Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #21
MIRoger

Default Re: replacing glass in 1933 standard fordor

Tempered glass does not splinter. I produces small fragments when broken. As stated in my previous post it is used today in car and truck production and has been used for long time. Glass that splinters is illegal for automotive use per US federal automotive standards.
MIRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #22
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoger View Post
Tempered glass does not splinter. I produces small fragments when broken. As stated in my previous post it is used today in car and truck production and has been used for long time. Glass that splinters is illegal for automotive use per US federal automotive standards.
So tempered is safer than laminated because you won't get trapped in the car if something happens...
Do you think I should go with that rather than laminated?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoger View Post
So tempered is safer than laminated because you won't get trapped in the car if something happens...
Do you think I should go with that rather than laminated?
I guess laminated is like the original and it would seem to prevent people from breaking your windows to get in you car too.
What do most antique car people use?

I think I am going with the Laminated glass...I will put the bug on it.
I think it is not only more authentic, but safer too. Thieves can't easily break the glass with one of those punches they use for modern tempered glass..

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-28-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
FrankWest

Just as well, my window cranks are very very stiff but still function. I would have had to get at them anyway to lubricate/renew or whatever.
I am only a little frightened about window handles that are just pressed on. Maybe I should buy one used mechanism so that I can study it before I butcher my own car.
Unfortunately disassemble of the door without distorting something such that it never looks right again, is my biggest worry.
In the picture below, I assume the window handle is pressed on the yellow circled post?

Is there a special tool to use to pry the handle off? Or just a screw driver.
I have to learn just what I have to take apart to get be able to replace the glass and lubricate the gears. I will look again at DavidG's detailed post.
I don't want to just take everything apart and then realize later that I could have left most of the parts together.
Two things scare me:

Pressed on parts...Hard to remove and hard to put back on.
Disassembling all materials in the the entire door and never being able to fit them back together so that they never look right again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windowMecanism.jpg (19.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 AM   #25
DavidG

The inside door and window crank handles aren't pressed on. They are retained with a pin through the shank of the regulator shaft (in your yellow circle). The only pressing involved is on the escutcheon up against the door trim panel to access the pin. As you note, please re-read what I wrote earlier.

For your information, the regulator in your photo is not a '33, but rather appears to be a '34 so don't be alarmed if yours looks very different from that in the photo (when you get to that point in the disassembly process).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #26
FrankWest

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the door/window details and parts for a 1933 ford?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #27
woodiewagon46

I just did the "Bugs" on the windows in my '46 Station wagon. I purchased them from the people that purchased the company from Nacewicz. I can't believe how nice they came out.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #28
FrankWest

Did you use Laminated Glass?