Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
Zeke5180

Default Front & rear window replacement

My front & rear windows on my 37 standard slantback are delaminating. Does anyone have experience in removing and replacing the windows? What things should I be aware of and is it something a back alley mechanic like myself can handle? Always thankful for your help and comments.

Zeke
Zeke5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
1937sedandelivery

Default Re: Front & rear window replacement

Hi Zeke,
I have replaced front and rears on my 37 Fordor Slantback. The biggest help for me was to hold on to the original glass and carefully look for marks on the glass where it is seated into the channel runner. This will tell you where to center the glass within the channel.
I believe there are multiple threads on this site and the Early V8 site that describe the replacement process. I remember having to tilt the front glass side and then down into the vertical felted channels, finally engaging the center roller stud (or whatever it is called).
It is not real difficult, just gotta be patient and juggle things around. If you come up dry with the searches, I can takes some pics and walk you through what I did.

Good luck,
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Zeke5180

Gregg,

Thanks for getting back to me. Should the whole windshield frame be removed from the car before attempting to replace the glass or does the windshield remain attached? This is going to be a fall project so I'm trying to get as much knowledge as possible.

Zeke
Old 08-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
1937sedandelivery

Zeke,
You are talking about the front windshield?
If so, then yes, the entire windshield including frame should be removed from the car. It is pretty straightforward. Two hinges at the top and two at the bottom. The bottom ones are part of the windshield crankout mechanism.

Let's make sure we are on the same page.
gregg
Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Zeke5180

Gregg,

We are on the same page. The front windshield removal as a whole unit is what I was questioning. I was concerned about the crank out mechanism. Thanks again for your reply.

Zeke
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
1937sedandelivery

OK, good luck. Let me know if you have other questions.
Attached is a pdf showing the hinges etc. One thing to note is that the actual frame that is shown is NOT a 37. I have no idea what year it is. Strangely enough, it was on my 37 SD when I bought it in '69. I never had any idea it was incorrect, until I went to replace the windshield on my 37 Fordor.
gregg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf windshield stuff.pdf (1.77 MB, 23 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
1937sedandelivery

On a related note, I have replaced the glass in two 37 front windshields. Both times I twisted off some of the screws, 4 in one frame, 3 in the other. Point being, be REAL careful and patient. Soak all the screws with a good penetrant and wait for a couple days. Heat may also help. It ain't no fun to drill out the old stubs and re-thread them. In addition to the screws that hold on the hinges, there are screws on the side of the frame that hold a square metal bar in place. I managed to break off some of those screws. In one case, things got so buggered that I decided to remove the bar. I cut the bar in half where the two piece of the frame come together. I recall it was 1/4" square stock. Getting the old pieces out was terrible, a much longer story...
gregg
Old 08-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
Zeke5180

Gregg,

Thanks for the PDF file and the cautionary notes on removing the front windshield. The PDF file will definitely come in handy. Thanks so much.

Zeke