJ's Auto parts and they stated that they were picked by the American Pickers and that it would air in November. Initially it was slatted to be broadcast last night but it was replaced at the last minute.

The people at BJ's were more than complimentary about the experience and the two guys involved and stated they would even welcome them to come back.

If it isn't for you, don't watch. I enjoy it and still watch it.

Here is the episode info...
Mike and Frank accept an invitation from Indiana's Model-A Ford lady and fall hard for her ultra-rare, barn-fresh Model-A tow truck.
Show: American Pickers
Season number: 18
Episode number: 12
Air date: November 27, 2017

-Tim
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
wrndln

I have been to BJ's in Alexandria, IN. In fact I bought a 29 phaeton from Bill about 8 years ago. It was very rough, but after a ton of welding in patches and a lot of TLC, it is pretty much restored. He had a lot of model A stuff, as he bought out many Ford dealers years earlier. His daughter Vanessa took over the business when Bill died about 5 or 6 years ago.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
V4F

I find the show entertaining . the really bad one is "pawn stars" . at least mike , frank are fun to watch .............
Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Definitely all staged. The deals are done ahead of time. Pretty phony but if you like just watching to see the 'stuff' and pay no attention to the 'prices' it is OK entertainment. Same as the big car auctions. DVR these shows, fast forward thru the endless commercials and crap, see what you want then delete. Best way to watch.

I can blow thru 6 hours of B-J auctions in about ten minutes. Seems like just when a neat old car is about to drive up they cut to their 8 minutes of their redundant commercials then it's back to a 2002 BMW, 1995 Dodge, or the like.

Mike and crew make their $$ off of the TV show, not selling the stuff they 'pick'.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote