Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Crash Pictures?

Hi everyone,
I was at my friend’s house last week when he brought out this big stack of old insurance adjuster photos. I offered to scan them all for him, so I have them all in digital form. I could share them here. However they are not all model A pictures. So, what do you think? Share them here, or not? Below are a few samples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash-1-1.jpg (57.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 1.00.36 PM.jpg (65.5 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 12.59.05 PM.jpg (65.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 12.59.33 PM.jpg (54.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 12.59.59 PM.jpg (64.6 KB, 225 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Crash Pictures?

Automobile safety features have come a long way. In the '50's and '60's we saw many nasty accidents and people frequently went through the windshield or died from the impact of hitting the metal dash board or the steering wheel. Modern cars are at least a lot safer. Kind of makes one shiver to think of what could happen in our precious A's. Mine has no enhanced safety features, other than I carry my cell phone with me whenever I go out with it.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
pgerhardt

These are not what I would call happy pictures. However I found it interesting that the old designs provided large “crush zones” which kept the passenger areas pretty much intact. However the importance of seat belts and safety glass is also obvious. I think everyone should add these to their model A's, especially since they don't detract from the original appearance, and I find the seat belt helps keep me from sliding all over the seat in turns.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
asapguy

I could send some pics of my 09 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It was totally destroyed in an accident on Nov. 16th. I was hit on US Hwy 2 in Monroe Wa. by an 06 Chevy PU. The driver of the PU claimed to have a seizure. Police est. his speed was 50-55MPH when he struck me on the pass. side of my Jeep, I was doing 30MPH. He came out of a parking area. I was knocked over the raised center divider & landed 30ft. from point of impact upside down. Witnesses say my Jeep was 8ft in the air & landed in far rt. lane of opposing traffic. I'm lucky to have survived, spent 2-1/2 days in the hosp. & have a shattered L-5 vertebrae, sore left foot & rt. shoulder along with lots of black & blue areas. Both air bags went off causing lots of chest pain. Won't be driving for at least two more months, just glad to be alive. You just never know what can happen in a blink of an eye.

Last edited by asapguy; 12-10-2017 at 04:17 PM.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
JDupuis

asapguy, that's quite the story. Glad you are still with us to share this unfortunate accident.
Jeff
Old 12-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
daveymc29

Went thru a guys car collection in OKC last week. He has some real original stuff and meticulous restoration cars. All have seat belts and rear view mirrors though some of the racing cars had neither. He says the purists hate that, but he rather have seat belts than an operation or worse.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Lona

Three of the photos show broken windshields where passenger's heads hit. I say post more pictures of these to hopefully impress upon those who don't have lap or three point belts in their Model A's to install them now. There is plenty of info on this forum regarding how to install belts so there should be no excuses not to do it. Better yet, post one broken windshield or bent steering wheel photo each week and keep it up until you run out of pics of these awful accidents. Then do it all over again. If it urges belt installations and it saves even one life, you would have given us a valuable service.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
History

When my daughter who is only 16 now took her drivers education course the instructor who's son is a NC state trooper, asked if he could show her and my son before her photos of crash sites his son had responded to. He said that they were graphic and I answered absolutely, because the truth is graphic.

I know some things are hard to look at but imo if it makes only one person think and be safer it's worth the shock that most snowflakes would experience nowadays.

Post away as far as I'm concerned.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Benson

Supposedly Model As came with safety glass in Windshield ONLY.

Do not assume that your windshield is safety glass!

Long story short ... I assumed that the Coupe had safety glass windshield.

In 1966 I hit the rear of a 56 Plymouth at 45 MPH that was stopped in front of me.

The seat belt kept me from hitting the windshield ... BUT

Ten years later when replacing the windshield we found that it was single strength window glass.

If I had not been using the seat belt in 1966 I may not still be here!

Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

A GREAT book for Student Drivers, is, "DEFENSIVE DRIVING BY MR. SMITH"--Outstanding book & my Kids OFTEN quoted it!! It's easily available on the INTERWEB!
Bill Helping
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
Three of the photos show broken windshields where passenger's heads hit. I say post more pictures of these to hopefully impress upon those who don't have lap or three point belts in their Model A's to install them now. There is plenty of info on this forum regarding how to install belts so there should be no excuses not to do it. Better yet, post one broken windshield or bent steering wheel photo each week and keep it up until you run out of pics of these awful accidents. Then do it all over again. If it urges belt installations and it saves even one life, you would have given us a valuable service.

Glen
yea also for the driver not to mention the steering shaft speer aimed right at your chest. Its something crazy like on a 160 lb driver there is 3200# of force in a seatbelt to stop them in an accident at 30 miles an hour. You wont have the reaction to brace yourself (if you do your arms would shatter) nor strength to prevent your face from being a crumple zone. Theres a reason why cars nowadays crumple and send the energy around you and padded dashboards, auto retracting seatbelts, collapsing steering columns, and multiple air bags to cocoon the large fast moving projectile known as your body. Lap belts are great and better than nothing but since the rest of the car is steel and glass best to have some kinda shoulder restraint.
Also on some models if you take the corner too fast and the door flies open you or your passenger will still be in the car