Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
delco1946

Default Fordomatic and sending units

Silly question but how many gears would my 55 fordomatic have? I’ve seen manuals with overdrive but did automatics? It always sounds sorta loud at 70 miles per hour and I’m curious if that’s more a problem with sound insulation or if my engine (292) is revving higher due to a lack of overdrive. I have no reason to believe my engine isn’t operating normally, just curious.

Also, unrelated- what sort of temp sending unit would I need? I know mine isn’t correct and my mechanic said the gauges are good. Do I want Two prong or single? I’m having a hard time coming up with a clear “winner” when I type 6 volt original 1955 Ford temp sender. Macs has too many options! My gas gauge also reads empty when it has 5 gallons left, could this also be due to an incorrect gas sending unit? I’m trying to get my gauges reading accurately while avoiding repros based on the other forums I’ve read. Thanks!
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Fordomatic and sending units

A 55 fordo will be a 3 speed, but only start in low if you manually put the shift lever there or go to nearly wide open throttle and the kickdown rod actuates it. IIRC it is air cooled also. Setting the kickdown is outlined in the manual, and it’s a tricky sort of linkage- slider, spring, etc. too many years for me to remember the details.

I’d think the sender for a 55 bird is the same as the passenger car, try sourcing one of those.

There’s a discussion going on about the gas gauges and sending unit going on at yblocksforever. About the third page a j Bergman has a post about the King Seeley gauges.

Search for his other discussions, they’re different. If your within 5 gallons at empty, you’re better than most.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/UserInfo851.aspx
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #3
Rusty_S85

To adjust the transmission rod you need a 1/4" drill bit. You take the throttle bell crank and position it with the 1/4 drill bit placed in the positioning holes to center the bell crank. this is where you make your adjustments for transmission and for your throttle as well as pedal height.

Once you get your bell crank locked in place loosen the jam nut on the transmission rod and remove the keeper. pull the transmission rod up against its internal stop and adjust the clevis to slip easily onto the throttle bell crank. Once you do this remove the clevis from the bell crank and turn it 2 1/2 to 3 turns counter clockwise. 2 1/2 turns is recommended but it says do not exceed 3 turns. This positions the lever off the internal stop as well as setting the proper position for the transmission shift points. I have mine in my '56 set at 3 turns out and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell.
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The throttle valve rod (TV control) may be fine if its shifting OK. They didn't have a kick down control since it was handled by the TV. FoMoCo fit the Ford-O-Matic & Merc-O-Matic cars with taller gears in the rear axle to keep the rpm down but there may be more than one ratio in 1955. I know the early ones had two different ratios. The units have a large air cooled torque converter to control temps in the transmission. In 1956 they started using an oil cooler.

I wouldn't adjust the TV rod without an oil pressure gauge being fitted to the transmission. More throttle means more transmission oil pressure since the two are correlated through the throttle control. A soft shift can be adjusted to a more positive shift when adjusting the rod but they don't want it to go over around 160 psi at full pressure. The shifts would be too harsh and may do some damage. Too soft a shift may allow slippage and that will kill the metallic clutch plates rather quickly.

When everything is right on the FOM or MOM, they work pretty well. If they have a lot of wear, internal linkage looseness, or oil pressure leakage then they start to get problematic. A pressure test will tell if there is a problem in the hydraulic end of the control system.

The King Seeley instrument senders operate on a current pulse type system. No one manufactures a good reproduction on the fuel quantity but the OEM units can be repaired. The temp units are reproduced but I prefer to find a good used sender or a working NOS part. Flatheads used the two terminal types but they were just a bi-metallic switch that made the unit go full hot when it reached the set temperature. The single terminal type actually gave a temp reading of the engine coolant. I would assume the 55 used a single terminal type but I am not certain.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-23-2019 at 02:45 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
paul2748

Up to 56, Ford used the sender that had two push on terminals. You only use one, not both.
As far as the gas gauge, the problem may be the float in the tank. Maybe it needs adjustment or has a hole on the float that is making the float sink faster than it should. Since it reads empty before it actually is empty, it's not a bad thing as you won't run out of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post

Also, unrelated- what sort of temp sending unit would I need? I know mine isn’t correct and my mechanic said the gauges are good. Do I want Two prong or single? I’m having a hard time coming up with a clear “winner” when I type 6 volt original 1955 Ford temp sender. Macs has too many options! My gas gauge also reads empty when it has 5 gallons left, could this also be due to an incorrect gas sending unit? I’m trying to get my gauges reading accurately while avoiding repros based on the other forums I’ve read. Thanks!
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #6
Daves55Sedan

As far as the temp sending units, the ones with the dual push-on terminals were used on flathead V8's where two sending units were installed. They would connect a wire daisy-chained from the passenger side sender to the driver side sender. Apparently, the reading you received at the guage would be the highest of the two senders.
In 1954, when the first Y-block OHV engine came out, FOMOCO simply used the same old style temp senders even though they only needed one wire connection. To my knowledge, they kept using them through at least 1956.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

The rear end gear ratio on a 1956 with 292/Ford-o-matic is probably 3.30:1. I had a '57 banjo rearend that had factory 2.91:1 ratio. It was also 292/Ford-o-matic, but the Ford-o-matic was water cooled (which was a new development for 1957). I loved the 2.91 gears, but I did all highway driving with it and it would still burn the rubber off the back tires from a dead stop.
The old Ford-o-matics start in intermediate gear when "Drive" is selected and automatically shift into high gear, thus normally they only shift once in "Drive" (unless you punch it, which forces the passing gear to engage low gear), then it would shift twice.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
big job

Don't touch the fuel sender thats perfect. One must understand the 5gal and the area
of the tank may amount to 1 or 2 inches level of fuel. Terrible when the needle heading
to E and you start walking. good to have that reserve....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Rusty_S85

Yep 3.30:1 was standard axle ratio for a automatic V8 with 3.55:1 being optional for a automatic V8.
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

You can adjust the fuel sending unit like this: Remove the fuel sending unit. Bend the float arm upward a little bit where it makes the 90 degree corner. Re-install the unit. If you have 5 gallons of gas in the tank at that time, drive the car 30 miles. Now you have about 3 gallons left in the tank. Where is the needle on the gauge pointing now? I recommend having the needle pointing at Empty with about 3 gallons in the tank. Reason being that if you happen to be driving up a road with a long uphill slope, the remainder of your gas will flow downhill toward the back of the tank and starve your fuel line. There are some really long uphill slopes on highways in southern Missouri.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
grumppyoldman

I had a 55 ford Club Sedan, If I started off in L and after it shifted to D I could pull it back ti L and run top speed until I shifted back to D. That was what was called an inter-mediate gear. I think they dis- continued it in 59. I had a 60 mod that if you tried that you were in the windshield. So I would say it had 3 gear ranges, no overdrive. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The cruise-o-matic was the first dual range of the type in 1958 but they did continue thru 1959 with the older type FOM for 6-bangers & light duty 292 applications. 1961 brought the first vacuum modulated ones. The C6 didn't come along until the 1966 Lincolns and they still had the big MEL engines in a new 462 cubic inch displacement.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-27-2019 at 06:26 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Fairlane56

I had a 1962 medium case Cruise-O installed in my 56 Victoria replacing the Ford-O. Best thing I ever did for the car. I was able to use the stock column indicator by lengthening it about an inch. It now shows the 2 drive locations on one on each side of the "D". I added a "green" dot for the 3 speed and a "white" dot for the 2 speed.

The old "pressure" kick down is now just a lever kick down and I adjusted it using a slider that just works at the end of the throttle linkage. The vacuum modulator handles the normal driving.
Fairlane56 is offline   Reply With Quote