Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
fixitphil

Default Engine # vs. Frame #

According to fordgarage.com Henry Ford used engine numbers as VIN numbers from the factory (as my Model A is). I still want a listing of where my 1931 Sport Coupe body was built. I found the frame stamped number. I can'seem to locate a web site that gives me that info.
fixitphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Engine # vs. Frame #

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitphil View Post
According to fordgarage.com Henry Ford used engine numbers as VIN numbers from the factory (as my Model A is). I still want a listing of where my 1931 Sport Coupe body was built. I found the frame stamped number. I can'seem to locate a web site that gives me that info.
There is NO listings as to where your Model A was built. However, if you have the ORIGINAL paperwork from the assembly plant, which a lot of times shows the engine number of the vehicle sold to the dealer, AND if that engine number matches yours, then you have the assembly plant for where your vehicle was built...even the dealers Bill of Sale may tell you also but not always.

Another way is to see what the assembly plant code is on the body's front cross sill. There you will see some letters and numbers...the letters coresspond to the assembly plant BUT sometimes those markings are not there.

Review this document:http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...ND%20CODES.pdf

Suposedly there was a list of all Model A/AA engines in the Ford Rountunda which told us just WHERE each engine was shipped to to be assembled into a Model A/AA chassis. However, and unfortunatly for all of us, those records were destroyed in a fire.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 06-10-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote