Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Ebay propay?

I just went to buy and pay for some screws on ebay and at checkout instead of the usual paypal I see a new "PROPAY". They want all my information, including my credit card number. Does anyone know if this is OK, or is it some kind of hacking? Thanks
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
machine girl

Default Re: Ebay propay?

I buy and sell a lot on ebay never heard of propay??
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Franchise_24

Yeah unless it's brand new, I have never heard of it either. I would proceed with caution.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
luckyal

Only a fool would provide this information. For your financial security and well being you must decline !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

tom it does not sound kosher
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Nodakwalleyer

Paid for something last night I won and it went straight to PayPal!
Nodakwalleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Fordors

Have you notified eBay?
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
gweilbaker

Tom,
I just googled it, it looks like something new since May 1st.
-best to read up on it.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
lookin-backtexas

Tom: I have had an ebay store for eight years and have completed over 22,000 transactions on ebay. Apparently ProPay is an option sellers have to collect payment if they don't want to use PayPal. Through my ebay account I checked and came up with this about ProPay from back in August last year:

Question: What is pro pay, I went to pay with paypal and this person uses pro pay.
Aug 6, 2012 10:16 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html#propay

ProPay
ProPay lets sellers accept credit cards without an Internet merchant account.
Learn more about paying with ProPay.

Payment is traceable. You can track the status of your payment using My eBay or your credit card account.
Payment is convenient and immediate. You pay directly from the listing page and the seller receives notification of your credit card payment.
You may have some liability coverage. Your credit card company may provide a certain level of purchase protection. Contact your credit card company to learn more. (ProPay doesn't offer its own buyer protection program.)
You don't need to register with ProPay to make payments.

Sounds legit.
Fred
Editor of The Restorer magazine, official publication of MAFCA 12 years
Life Member Dallas Model A Ford Club (44 years)
23 year member & founder Lone Star Model A Ford Club
Chairman 35th Model A Ford Texas Tour 1998 (state convention)
Chairman 42nd Model A Ford Texas Tour 2005 (state convention)
Charter Member Ford Model AA Truck Club
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!
lookin-backtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Ross/Kzoo

I bought something last year and didn't realize that it automatically went to Propay. I don't remember what I did but for sure I don't want my name and all account numbers out there for everyone to hack. I think that I went back in was able to use Paypal as an alternative. You can decide for yourself if you want your information all over theinternet, I don't!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
machine girl

before you pay check your payment opps.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Tinker

Ebay owns paypal. Seems propay is gaining some popularity due to paypals fees. Never used it though and can't advise it's security or issues.

Like Ross I don't like to put a lot of info out there. But your creditcard info should be fine as most of us use it for paying online all the time. SS#, bank info, passwords, and Birthdate... no thanks.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
sidhartha

Propay is new for EBay and it seems to be a legitimate way to pay. PayPal only take transactions from your bank account were Propay uses secure transactions from your credit card. They offer a small card reader that works on a smart phone to transaction easier for sellers. I've seen them advertised on tv. Here's a link that can explain it better than I can.

http://www.propay.com/industry-solutions/eauction-ebay/
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
Pinstripe

Paid for plates yesterday on Ebay with no mention of Propay. Used PayPal as usual. Must be an option
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
ba49

What I did to cover all internet type transactions is opened a separate checking account with a debit/credit card and only keep enough in the account to cover whatever I'm purchasing on line. That way if someone gets the card number they are only getting whatever I put in there. If I need more in there it's an easy thing to transfer money from our regular account. This was recommended to me by my bank after someone got my card number and went on an online spending spree. It's also a good way to deal with vendors over the phone if you are apprehensive about them. Better safe than sorry.
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Hicktick

Everyone watch out for scams . I got an e-mail that said my paypal account had been closed because of the wrong password entered .

They were directing me to a site to fix it . It was a scam .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Ehhh there are pay pal scams done hourly.. remember this. Pay pal will ALWAYS address the note to you directly.,
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Aok

The thing I like about paypal is I do not have to give my credit card #
I would look for another vendor selling what you want
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
William Kelchner

I made a number of purchases off Ebay over the years using a debit card. Recently I went to pay for something through PayPal as usual and I was denied because I reached some $2,000 total, despite using this card for years and years and having a perfect buyer record Ebay, I am now advised sorry you have to be "Verified". In other words I now have to link bank information, routing number, account number. Maybe its just me but I contacted PayPal and asked them to explain the logic behind this (other than making more money) and since I have a spotless payment record why am I being blocked. They yet to reply.
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Everyone watch out for scams . I got an e-mail that said my paypal account had been closed because of the wrong password entered .

They were directing me to a site to fix it . It was a scam .
Whenever you get an email telling you that you have update your info or that your account will be closed NEVER use the link in the email. If you are curious just access the site the way that you normally do and look for any messages there.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kelchner View Post
I made a number of purchases off Ebay over the years using a debit card. Recently I went to pay for something through PayPal as usual and I was denied because I reached some $2,000 total, despite using this card for years and years and having a perfect buyer record Ebay, I am now advised sorry you have to be "Verified". In other words I now have to link bank information, routing number, account number. Maybe its just me but I contacted PayPal and asked them to explain the logic behind this (other than making more money) and since I have a spotless payment record why am I being blocked. They yet to reply.
That's exactly what happened to me during my first round with paypal. I had given them my band account number, but they said I can't use that number because it's already in use. DUH ya, I'm the one using it and had already given it to paypal. I went round and round and finally gave up on paypal for 2 years. I then signed up again and all is well this time.

This thread is about something new to me however, and it's called PROPAY and they want me to fill in my credit card information.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #22
gfewkes

Hi Folks. First off, there are some seriously cool cars here. I'm very much in awe at some the cars in your profile pics. Secondly, I'm the customer service manager for ProPay.I'm not looking to advertise here, just want you to make sure you're able to get the parts and accessories you need for your cars and would hate for you not to because you were not confident in using ProPay. Personally, I think what you do to preserve these vehicles is way cool. I just wanted to clarify some things on here. ProPay has been in business since 1997. We are based out of Lehi, Utah. We are PCI compliant, which means that we adhere to the highest security standards set forth by the credit card industry. When eBay decided to eliminate the cash and check option, they needed to provide other options besides PayPal. ProPay was the first company to integrate with eBay. We are an approved eBay payment option. We'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about ProPay. I'm not looking to advertise here, just want you to make sure you're able to get the parts and accessories you need for your cars and would hate for you not to because you were not confident in using ProPay. You can check us out at www.propay.com and www.propay.com/ebay. eBay is also full of information about us as well.
gfewkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba49 View Post
What I did to cover all internet type transactions is opened a separate checking account with a debit/credit card and only keep enough in the account to cover whatever I'm purchasing on line.ry.
That is exactly what I do too.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Ran into something similar about six (6) months ago -- received an email from some company saying they were Paypal & wanted lots of my banking information.

Their English grammar was terrible.

Contacted Paypal who reported this was a known foreign, fake Paypal organization illegally trying to acquire banking information -- they suggested ignoring them.

Used to also receive faxes from foreign jerks wanting to deposit large sums of money in my banking account -- reported each fax to FBI -- FBI said to ignore same -- thousands of these faxes were circulating at that time.

All of this goes on only because we have so many uninformed Americans who are not aware of these scams & trust everybody.

Wonderful that these disaster scams are reported on this Forum to make others aware of such.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #25
ford31

sellers page will show payment options,probably same auction you refer to awhile back I purchased stainless screws great price, asuming they take paypal, not reading, which I did after, I went ahead made purchase using propay,credit card I use for internet I keep just enough for internet use.
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
Propay is new for EBay and it seems to be a legitimate way to pay. PayPal only take transactions from your bank account were Propay uses secure transactions from your credit card. They offer a small card reader that works on a smart phone to transaction easier for sellers. I've seen them advertised on tv. Here's a link that can explain it better than I can.

http://www.propay.com/industry-solutions/eauction-ebay/
I have paid for hundreds of items on EBay with PayPal charging my credit card.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote