Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
transbytip

Default Will it work?

Hi guys,have an idea to try will it work? I have had 13 o.d. trannys from the 49-59 Merc.&49 up fords incl the t85s sold quite a few have a few left have wondered if the o.d. works did the one test on free wheeling by puting o.d. engauged in &tranny in gear out put will turn one way only,came up with this idea to test them,get old clutch disc attach a v-grove pulley to it get either a hor.shaft small eng.or a elect.motor with a v-gr.pulley attach.mount either to aboard with a hinge, for output sh.take a pulley to slip overo.p.shaft attach a couple l brackets&hose clamp it to shaft now with either use a speedo or hand held tach to measure a before&aft speed,now run a hot wire with proper voltage to gov. from gov. run wire to engauge sol. run another hot wire to hold sol. engauged.spin the clutch to a set rpm.check speedo or rpm with hand held tach on o.p.shaft.get reading,now lift up on motor to simulate letting up on gas pedal now let the motor down now check speedo. or pulley if o.d. is working now o.p. should be appx.30%less.WILL IT WORK? THANKS CLIFF.
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Will it work?

I don't know why it wouldn't work, unless you will have to have some way to put a slight drag on the output shaft to make it slow down for the OD to engage. By the way, if your input speed remains the same, shouldn't the output shaft should be FASTER if it drops into overdrive? Let us know how it works.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Whether it works or not still is not a very good indication of the condition of internal parts. A person can take the solenoid, governor, and rail switch off (if equipped with the rail switch) and test all that stuff independently. A person can push the pawl into place manually and test the overdrive to see if the gears move and such.

I personally wouldn't install one of these on my own vehicle unless I open it up and at least check condition of all the parts. They generally need new gaskets anyway. This way a person can insure it will function without ruining anything in there or ruining your under pants. If your driving down the road at speed and the thing locks up on you then you will know why I make sure they are ready for the road. I haven't had it happen to me yet but I know of two persons that did have it happen to them back in the day. The R10 is more vulnerable than the R11. The R11 was much stronger and would easily handle a large CID FE engine. The R10, not so much.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
flatheadmurre

The gearboxes need a support for the input shaft.
If i was making a driver i would use the electrical motor as support driving the inputshaft directly.
A flange motor with a bracket to bolt it to the gearbox ??
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
transbytip

40cpe yes you are correct output will be faster if input is the same.Cliff.
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote