Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
1930.68B

Question Gear clearance

We're in the process of rebuilding the transmission in our 1930 Cabriolet. We have all the bushings, bearings, and spacers except for the reverse gear bushing. We've looked at Bratton's, Snyder's, and Mac's and haven't been able to locate the bushing for the reverse gear. The bushing to the shaft has about .004 to .005 clearance. I'm sure that is more than is recommended for clearance but would like to get some your thoughts about the reverse gear and bushing being usable 'as is'. The reverse gear shaft doesn't show any wear and the gear it's self has very little rounding on the teeth and two pits that are maybe .03 in diameter.
1930.68B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Gear clearance

don't worry about it. In all my years of doing mechanical rebuilding and have done many transmissions and rear axles i have never replaced that bushing. I always inspect them and the gear for flaws and would pull a replacement if needed from what I have.
A human hair is .003... so if you have a little clearance of that or a smidge more I wouldn't worry about it. If you want another one drop me a PM.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote