Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Interior heat

This summer I sweated in my 40. 90+* outside, cowl vent open allowing hot/humid air in, windows down and sweat running down my legs sitting on black r&p Naugahyde.
The price we pay to enjoy.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #22
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
I plugged all the holes in my 40 and covered the floor with some (Fake from Home Depot) Dyna Mat like insulation. It still gets warm in the car. But now it is October so who cares. Even without a heater

Plus 2 on this mat. It is made of recycled cotton material with a foil back no adhesive. Works great for sound and heat and about 1/2" thick.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #23
Woodie1

I'll have to check on the insulating mats. We'll see how hot it gets inside next summer.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:09 AM   #24
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
I was wondering if other people have warm cars inside. We went for short 10 mile drive today in a 39 Convertible Sedan we recently purchased & it seemed rather warm inside. The temp was about 70 degrees outside & the temp gauge in the car was showing about 180 degrees. Does this sound right? May have to take a thermometer with us on the next outing to see how warm it shows in the car. No heater installed.

"You betcha" my '39 Ford Convertible gets warm inside even with the top down! I use a "bead" seat to try and keep my back dry from perspiration. My engine temperature is also showing about 180F. I like the idea of the muffler or tailpipe "shield" mentioned elsewhere in the comments. The top stays down and she is basically a fair weather driver. Wouldn't think of taking her out in the rain. Fortunately we live in the Deep South and get very few frigid days down here. Also living near the Ocean serves as a heat sump for us and keeps the ambient temperature a little warmer in the winter. Regardless, I will address this issue by plugging some holes that I know exist in the firewall. Also my cover for access to the master cylinder doesn't want to stay put and that is a huge hole! And I have only owned this jewel 3 months but it still gives great pleasure to drive her.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #25
fordor41

our '41 fordor with 302 and dual exhaust would get the floor above the mufflers REALLY hot. we were in Vermont at a NSRA meet and bought a couple pieces of flexible ceramic insulation covered with heavy foil that I wrapped around the top of the mufflers with hose clamps. boy did that ever cut down on the heat. I thought it was Insul-shield but can not find it anywhere. don't know if I got the name wrong or they went out of business.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #26
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
our '41 fordor with 302 and dual exhaust would get the floor above the mufflers REALLY hot. we were in Vermont at a NSRA meet and bought a couple pieces of flexible ceramic insulation covered with heavy foil that I wrapped around the top of the mufflers with hose clamps. boy did that ever cut down on the heat. I thought it was Insul-shield but can not find it anywhere. don't know if I got the name wrong or they went out of business.

Try this outfit: McMaster-Carr located near Atlanta, GA

https://www.mcmaster.com/flexible-ceramic-insulation/
This place makes ACE, Home Depot etc look like toy stores. One location but they ship World Wide. Every kind of material made plus other stuff. Dream it and you'll find it here.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote