Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default 8ba 275 carb options

Hey guys, I recently picked up a rebuilt a rebuilt 8ba, the guy I got it from didn't know much about (he had it listed as a 239) from what Iíve found it was done in the 80ís and itís been sitting since, I found it has the 4Ē crank, bored .030 over, came with the offenhauser tri power intake and old offenhauser heads stamped 325, according to an old offenhauser chart that I found itís now a 275 and with those heads itís 11.3:1 compression, I also picked up a super dual intake as an option
My question is can I run the single carb intake on this engine since the stock 255 was ran with the the single 94, and can I run 87 octane fuel with these head or do I need 91?, I also have a set of the aluminum Ford 8ba heads I was considering running.
I do drive the car quite frequently pretty much year round so reliability and economy is more of a concern to me over speed(the first year I ran the car with a worn out 239 and this past year Iíve been running with another engine with incorrectly adjusted valves and a misfire)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 4,380
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

For a daily driver, I would use the 94 and the Ford heads.

Last edited by flatjack9; 01-10-2023 at 12:03 PM.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
Newc
Senior Member
 
Newc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

In fact the 8cm or EAC Merc heads will help lower compression slightly over 8ba's or EAB heads. All late '49+ heads will ship by pair in a large Flat rate USPS box, reinforced inside, 45lbs on a limit of 70lbs. Postal rate increase about Jan 22 2023. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
40cpe
Senior Member
 
40cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 3,952
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

That piston reads 3 5/16 and .030. Would that be .030 over 3 5/16?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the best carburetion for the engine you have and the way you drive is a small base Rochester 2G from a 265 or 283 SBC on a bored out Mercury 4-bolt manifold. The small base 2G flows about as much as 2 94's or 97's and is a lot easier to tune. You will have to change the distributor to use one though.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the CR numbers from the manufacturers charts. There are too many factors affecting the final CR. The heads should also be checked and modified for optimum efficiency (increasing both performance and economy). The camshaft can also effect the dynamic compression ratio; do you know what's in your engine?

Last edited by tubman; 01-08-2023 at 03:02 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:01 PM   #6
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
That piston reads 3 5/16 and .030. Would that be .030 over 3 5/16?
It sure looks like it!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:03 PM   #7
oldbugger
Senior Member
 
oldbugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 517
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

2Xon the 2G, works great with chev dist
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #8
cadillac512
Senior Member
 
cadillac512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 546
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

With that bore (3.3425") and the 4" crank you have 280.8 cubic inches. As for the heads, no way is it even close to 11:1 compression...maybe between 8 and 9:1. I also agree with the 2G Rochester setup, but to answer your question... yes the single 94 will work and will have great power down low but limit top end.
__________________
"It don't take but country smarts to solve the problem" (Smokey Yunick)


'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:44 PM   #9
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
In fact the 8cm or EAC Merc heads will help lower compression slightly over 8ba's or EAB heads. All late '49+ heads will ship by pair in a large Flat rate USPS box, reinforced inside, 45lbs on a limit of 70lbs. Postal rate increase about Jan 22 2023. Newc
I’ve got a bunch of stock cast iron heads, if these offenhauser heads don’t have too high compression then I’ll run them, I wanted aftermarket ones for better cooling in the summer anyway, my other concern about the higher compression is the starter being able to keep up
The aluminum 8ba heads I have are from early 49 from what I’ve researched, same dimensions as the regular 8ba heads just made from aluminum( in Canada) due to an iron shortage supposedly?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Your engine is not 275 cubes, more like 260 cubes. That will lower your compression some. For a daily driver, I would use the 94 and the Ford heads.
So there shouldnít be any fueling issues or having it run too lean with the single 94? Thatís what some people have told me, as a daily could those offenhauser heads still work?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:49 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 10,576
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
I’ve got a bunch of stock cast iron heads, if these offenhauser heads don’t have too high compression then I’ll run them, I wanted aftermarket ones for better cooling in the summer anyway, my other concern about the higher compression is the starter being able to keep up

Because of the very design of the transfer area in a flathead engine, it just about impossible to end-up with TOO HIGH of a compression ratio.

Sounds like you need to steer clear of all the flathead experts you have been talking to up until now.

Coop

.
__________________
SOMETIMES, we don't do so good!

Click Links Below __


'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN


T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the best carburetion for the engine you have and the way you drive is a small base Rochester 2G from a 265 or 283 SBC on a bored out Mercury 4-bolt manifold. The small base 2G flows about as much as 2 94's or 97's and is a lot easier to tune. You will have to change the distributor to use one though.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the CR numbers from the manufacturers charts. There are too many factors affecting the final CR. The heads should also be checked and modified for optimum efficiency (increasing both performance and economy). The camshaft can also effect the dynamic compression ratio; do you know what's in your engine?
Yeah, ideally Iíd run the 4bbl but I havenít been able to find one yet, there is one on rock auto last time we looked for out 55 bel air but then itís another 800 or so and I have a surplus of 94ís especially since the tri power came all set up with three other than the fuel lines, the distributer is planned, 12 volt is first though and I needed to buy a 12v solenoid for the overdrive, how do you modify the offenhauser heads for efficiency? I have a hunch itís a stock cam due to the high compression heads so there canít be much lift, itís another thing I need to check, I can just see how much a valve moves off itís seat? The guy who built the engine just stuck a stock distributer in with the tri power which seamed a little odd unless he changed out the springs?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM   #13
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Because of the very design of the transfer area in a flathead engine, it just about impossible to end-up with TOO HIGH of a compression ratio.

Sounds like you need to steer clear of all the flathead experts you have been talking to up until now.

Coop

.
The guy who said it would be too lean with the single carb doesnít know flatheadsÖ heís a newer Chevy guy, the one flathead guy that i spoke to whole builds them said it might be a little tough to get enough fuel and air into it with a single
I also considered relieving and porting but that would involve completely disassembling and not sure it would be worth the gain
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #14
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
With that bore (3.3425") and the 4" crank you have 280.8 cubic inches. As for the heads, no way is it even close to 11:1 compression...maybe between 8 and 9:1. I also agree with the 2G Rochester setup, but to answer your question... yes the single 94 will work and will have great power down low but limit top end.
So it should cause any damage running a single 94 for now? Part of why I was going to keep it on a single with this engine was for break in and get everything set up to run multiple or 4bbl
And then my question with the heads is having to run higher octane or not
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:11 PM   #15
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
Yeah, ideally I’d run the 4bbl but I haven’t been able to find one yet, there is one on rock auto last time we looked for out 55 bel air but then it’s another 800 or so and I have a surplus of 94’s especially since the tri power came all set up with three other than the fuel lines, the distributer is planned, 12 volt is first though and I needed to buy a 12v solenoid for the overdrive, how do you modify the offenhauser heads for efficiency? I have a hunch it’s a stock cam due to the high compression heads so there can’t be much lift, it’s another thing I need to check, I can just see how much a valve moves off it’s seat? The guy who built the engine just stuck a stock distributer in with the tri power which seamed a little odd unless he changed out the springs?
Just so you know, a 2G is a two-barrel carburetor used on the early SBC's and other GM V8's. They come in two basic varieties; small base and large base. The mounting bolt patterns are different. The small base variety will bolt to a stock '49-'53 Mercury manifold which is a a bolt on for a Ford. They are quite a bit cheaper and less complicated than a 4 barrel. The throttle bores are bigger than the Mercury manifold and it should be bored out to match the carburetor

Any heads you use. whether stock or aftermarket, should be checked for fit. Basically you want to get a uniform clearance of .045" to 050" over the piston crown. There are several threads on here and the H.A.M.B. that detail the process. If you have the manifold off. check for the presence of adjustable lifters. If present, chances are you have an after market cam.

The 8BA series of flatheads used a different advance system than other cars. It is called a Load-a-Matic system. It is vacuum advance only with no mechanical (centrifugal) advance. It uses a vacuum signal taken of of a port on the middle back of the carb. Using regular manifold vacuum (or even ported vacuum) will cause the distributor's advance system to function improperly. The solution is to use either an old Mallory dual point distributor or have a SBC distributor converted to fit your engine. Since the springs inside the distributor only function to control the special vacuum signal, changing them won't hep.

Last edited by tubman; 01-08-2023 at 10:57 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:51 PM   #16
cadillac512
Senior Member
 
cadillac512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 546
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
So it should cause any damage running a single 94 for now? Part of why I was going to keep it on a single with this engine was for break in and get everything set up to run multiple or 4bbl
And then my question with the heads is having to run higher octane or not

No, it won't cause any damage. Actually it's a good plan to break it in and make sure all is well before modifying the fuel system. My bet is that you'll be fine on regular fuel. The compression is just not going to be that high.

More important will be ensuring that the radiator is absolutely clean, correct and in good condition.
__________________
"It don't take but country smarts to solve the problem" (Smokey Yunick)


'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:22 AM   #17
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just so you know, a 2G is a two-barrel carburetor used on the early SBC's and other GM V8's. They come in two basic varieties; small base and large base. The mounting bolt patterns are different. The small base variety will bolt to a stock '49-'53 Mercury manifold which is a a bolt on for a Ford. They are quite a bit cheaper and less complicated than a 4 barrel. The throttle bores are bigger than the Mercury manifold and it should be bored out to match the carburetor

Any heads you use. whether stock or aftermarket, should be checked for fit. Basically you want to get a uniform clearance of .045" to 050" over the piston crown. There are several threads on here and the H.A.M.B. that detail the process. If you have the manifold off. check for the presence of adjustable lifters. If present, chances are you have an after market cam.

The 8BA series of flatheads used a different advance system than other cars. It is called a Load-a-Matic system. It is vacuum advance only with no mechanical (centrifugal) advance. It uses a vacuum signal taken of of a port on the middle back of the carb. Using regular manifold vacuum (or even ported vacuum) will cause the distributor's advance system to function improperly. The solution is to use either an old Mallory dual point distributor or have a SBC distributor converted to fit your engine. Since the springs inside the distributor only function to control the special vacuum signal, changing them won't hep.
Right, I should have payed more attention, I thought you were referring to the small 4bbl that came on the Chevy 265, as for lifters yes it has adjustables, is there a way to see what cam is has without pulling it out?
There a bigger 2bbl carb mounted on an intake in ns, it looks like itís a 4 volt base
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29284CF2-52B6-4DB6-AE58-6144E8845738.jpg (8.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 4456E52A-C6EE-4AC8-95B8-FD7E8068906C.jpg (6.1 KB, 59 views)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #18
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
No, it won't cause any damage. Actually it's a good plan to break it in and make sure all is well before modifying the fuel system. My bet is that you'll be fine on regular fuel. The compression is just not going to be that high.

More important will be ensuring that the radiator is absolutely clean, correct and in good condition.
Fine on regular with the 325 heads?
Iíve flushed the rad out several times the last time was with vinegar, it is the correct one for a shoebox
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:36 AM   #19
jimvette59
Senior Member
 
jimvette59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Perry OH
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

FYI, I have a 67 327 300 hp SBC with a wcfb that the primaries are 15/16 the same size as a 94
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:17 PM   #20
cadillac512
Senior Member
 
cadillac512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 546
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
Fine on regular with the 325 heads?
I’ve flushed the rad out several times the last time was with vinegar, it is the correct one for a shoebox

Pretty good chance it'll be fine with the 325 heads. Without actually checking the cc's of the chambers you can't know exactly how they compare with stock heads, but it's VERY difficult to get even moderately high compression on a flathead without a lot of work and modification.


UPDATE! I found the chart listing the heads. VERY small chambers that may well do just as you said...too much compression for pump gas. I apologize for the misinformation...I didn't know those heads existed.
Hopefully Pete may offer an opinion...he is a good source of info on this type of situation.


Terry
__________________
"It don't take but country smarts to solve the problem" (Smokey Yunick)


'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine

Last edited by cadillac512; 01-09-2023 at 03:56 PM.
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:00 AM   #21
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Pretty good chance it'll be fine with the 325 heads. Without actually checking the cc's of the chambers you can't know exactly how they compare with stock heads, but it's VERY difficult to get even moderately high compression on a flathead without a lot of work and modification.


UPDATE! I found the chart listing the heads. VERY small chambers that may well do just as you said...too much compression for pump gas. I apologize for the misinformation...I didn't know those heads existed.
Hopefully Pete may offer an opinion...he is a good source of info on this type of situation.


Terry
lol its probably the chart that i tried posting but it was a screenshot from my phone that didn't work apparently, is there a benefit to running heads with a chamber this small on this engine? not knowing yet what cam is in it
https://offenhauser.co/wp-content/up...talog-1987.pdf
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:25 AM   #22
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

The first thing you should do with the heads is check the clearance over the piston dome and the valves. A lot of used aluminum heads have been milled and may not even clear. Used heads sometimes have severe corrosion problems.

You will be well served finding out exactly where you are and what you have before making any big decisions. Some (most?) cams are marked on the nose which can help identify them. Pull the front cover and see what you can see. It would also be informative to determine if it has an aluminum or fiber timing gear.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:37 AM   #23
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The first thing you should do with the heads is check the clearance over the piston dome and the valves. A lot of used aluminum heads have been milled and may not even clear. Used heads sometimes have severe corrosion problems.

You will be well served finding out exactly where you are and what you have before making any big decisions. Some (most?) cams are marked on the nose which can help identify them. Pull the front cover and see what you can see. It would also be informative to determine if it has an aluminum or fiber timing gear.
As far as I know these heads havenít been ran from looking at them, EAB-A stamped on the end of the cam so Iím guessing itís a stock cam?
Also, are the old valves ok to use? How long to the old ones typically last?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C490542A-CAF6-495C-877D-A52B47AE52E8.jpg (46.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.7 KB, 35 views)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #24
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

If you're planning on running this engine in a '50 Ford Fordor, that's a pretty good cam for your application. I don't think it would be worth the time, money and effort to upgrade to an aftermarket cam.

From what I can see from the pictures supplied, that looks like a fresh engine. I don't think the valves will be much of a problem. I still think you should check the heads. Put pea-sized aluminum foil balls on the valves and crown of the pistons. Bolt the heads on without gaskets (4-6 bolts will do), and try to turn the engine over. If it stops, don't force it and try again with a set of gaskets (used will do). When you get it to turn a couple times, pull the heads and measure the foil balls with a caliper. You will be looking for .045-.050" over the piston crowns and .060" over the valves. Remember that a compressed head gasket is about .055", so be sure to take that into consideration.

Let us know what you find. Second-hand knowledge and published specs are not always reliable. I had a set of used Edmunds heads that had to have .025" milled off of them to bring the quench to optimum.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #25
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you're planning on running this engine in a '50 Ford Fordor, that's a pretty good cam for your application. I don't think it would be worth the time, money and effort to upgrade to an aftermarket cam.

From what I can see from the pictures supplied, that looks like a fresh engine. I don't think the valves will be much of a problem. I still think you should check the heads. Put pea-sized aluminum foil balls on the valves and crown of the pistons. Bolt the heads on without gaskets (4-6 bolts will do), and try to turn the engine over. If it stops, don't force it and try again with a set of gaskets (used will do). When you get it to turn a couple times, pull the heads and measure the foil balls with a caliper. You will be looking for .045-.050" over the piston crowns and .060" over the valves. Remember that a compressed head gasket is about .055", so be sure to take that into consideration.

Let us know what you find. Second-hand knowledge and published specs are not always reliable. I had a set of used Edmunds heads that had to have .025" milled off of them to bring the quench to optimum.
for now i might put ford heads on, should i check for clearance with those too? should i change out the fiber timing gear? shouldn't there also be locks on the bolt heads?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:32 PM   #26
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
for now i might put ford heads on, should i check for clearance with those too? should i change out the fiber timing gear? shouldn't there also be locks on the bolt heads?
I would check the Ford heads only if I were to plan on reworking them and running them permanently. Reworking iron heads is a lot more work than aluminum ones. I prefer aluminum timing gears, but that being said, your gear looks good and should work well. I have never seen a stripped original Ford cam gear on a flathead, though I have seen them on SBC's. The aftermarket gears are another thing entirely.

As to locks on the bolts, I do not know, since my machinist always assembles my engines and installs the cams. He is set up for it, while I am not. I'm sure someone else here has your answer.

Last edited by tubman; 01-20-2023 at 12:43 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:12 PM   #27
Bill OH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 376
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Run an Aluminum gear and use locks on the cam bolts. I stripped a fiber gear in an 8ba!!! Return the oil from the filter to the top of the timing cover - it helps the longevity of the gear.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #28
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I would check the Ford heads only if I were to plan on reworking them and running them permanently. Reworking iron heads is a lot more work than aluminum ones. I prefer aluminum timing gears, but that being said, your gear looks good and should work well. I have never seen a stripped original Ford cam gear on a flathead, though I have seen them on SBC's. The aftermarket gears are another thing entirely.

As to locks on the bolts, I do not know, since my machinist always assembles my engines and installs the cams. He is set up for it, while I am not. I'm sure someone else here has your answer.
So i have those aluminum canadian ford heads or several 8ba cast iron heads, i also have a set of "mercury" heads on another old locked up engine, would there be any benefit running truck(RT) heads on this engine?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:37 PM   #29
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
So i have those aluminum canadian ford heads or several 8ba cast iron heads, i also have a set of "mercury" heads on another old locked up engine, would there be any benefit running truck(RT) heads on this engine?
None at all. Those are the lowest compression of all the production 8BA Ford heads.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #30
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

tUBMAN HAS THE ANSWERS, THE 2gc IS THE BEST ANSWERE FOR THIS APPLICATION.
gRAMPS
Sorry about the caps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #31
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

has anyone adapted the ford intake manifold to fit that carb? those mercury manifolds seems to be few and far between up here
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #32
47topless
Senior Member
 
47topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 131
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

delete

Last edited by 47topless; 01-23-2023 at 01:18 PM.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #33
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
has anyone adapted the ford intake manifold to fit that carb? those mercury manifolds seems to be few and far between up here
There are 3 to 4 bolt adapters available, but the problem is the throttle bore size. I've never tried to bore a 3 bolt manifold, but I believe "Ol' Ron" on here has, and I believe that when you go to the full 1 7/16", it breaks through into the carb heat chamber. I think they got by that by boring it oversize and using thin sleeves.

EDIT : Here's a picture of a 3 to 4 adapter I got from Speedway Motors. I added a divide plate and it ran better than without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2BBLadapter.jpg (7.9 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by tubman; 01-21-2023 at 02:31 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:01 AM   #34
Fortunateson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 489
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Please correct me if Iím wrong...I just used the VanPelts table to calculate cubic inches on a stock Ď49 Merc engine with a 0.03 overbore and got 260.18 cu. so how did you come up with 275 cu?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:16 AM   #35
Gene1949
Senior Member
 
Gene1949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 304
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Ideally, a 4bbl (small pattern 4GC or similar) and a mechanical advance distributor with a vacuum advance can using manifold vacuum is by far the simplest and most reliable setup. Parts are readily available for both.
The primaries are same size (15/16") as the Stromberg giving you bottom end throttle response (cruising) and an air valve controlled secondary for high RPM CFM.
Old skool 3 deuces give you 3x the headaches. I sold mine complete years ago for that very reason. Besides, if you are going that route you are going to have to use a mechanical advance distributor anyway.
Granted, a 4 bbl doesn't have the "kool factor" but how kool is it sitting in
the shop waiting on parts from less than reliable suppliers?
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #36
cadillac512
Senior Member
 
cadillac512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 546
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Please correct me if Iím wrong...I just used the VanPelts table to calculate cubic inches on a stock Ď49 Merc engine with a 0.03 overbore and got 260.18 cu. so how did you come up with 275 cu?

That's because it's been bored to 3 5/16" + .030". That makes the bore size 3.3425"





Terry
__________________
"It don't take but country smarts to solve the problem" (Smokey Yunick)


'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #37
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
Ideally, a 4bbl (small pattern 4GC or similar) and a mechanical advance distributor with a vacuum advance can using manifold vacuum is by far the simplest and most reliable setup. Parts are readily available for both....
True to an extant. A 2G is a lot simpler than a 4G simply because it's a two barrel. One will flow twice what a 94 or 97 will, which is plenty. To me, the biggest factor is cost. Have you priced a small base 4G lately? (If you can even find one.) And Merc manifolds are a lot cheaper than aftermarket 4 BBL units. I had a 390 Holley on an Offenhauser manifold on my '36 and liked it a lot. However, that combination would cost between $1500 and $2000 these days unless you're a real good scrounger (and lucky).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #38
Gene1949
Senior Member
 
Gene1949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 304
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Unfortunately, true on all accounts Tubman.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:00 PM   #39
Fortunateson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 489
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
That's because it's been bored to 3 5/16" + .030". That makes the bore size 3.3425"





Terry
Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by Fortunateson; 01-22-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:22 AM   #40
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Yes, boring out a stock Ford intake manufold will probably break into the exhaust passage. However, Bell mouthing the intake to match the 2GC may limit flow, this is a street engine and how often do you run at WOT. I too consider the cost of thes projects and unless your running at Bivell Mox Nix.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #41
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There are 3 to 4 bolt adapters available, but the problem is the throttle bore size. I've never tried to bore a 3 bolt manifold, but I believe "Ol' Ron" on here has, and I believe that when you go to the full 1 7/16", it breaks through into the carb heat chamber. I think they got by that by boring it oversize and using thin sleeves.

EDIT : Here's a picture of a 3 to 4 adapter I got from Speedway Motors. I added a divide plate and it ran better than without it.
Would you recommend the adapter route? These are the carbs that came with our 55 bel air and 265 (in pieces)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0919659A-B666-4BFD-B5CC-7F8DE4B7E690.jpg (31.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 533BAF88-D856-4876-830D-9E18EFEF9AF5.jpg (44.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 5A9AF4F9-DD20-4513-85B3-31F0B105F608.jpg (38.3 KB, 12 views)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #42
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Also, a guy that I’ve been talking to in calgary that builds flatheads, race and street engines has an isky 3/4 max 1 that he recommends, what’re your guy’s thoughts on this cam in this engine vs the ford eab cam?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #43
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

I also have Sanderson headers in the car now with 2” all the way back with glass packs, not that these engines can move much air but I got a good deal on them so that’s what I’ve got
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:28 PM   #44
28fordroadster
Member
 
28fordroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 84
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

I was going to ask about those 3 bolt to 4 bolt adapters, Thanks for bringing them up in this thread. Tubman and ol ron you guys know your stuff. What a great thread! I have scrounged a 4 bolt merc intake and a bubba's chevy distributor. I can't wait to try them.
Gramps... what's happening with that perfect engine build thread?
28fordroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:04 AM   #45
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

I don't use an adapter. Just fill theOS vacuun port with JB weld and drill the third hole. Alittle filing to the front holes will drop right on. Most problems can be solved with money, but thinking is much cheaper when you don't have any!!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #46
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I don't use an adapter. Just fill theOS vacuun port with JB weld and drill the third hole. Alittle filing to the front holes will drop right on. Most problems can be solved with money, but thinking is much cheaper when you don't have any!!
So you end up using just three bolts to mount the 2G. Good thinking. I never would have thought of doing that. I started collecting Merc manifolds as soon as I found out that a 2G (small base) fit perfectly.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #47
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Yes the merc intake is a better option , as it can be bored to the right size. Unfortunately, not everybody is that luckily.
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:03 PM   #48
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
Also, a guy that Iíve been talking to in calgary that builds flatheads, race and street engines has an isky 3/4 max 1 that he recommends, whatíre your guyís thoughts on this cam in this engine vs the ford eab cam?
Reading a previous post about that cam itís good for stock displacement engines, how would it do in a 272?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:12 PM   #49
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Are these 8cm heads any different than the 8ba heads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0B5F952-ABD1-4390-B99E-A146BC5E75FE.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:18 PM   #50
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Yep. larger chambers. For some reason, Ford Motor Company decided to keep the compression ratio the same for Fords and Mercury's (which have larger a cylinder volume because of the longer stroke), so they made the chambers larger to keep the C/R equal. They are more like an 8RT head.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:07 AM   #51
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Yep. larger chambers. For some reason, Ford Motor Company decided to keep the compression ratio the same for Fords and Mercury's (which have larger a cylinder volume because of the longer stroke), so they made the chambers larger to keep the C/R equal. They are more like an 8RT head.
So a good combo is the merc stroke with ford heads?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #52
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 2,379
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Yes EAB Ford heads……but you still need to check the amount of “squish”….Mark
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:18 AM   #53
Ken Henry
Senior Member
 
Ken Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 251
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

The Max-1 will make more power sacrificing low rpm torque. The book Flathead facts has nice dyno results. I think it is worth it… There is more lift so valve clearance needs checking.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:23 AM   #54
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

This is a always a good reference : https://www.tildentechnologies.com/C...rformance.html. It shows a stock 8BA cam to have a lift of .307", an Isky MAX-1 to have .350", and an 8CM comes in at .337" (unfortunately, there are no specs for EAB, although I would expect it to be similar to the 8CM). Thus you can see that an 8CM (and probably an EAB) are a significant upgrade over the stock 8BA cam, approaching the MAX-1 in lift. When I did the Merc in my '51 club coupe, I had a new MAX-1 cam and kit I was going to use, but after some thought and discussions here and on the H.A.M.B., I decided to keep the 8CM. The way the car performs, I think it was the right decision.

I used the MAX-1 in a 258" engine for the "T" tub I am building. I figured it was better in an 1800 lb car than one the weighs in at a hefty 3200.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:53 PM   #55
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This is a always a good reference : https://www.tildentechnologies.com/C...rformance.html. It shows a stock 8BA cam to have a lift of .307", an Isky MAX-1 to have .350", and an 8CM comes in at .337" (unfortunately, there are no specs for EAB, although I would expect it to be similar to the 8CM). Thus you can see that an 8CM (and probably an EAB) are a significant upgrade over the stock 8BA cam, approaching the MAX-1 in lift. When I did the Merc in my '51 club coupe, I had a new MAX-1 cam and kit I was going to use, but after some thought and discussions here and on the H.A.M.B., I decided to keep the 8CM. The way the car performs, I think it was the right decision.

I used the MAX-1 in a 258" engine for the "T" tub I am building. I figured it was better in an 1800 lb car than one the weighs in at a hefty 3200.
Found a post on the H.A.M.B about the eab cam, .328 supposedly so if thatís true itís not far off from the 8cm
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ab-cam.398204/
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:35 PM   #56
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Anyone rebuilding a flathead should get a copy of JWL's book. This can save you a great deal of mone and get a better engine for the money you do spend. Max VP has them. And you;ll help his widow.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:45 PM   #57
miniceptor86
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 196
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Excuse my ignorance. What is JWL’s book?
__________________
Cheers,
Jim&Sandy
McGregor, IA
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:51 PM   #58
miniceptor86
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 196
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Oh and I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I scored this Merc manifold, bored it out with a drill press and hole saw followed up with a sanding drum in a hand drill.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=45339
__________________
Cheers,
Jim&Sandy
McGregor, IA

Last edited by miniceptor86; 01-25-2023 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Add photos
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #59
Ken Henry
Senior Member
 
Ken Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 251
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Flathead Facts. Excellent reading
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #60
miniceptor86
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 196
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Thanks.
__________________
Cheers,
Jim&Sandy
McGregor, IA
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:12 PM   #61
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 10,576
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Excuse my ignorance. What is JWLís book?

"JWL" is John W. Lawson, a most-knowledgeable and experienced flathead guy, whom unfortunately, we just lost this past year. You can get the book at Amazon, or at Mac VanPelt's site. This is THE flathead book!

Coop


__________________
SOMETIMES, we don't do so good!

Click Links Below __


'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN


T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:35 AM   #62
miniceptor86
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 196
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Flathead Facts is no longer available on Amazon.
__________________
Cheers,
Jim&Sandy
McGregor, IA
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:06 PM   #63
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Ok so far here’s the plan/build
C1ba(8ba) block, 4”crank, 3 5/16 pistons .030 over, EAB-A camshaft(not sure what the “A” stands for), ford 8ba aluminum heads, (I have one eab head lying around but could never find the other side), adjustable lifters, stock ford intake(for now), stock distributer(for now), looks like I can rob an aluminum cam gear from one of my other engines
Anything I’m forgetting? Il be checking the piston to head clearance tonight
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:10 AM   #64
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

This gives 280 Pus ci. I have the same engine in my truck, along with the EAB cam as well, Intake is a merc with 2GC carb and a chevy distributor. Rear axle is a spicer 44 with 3.73 gears and posi. Trans is a T170 with 3 spd OD In a 47 Int KB1 Took the truck to the Weston, Andover hill in VT and drove the truck up in OD to the top of this 14% Maintaining 50 MPH. Unfortunately, The speed droped to 43 MPH over the top engine was turning 1300 RPM The torque of this engine is un believable. Truck is fore sale
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #65
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
This gives 280 Pus ci. I have the same engine in my truck, along with the EAB cam as well, Intake is a merc with 2GC carb and a chevy distributor. Rear axle is a spicer 44 with 3.73 gears and posi. Trans is a T170 with 3 spd OD In a 47 Int KB1 Took the truck to the Weston, Andover hill in VT and drove the truck up in OD to the top of this 14% Maintaining 50 MPH. Unfortunately, The speed droped to 43 MPH over the top engine was turning 1300 RPM The torque of this engine is un believable. Truck is fore sale
Gramps
And for a driver torque is more desirable than hp?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:51 PM   #66
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 10,576
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
And for a driver torque is more desirable than hp?

Oh YEAH! Torque is the force that makes your face look pleasingly-funny as you get on it. In other words, torque is what causes your butt to be plastered into the seat as you accelerate through the gears.

Coop

.
__________________
SOMETIMES, we don't do so good!

Click Links Below __


'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN


T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:19 PM   #67
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

It is known that Torque and Horsepower are always equal at 5252 RPM. Given that even a reasonably modified flathead will never approach the RPM, what do you think?

Real Racers need not respond; That's a completely different set of circumstances.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #68
Alberta50fordor
Member
 
Alberta50fordor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 59
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

pulled a piston out and found the rod bearings to be the floating style(one bearing for two rods) is this good or bad? connecting rod journals have two oil holes, short skirt(for a flathead) 3 ring pistons

Last edited by Alberta50fordor; 01-28-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:53 AM   #69
miniceptor86
Senior Member
 
miniceptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: McGregor, IA
Posts: 196
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It is known that Torque and Horsepower are always equal at 5252 RPM. Given that even a reasonably modified flathead will never approach the RPM, what do you think?

Real Racers need not respond; That's a completely different set of circumstances.
Horsepower was an early sales gimmick so that prospective buyers of steam power could relate the the steam engineís power to the familiar horse.
__________________
Cheers,
Jim&Sandy
McGregor, IA
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #70
Ken Henry
Senior Member
 
Ken Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 251
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Torque without engine speed is useless. I can apply whatever you want with my arm and a long enough bar. Physics tells us that power moves and accelerates things including our Fords.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #71
JayChicago
Senior Member
 
JayChicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 539
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It is known that Torque and Horsepower are always equal at 5252 RPM.
Whaaat?! Never heard that before. Please explain.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #72
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 9,463
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Whaaat?! Never heard that before. Please explain.
As "miniceptor86" said in an earlier post : "Horsepower was an early sales gimmick so that prospective buyers of steam power could relate the the steam engine’s power to the familiar horse." Horsepower is an extrapolation from the torque reading, calculated by a formula. Since it is a merely a calculation, there is always one value where it will be equal.

Last edited by tubman; 01-29-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Gotta spell someone's name correctly
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #73
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 10,576
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Whaaat?! Never heard that before. Please explain.

Jay.... You MAY need to watch this vid a couple of times for it to sink-in, but this kid explains it fairly well. DON'T let yourself get hung-up on "5,252 RPMs". Click the link BELOW!

Coop


https://youtu.be/lt7iUBE3_AE

.
__________________
SOMETIMES, we don't do so good!

Click Links Below __


'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN


T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #74
Roger/Sacramento
Senior Member
 
Roger/Sacramento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PRINEVILLE, OR.
Posts: 486
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

In my 41 Pickup with a 4 speed tranny I have a late block 276 CID with an L100 cam, 3-97's, Offie heads and crab ignition. It runs great with good pull thru the gears. Drive it around town often. I wouldn't change a thing.
__________________
KIM KARDASHIAN ISN'T FLAT, BUT MY MOTOR IS.....

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:30 PM   #75
JayChicago
Senior Member
 
JayChicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 539
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Tubman & Coopman
Thanks for the explanations. I learned something. I get the 5252 RPMs isn't meaningful, is just a number-crunching value in the formula. What is meaningful is: "Horsepower is an extrapolation from the torque reading, calculated by a formula." I did not know that.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #76
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 8,512
Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

When building an engine, consider the application. This usually cost less, and gives better gas mileage.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.