Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
mark4marc

Default Window Shade Fabric

Does anyone have cuttings or remnants of original Model A window shade fabric that they can send me? I tried a "Model A - Wanted" ad, but received no response. I'm trying to research the shades and maybe make up a reference file. According to the "Judging Standards", there's three pattern styles, depending on the year and model of the car-- a narrow diamond, a square diamond, and a criss-cross (which some people call a basket weave)-- plus the plain cloth used for standard models. The "Judging Standards" photos are all black and white and the color descriptions are all generic: brown, green, tan, grey and blue. I found an earlier Ford Barn chain of discussion on shade fabric dating from January 2016, which got a lot of responses, but created more questions than answers. I'm looking for scraps of the two diamonds and criss-cross and I would like to see as many actual colors as I can (or what's left of them, being that the fabrics are 80 years old). If anyone can help me out, please let me know.
mark4marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: Window Shade Fabric

See if LeBaron Bonny has any T-14C material anymore. T-14C was an tan/olive green material.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Jim/GA

I was told that the MARC has two 3-ring binders full of upholstery samples, both original and reproduction.

Check with them. See if they will send you photos.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Don Turley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
I was told that the MARC has two 3-ring binders full of upholstery samples, both original and reproduction.

Check with them. See if they will send you photos.
Best that I remember, there were (3) binders with the upholstery samples. One is supposed to be in possession of MARC, one with MAFCA, and one with MAFFI (the museum). Howard & Gretchen Minners did the research and compiled the books. Maybe Brad Minners will see this post and comment.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
art ebeling

I have some pieces of the diamond and the criss cross from 1931 Victoria's. P M me your address and I will send you a piece of each. What are you planning to do with the samples? If you are trying to find a material that is similar in appearance there is a diamond pattern sold on Ebay as antique speaker fabric that is as close as can be found. eBay item number:253436193058 Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg shade 2.jpeg (156.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg shade 1.jpeg (100.2 KB, 33 views)
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
mark4marc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks to all so far.... I was at the MARC Office in Garden City last November and looked through their two notebooks. They had cuttings of the brown and the green diamond (the later version) and a gold/tan criss-cross. It was helpful, but I would still like to obtain my own cuttings. So if anyone has any scraps or remnants of an old shade (doesn't have to be much-- 2" square or so, or more if you can spare it), please let me know. Scraps of the plain cloth will also be appreciated if anyone has remnants of those.
mark4marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Bud

I hesitate to mention this, but back in the 1980's I partnered with a local weaver and he researched the material and weave pattern for the double diamond pattern for me. This was for my Deluxe Tudor and Deluxe Coupe I owned. I have all the files and reference material for this project. Unfortunately the weaver lost his sight and I had another individual complete the weaving of material for 10 curtains. I kept two. The other 8 took me 10 years to sell. Everyone wants a different width pattern or color. No one wanted to pay more than the repro price for it either. Later on the Victoria association picked my brain on who was weaving the curtains for me. Once I told them, they went around me to get their curtains woven. Left a really bitter taste in my mouth which I still resent today. If you are interested in my research files, contact me, I will sell them.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
steve s

FWIW, I've got the original shades from my 1929 Murray Town Sedan. I'm not prepared to cut them up or give away swatches, but if anyone wants to stop by the house and take a look at them, that would be fine. Kalamazoo is 300 miles from Columbus and not far from the Gilmore Model A Museum.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
Don Turley

Photo of an original shade in an Early 1930 Murray Town Sedan, 155C
I don't think the shade was ever pulled down in this car and all but the outer most fabric was like brand new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155C interior 14.jpg (181.6 KB, 41 views)
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote