Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #61
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Keeping Tailgaters Off Your Back

This thread got me to write to the Missouri Highway patrol. I live in an area where there are a lot of horse and buggy users, and a lot have a battery hook up with flashing tail lights and/or the agricultural triangle for slow moving equipment. Anyway, I wrote to the Missouri Highway patrol and questioned the use on my vintage Model A Ford! Got just about an instant response that felt it might help other drivers. The Lieutenant who contacted me also said there was nothing that specifically addressed using the triangle on a vintage vehicle "OR PREVENTED ITS USE" and that it might help others and me. Just FYI from Missouri

Last edited by DHZIEMAN; 05-05-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added pertinent content
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #62
woofa.express

No restorable Model A's were harmed in the building of this truck!
I like your humour Denis.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #63
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
My first car burned used SAE 40 weight oil at the rate of a quart every 40 miles. With compression that low it struggled to keep up, and tailgaters were a regular part of the experience. My cure for tailgating was to step on the clutch, floor the gas pedal, then quickly let off on both pedals. The resulting cloud of smoke and oil mist was like the worst London fog. The tailgater quickly fell back and I occasionally caught a glimpse of him pulling over to clean his windshield on the side of the road.
I approve of your retaliatory action Ursus. if you ever rebuild your engine and your "getcha" method is no longer available you could install a smoke generator. We use these in ag planes when the wind is about nil to see which way our drift will go. It pumps paraffin oil into the exhaust and leaves a magnificent trail. It has a reservoir tank of about a gallon.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #64
katy

IIRC, the speed on slow moving vehicles cannot exceed 25mph (40kph), and they cannot be on the road at night. This probably varies in different jurisdictions.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #65
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Here in Pa., I recently got a speeding ticket for 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. I talked to some people about it and they had gotten speeding tickets there too. That ticket was $152. Ouch! And Pa doesn't allow their local cops to have radar. This was not in a Mod. A. The towns keep the speed limits low in some areas just so when you forget where you are, you'll drive at a normal speed and then "Bingo" he's got you! As far as I can see, all states do this.
In Jersey, the posted speed on the NJ Parkway is 65, but the traffic is doing 80 mph. Maybe there's just too many speeders and it would take an army of cops to arrest them all. And those who are ticketed would go to court and claim " selective enforcement", I would!
Terry
What is their reasoning for this??? Radar is about all the police use here. It can be concealed in an unmarked car, hidden at the sideof the road, set up beside traffic lights - just about anywhere. Only the most brazen try speeding and they don't do it for long. Each infringement earns them demerit points and once a driver acrues 10 points, their license is cancelled for at least 3 months. No questions!
As much as I don't like the setup, our road toll has been declining for the past 20 or 30 years.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #66
30 Closed Cab PU

Some letter are missing, took a pic going through teh McDonalds drive through yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper Sticker.jpg (36.6 KB, 146 views)
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #67
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
What is their reasoning for this??? Radar is about all the police use here. It can be concealed in an unmarked car, hidden at the sideof the road, set up beside traffic lights - just about anywhere. Only the most brazen try speeding and they don't do it for long. Each infringement earns them demerit points and once a driver acrues 10 points, their license is cancelled for at least 3 months. No questions!
As much as I don't like the setup, our road toll has been declining for the past 20 or 30 years.
Well For one thing, Radar blasts everybody with microwaves. It's like sticking your head in a microwave oven. Not exactly, but similar. Secondly, we're finding our way around radar tickets. I've beaten a few Pro se! And I don't like being thought of as just a cash machine. So they are going to laser! Now we have to find our way around laser machines.
Here's what I mean by using us as a cash cow. In new Jersey, if you get a ticket for up to 15 mph over It's three points, Above 15 and it's 5 points. So the love to write 42 in a 25 mph zone. Now there is case law stating that no speed detection device is consistantly accurate to more than three mph. This is known as the D'Antonio decision , and everyone must be given the benefit of D'Antonio. OK but D'Antonio is not widely known! So the poor sap who goes to court by himself gets clobbered with the fine plus 5 points. The poor sap who goes to court and paying $500 for his lawyer's court appearance get to save 2 points simply by his lawyer mentioning" What about D"Antonio?" and mr Poor Sap suddenly gets his speed cut to 39 mph and he doesn't know why and doesn't care. His Lawyer is a great guy! $500 ? Cheap! His Mr Lawyerman was a good, no Great investment! The Law Enforcement Industry just claimed another victim!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #68
John in SATX

I agree the tailgater will not make you go faster, love the sign. Another thing to consider is lighting up the rear end of your car to make it more visible. I use LED tail lights, an LED "strip" across the back window plus two good bright red clearance lights like they used to have on trucks. I have had many compliment me on how visible my car is from the rear. We can never be too safe!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #69
Gufshoz

I recently started using this light (Amazon) stuck by my rear window. It almost doubles the distance following vehicles back off. Because it's relatively cheap, I gave it a try. I was amazed. Combined with an LED 3rd brake light, I have a new sense of safety.

Roadside Flashing Flares Safety Warning Light Emergency LED Strobe Light with Magnetic Base Vehicle and Marine (Amber)
Sold by: MIUHIU
Gufshoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #70
Cave

45MPH_r.jpg

Works great, the only hand gestures it draws are waves... plus some smiles and laughs.

Easy to make, 1" and 2" rub on letters from Michaels (or similar) and a blank license plate.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #71
a boner

1. Slow down to leave a safe interval BEHIND you to match the speed the tailgater is driving. Pull over to let them pass, when you reach a safe area.

2. Install a windshield washer system on the rear of your vehicle. Aim it rearward. Fill the reservoir with anti-freeze. When they turn on their wiper to clear their windshield, the anti-freeze will just smear! Hopefully they will pull over, and you will be long gone.
a boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #72
dpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
"Just Married" is another one.

Sort of like "Baby on Board" with more "buy-in" by the follower?

Come to think of it "Old Curmudgeon on Board" might work?

No - less "buy in."

How about "Bastard on Board", that might slow them down...
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote